Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Creating Filesystem using DD for LVM Post 302490607 by sriram003 on Tuesday 25th of January 2011 09:10:48 AM
Old 01-25-2011
Thanks a lot,

I think i made a mistake here.

After creating the disk
dd if=/dev/zero of=/FAW/vms/linux_vm/disk2.img bs=1 count=1024 seek=500G

I created a file system:

mke2fs disk2.img

After creating physical,logical volumes i again tried to create filesystem and it hanged.

mkfs.ext3 /dev/xen-vm/xen_prov

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Creating a shared filesystem

Hi everybody, Is it possible to create a Shared Filesystem on Network to be accessed from 2 Systems? Both systems are AIX but with different versions. One of these systems is AIX 4.3 & the other is AIX 5.2. Thanks in advanced (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: aldowsary
8 Replies

2. Solaris

creating new filesystem

# df -h Filesystem size used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/dsk/c1d0s0 4.5G 4.3G 129M 98% / /devices 0K 0K 0K 0% /devices ctfs 0K 0K 0K 0% /system/contract proc 0K 0K ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: seyiisq
4 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Creating filesystem of 2MB size

Hi all, I would like to ask on how to create 2MB partition on a Compact Flash card. It supposed to be of FAT12 type, and the CF capacity is 4GB. I try to do the partitioning and specify the size as 2MB but the partition editor automatically resize it to 8MB. I know that this is possible and the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: archayl
4 Replies

4. Red Hat

Creating filesystem on new LUN

I'm new to linux and need information on how do I create a filesytem on a dedicated on LUN for RHEL 4 and 5? I want the filesystem to be a ext3 ---------- Post updated at 10:00 AM ---------- Previous update was at 08:56 AM ---------- Found the answer. This thread can be closed. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: soupbone38
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

Growing filesystem using LVM

Hi, I have a LUN presented to a Linux system and would like to ask if someone can advise if the logical volume /dev/mapper/VGOra-LVOra 12G 11G 659M 95% /usr/app/oracle can be extended. Is there any free space to allocate.... The LUN (25G) has been configured as follows: LUN - ROOT...... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamba1
4 Replies

6. Linux

Creating /boot partition for LVM VG

Hi, I have a server booted into sysresccd (mini-linux OS) with 1 40 GB disk attached I am trying to create a volume group and restore another server into the new one However, when I try to create a partition for /boot it seems that my VG in LVM is not recognized anymore These are the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: galuzan
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

Expand EXT3 filesystem ( No LVM)

hi, In my production server having Enterprise Linux Enterprise Linux Server release 5.5 (Carthage) Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.5 (Tikanga) we have a filesystem of 197 gb (Type ext 3) Hadisk in which this filesystem reside is sdb is of 217 gb. (NO LVM) Now I want to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: salmanraza
6 Replies

8. AIX

Process using/creating files in the filesystem

Hello Team, In a application filesystem, there is a process keep creating the log files. Due to that the filesystem keep getting full. Please let me know how to identify the process which is keep writing in the filesystem. fuser -u <FS> will show only the user who using the filesystem.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowthamakanthan
3 Replies

9. Linux

Creating file systems (LVM v Multipath)

Hi all I have a system running: uname -o GNU/Linux that has already some file systems created: df -h Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/mapper/vg_outsystemdb-lv_root 50G 2.7G 45G 6% / tmpfs 28G 72K 28G 1%... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Creating filesystem in LDOMs

Hi, I have a task of creating a UFS filesystem in an LDOM. It is located in a hypervisor (CDOM). The storage has been provisioned to the CDOM. How do I make it reflect to the LDOM, and then from there configure/set up the filesystem in the LDOM? Please help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
1 Replies
virt-format(1)						      Virtualization Support						    virt-format(1)

