Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: inconsistent cat output
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users inconsistent cat output Post 302490030 by methyl on Sunday 23rd of January 2011 02:21:38 PM
Old 01-23-2011
Hard to guess without knowing whether this is a normal unix text file or whether the file is open for write by another process.
In case the data contains screen control codes, you could try:
Code:
cat -v procs.configured

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Display a range of values in the output of cat

When I use this command I get an output of some numbers cat ac.20070511 | cut -d" " -f19 Is there any way for me to display only the numbers that are greater than 1000 but not all the numbers in the ouput. Can any one help me with this. :) (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: venu_nbk
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix cat gives no output

hi, i searched the forum, but found no thread relate to this; so sorry if it's duplicated. I'm using unix cat command but it gives no output. I check permission, owner and group; all of which are OK. I could do less and vi. any suggestions? thanks, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: notvwatcher
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat file and parse output

Hello, I'm new to shell scripting and did a search on the forum to what I want to do but couldn't find anything. I have about 9 routers that outputs to 1 syslog file daily named cisco.year.mo.date.log ex: cisco.2009.05.11.log My goal is to make a parsing script that cats today's syslog... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjrambar
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat and output filename

Hi, how I can display a file with cat and printing the filename before each line. e.g. file1 { one two three four five } Output: file1:one file2:two file1:three file1:four file1:five (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Timmää
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error output of cat to /dev/null

Hello, I'm trying to send the error output of a 'cat' operation to /dev/null like this: cat /dirA/dirB/temp*.log > /dirA/dirB/final.log 2>/dev/null This works perfectly in a terminal, but not when placed in a script. If there are no files matching temp*.log the script outputs an error... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nils88
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

combining cat output and cutting rows

I have a file that contain the following. -D HTTPD_ROOT="/usr/local/apache" -D SERVER_CONFIG_FILE="conf/httpd.conf" I want a shell script, so that after cat filename and apply the shell script I should get the output as follows. /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf ie cat filename |... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anilcliff
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cat piped output

Hello, How can I efficiently cat piped output with another file? > (awk command) | cat file1 (piped output) Thanks! (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: palex
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

inconsistent output using date()

I have an input list of: I am just trying to turn this list into its seconds since epoch "+%s" time equivalent. I'm trying to use the following, but every time I run the command it gives me different answers, they are close, but never the same... any clues as to why? xargs -I{} date -j -f... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mdlloyd7
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cat writing only one record in the output file

Hi All, I have an input file containing data as below: Input.DAT XXXXXXX|YYYYYYY|ZZZZZZZZZZ|12334446456|B|YY|111111111|111111111|111111111|111111111|15|3|NNNNNN|Y|3|AAA|111111111... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagar.cumar
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting output from a file similar to cat output

I have a file # cat /root/llll 11 22 33 44 When I cat this file content to a variable inside a shell script and echo that shell script, it does not show up as separate lines. I need echo output similar to cat. cat /root/shell_script.sh #!/bin/bash var=`cat /root/llll` echo $var (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil510
2 Replies
gvfs-cat(1)							   User Commands						       gvfs-cat(1)

NAME
gvfs-cat - print a file to standard output using the VFS system SYNOPSIS
gvfs-cat URI DESCRIPTION
gvfs-cat prints a file to standard output using the virtual file system to access the file via a URI. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: URI Specifies the file location in standard URI format. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Cat a File From a Web Server example% gvfs-cat http://www.sun.com Example 2: Cat a Local File example% gvfs-cat file:///home/user/README.txt ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables: NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The exit value 0 is returned regardless of success or failure. FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gvfs-cat Executable to print a file to standard output using the VFS system ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-gvfs | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |Volatile | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
gvfs-copy(1), gvfs-info(1), gvfs-less(1), gvfs-ls(1), gvfs-mkdir(1) gvfs-monitor-dir(1), gvfs-monitor-file(1), gvfs-mount(1), gvfs-move(1), gvfs-rename(1), gvfs-open(1), gvfs-rm(1), gvfs-save(1), gvfs-trash(1), gvfs-tree(1), attributes(5), environ(5) NOTES
Written by Alvaro Lopez Ortega, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2008. SunOS 5.11 25 Mar 2008 gvfs-cat(1)