Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: File path weirdness
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting File path weirdness Post 302494526 by BeefStu on Monday 7th of February 2011 02:04:30 PM
Old 02-07-2011
Not sure I get what your trying to do. But if this works for other
directories I would check the permissions on the file system where your
trying to place the file. Open it up with chmod 777 and see if that solves
your problem than close it up as needed.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vi - replacing a relative path with absolute path in a file

Hi, I have a file with about 60 lines of path: app-defaults/boxXYZ....... I want to change this to /my/path/goes/here/app-defaults/boxXYZ, but of course vi doesn't like the regualr :s/old/new/ command. Is there any other quick way to do this? Thanks ;) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yinzer955i
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cygwin bash startup command weirdness (part 1)

I am running (I believe) the latest stable version of cygwin CYGWIN_NT-5.1 1.5.24(0.156/4/2) 2007-01-31 10:57 i686 Cygwin on a win xp sp2 laptop. Suppose, to make things simple for now (but I may do a part 2 posting...), that I am in a dos shell, and I want to create a bash shell and have it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fabulous2
1 Replies

3. IP Networking

ftp and ssh weirdness

i've just setup my desktop (ubuntu 8.04) to run vsftpd and sshd. i have two laptops, both running linux. on one laptop i can connect to the desktop via ftp and ssh and everything works fine. so i don't think there's a problem with the server. on the other laptop i can't connect to the desktop... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: darkmatter14B
3 Replies

4. Solaris

SSH weirdness

I've configured a new container/zone on Solaris 10 (Sparc) and I'm using Centrify for LDAP authentication to AD. My ssh client is as follows Sun_SSH_1.1.1, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090704f I'm seeing some strange behavior from ssh. When I ssh onto the new zone to myself (non-root... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: CDM
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieve directory path from full file path through sh

Hi, I have a file abcd.txt which has contents in the form of full path file names i.e. $home> vi abcd.txt /a/b/c/r1.txt /q/w/e/r2.txt /z/x/c/r3.txt Now I want to retrieve only the directory path name for each row i.e /a/b/c/ /q/w/e/ How to get the same through shell script?... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: royzlife
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

gedit newline weirdness

I have this file cd /media/AUDIO/WAVE/9780743561181 ~/Desktop/mp3-to-m4b 9780743561181-UNLEASHING THE IDEA VIRUS "UNLEASHING THE IDEA VIRUS" "GODIN, SETH" 2006 n cd /media/AUDIO/WAVE/9780743561204 ~/Desktop/mp3-to-m4b 9780743561204-STALIN'S GHOST "STALIN'S GHOST" "SMITH, MARTIN" 2007 n cd... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: glev2005
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Zpool device weirdness

Weird duplicate device in one of my nested raidz1s - device is shown as both online and unavailable, with a hot spare showing up as degraded as well. Any thoughts on how I should proceed? root@storage# zpool status tank pool: tank state: DEGRADED status: One or more devices are... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: DoohanMcGirk
6 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris 11 sysconfig and zones weirdness

when I create a new zone either via zfs export template or installing the OS from the .iso I get a weird problem. once I create the zone and login for the first time to the console I get the sysconfig menu. I do the config setup and exit the zone boots normally. The next time I reboot, I have to do... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: os2mac
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining 3 line weirdness

Hi all you Unix/Linux gurus, So, I have something strage going on and need a sanity check... I have 2 files that both contain 3 lines of text... File1 - called t: CN66270E90 94:57:a5:d3:db:aa 94:57:a5:d3:db:ab File2 - called tt: hostname 5.7.2.7 72:8C:36:3B:5A:17 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: joeg1484
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Convert Relative path to Absolute path, without changing directory to the file location.

Hello, I am creating a file with all the source folders included in my git branch, when i grep for the used source, i found source included as relative path instead of absolute path, how can convert relative path to absolute path without changing directory to that folder and using readlink -f ? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sekhar419
4 Replies
mkdir(1)							   User Commands							  mkdir(1)

NAME
mkdir - make directories SYNOPSIS
mkdir [-m mode] [-p] dir... DESCRIPTION
The mkdir command creates the named directories in mode 777 (possibly altered by the file mode creation mask umask(1)). Standard entries in a directory (for instance, the files ".", for the directory itself, and "..", for its parent) are made automatically. mkdir cannot create these entries by name. Creation of a directory requires write permission in the parent directory. The owner-ID and group-ID of the new directories are set to the process's effective user-ID and group-ID, respectively. mkdir calls the mkdir(2) system call. setgid and mkdir To change the setgid bit on a newly created directory, you must use chmod g+s or chmod g-s after executing mkdir. The setgid bit setting is inherited from the parent directory. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -m mode This option allows users to specify the mode to be used for new directories. Choices for modes can be found in chmod(1). -p With this option, mkdir creates dir by creating all the non-existing parent directories first. The mode given to intermedi- ate directories will be the difference between 777 and the bits set in the file mode creation mask. The difference, how- ever, must be at least 300 (write and execute permission for the user). OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: dir A path name of a directory to be created. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of mkdir when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1: Using mkdir The following example: example% mkdir -p ltr/jd/jan creates the subdirectory structure ltr/jd/jan. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of mkdir: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 All the specified directories were created successfully or the -p option was specified and all the specified directories now exist. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
rm(1), sh(1), umask(1), intro(2), mkdir(2), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 1 Feb 1995 mkdir(1)