NAME
virt-format - Erase and make a blank disk SYNOPSIS
virt-format [--options] -a disk.img [-a disk.img ...] DESCRIPTION
Virt-format takes an existing disk file (or it can be a host partition, LV etc), erases all data on it, and formats it as a blank disk. It can optionally create partition tables, empty filesystems, logical volumes and more. To create a disk containing data, you may be better to use virt-make-fs(1). If you are creating a blank disk to use in guestfish(1), you should instead use the guestfish -N option. Normal usage would be something like this: virt-format -a disk.qcow or this: virt-format -a /dev/VG/LV "disk.qcow" or "/dev/VG/LV" must exist already. Any data on these disks will be erased by these commands. These commands will create a single empty partition covering the whole disk, with no filesystem inside it. Additional parameters can be used to control the creation of partitions, filesystems, etc. The most commonly used options are: --filesystem=[ext3|ntfs|vfat|...] Create an empty filesystem ("ext3", "ntfs" etc) inside the partition. --lvm[=/dev/VG/LV] Create a Linux LVM2 logical volume on the disk. When used with --filesystem, the filesystem is created inside the LV. For more information about these and other options, see "OPTIONS" below. The format of the disk is normally auto-detected, but you can also force it by using the --format option (q.v.). In situations where you do not trust the existing content of the disk, then it is advisable to use this option to avoid possible exploits. OPTIONS
--help Display brief help. -a file --add file Add file, a disk image, host partition, LV, external USB disk, etc. The format of the disk image is auto-detected. To override this and force a particular format use the --format=.. option. Any existing data on the disk is erased. -a URI --add URI Add a remote disk. See "ADDING REMOTE STORAGE" in guestfish(1). --filesystem=ext3|ntfs|vfat|... Create an empty filesystem of the specified type. Many filesystem types are supported by libguestfs. --filesystem=none Create no filesystem. This is the default. --format=raw|qcow2|.. --format The default for the -a option is to auto-detect the format of the disk image. Using this forces the disk format for -a options which follow on the command line. Using --format with no argument switches back to auto-detection for subsequent -a options. For example: virt-format --format=raw -a disk.img forces raw format (no auto-detection) for "disk.img". virt-format --format=raw -a disk.img --format -a another.img forces raw format (no auto-detection) for "disk.img" and reverts to auto-detection for "another.img". If you have untrusted raw-format guest disk images, you should use this option to specify the disk format. This avoids a possible security problem with malicious guests (CVE-2010-3851). --label=LABEL Set the filesystem label. --lvm=/dev/VG/LV Create a Linux LVM2 logical volume called "/dev/VG/LV". You can change the name of the volume group and logical volume. --lvm Create a Linux LVM2 logical volume with the default name ("/dev/VG/LV"). --lvm=none Create no logical volume. This is the default. --partition Create either an MBR or GPT partition covering the whole disk. MBR is chosen if the disk size is < 2 TB, GPT if >= 2 TB. This is the default. --partition=gpt Create a GPT partition. --partition=mbr Create an MBR partition. --partition=none Create no partition table. Note that Windows may not be able to see these disks. -v --verbose Enable verbose messages for debugging. -V --version Display version number and exit. --wipe Normally virt-format does not wipe data from the disk (because that takes a long time). Thus if there is data on the disk, it is only hidden and partially overwritten by virt-format, and it might be recovered by disk editing tools. If you use this option, virt-format writes zeroes over the whole disk so that previous data is not recoverable. -x Enable tracing of libguestfs API calls. EXIT STATUS
This program returns 0 on success, or 1 on failure. SEE ALSO
guestfs(3), guestfish(1), virt-filesystems(1), virt-make-fs(1), virt-rescue(1), virt-resize(1), http://libguestfs.org/. AUTHOR
Richard W.M. Jones http://people.redhat.com/~rjones/ COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2012 Red Hat Inc. LICENSE
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA. BUGS
To get a list of bugs against libguestfs, use this link: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/buglist.cgi?component=libguestfs&product=Virtualization+Tools To report a new bug against libguestfs, use this link: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/enter_bug.cgi?component=libguestfs&product=Virtualization+Tools When reporting a bug, please supply: o The version of libguestfs. o Where you got libguestfs (eg. which Linux distro, compiled from source, etc) o Describe the bug accurately and give a way to reproduce it. o Run libguestfs-test-tool(1) and paste the complete, unedited output into the bug report. libguestfs-1.22.6 2013-08-24 virt-format(1)