Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Backing up using fssnap and ufsdump Post 302473384 by Keepcase on Friday 19th of November 2010 05:25:56 PM
Old 11-19-2010
It worked!

Thanks for all the help! Smilie
All I had to do was install the boot partition

Code:
# /usr/sbin/installboot /usr/platform/`uname -i`/lib/fs/ufs/bootblk /dev/rdsk/c0t3d0s0

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

backing up

Ok I'm trying to backup a HD using ufsdump but no matter what I do it rewinds the tape after the dump. Now the tape isn't full (only 285mb) and I still have 6 more partitions I want to put on this tape. How can I stop the tape from rewinding because I can't think of anything. Also is there any... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: merlin
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Best practises for backing up

Hi, I'm about to start a regular backup schedule for my Linux system. I need some pointers if I may :) The system is *mainly* used as a personal home computer (it's actually a laptop running SuSE 9.2) although I do host some client material from it being a PHP developer. I know that in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: d11wtq
2 Replies

3. Solaris

how can we take fssnap of different filesystems for the same point-in-time?

I managed to work with fssnap for snapshotting filesystems but, my question is..., is there a way we could get snapshots for the same point for multiple FS. Wating on your help..., as i already did my trials what all i can!! -ilan (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ilan
0 Replies

4. Solaris

fssnap ioctl error

For some reason when I try to take a snapshot of the root slice on a particular machine I get an ioctl 22 error. I can't seem to find much on the problem by searching the internet other than some realtime processes such as ntp that use mlock can cause this to happen. I tried running it with truss... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ilikecows
2 Replies

5. Solaris

fssnap error :snapshot error: File system could not be write locked

Hi Guys. This is part of my filesystem structure : Filesystem size used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/md/dsk/d0 47G 5.2G 42G 12% / /devices 0K 0K 0K 0% /devices ctfs 0K 0K 0K 0% ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aggadtech08
2 Replies

6. AIX

what am i backing up

we are running aix on are server. we would like to start doing online backups, but the software company that we use is not beeing much help on what files we are backing up. is there a command that will tell me what files that we are backing up. they offer a service that would back it up for use,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shane.hankins
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Can fssnap be used as a compression tool (Solaris 10)?

Friends, I am learning the working of fssnap command. Suppose there is a directory named /datadir which is of size 500mb. I had taken the snapshot by means of the following command: #fssnap -F ufs -o bs=/snapshotdir /datadir { it shows the o/p as /dev/fssnap/0 } My question is if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saagar
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Confused about fssnap

Hello All, I am confused about the below outputs when I have tried fssnap output using diff path. bash-3.00# /usr/lib/fs/ufs/fssnap -i ============>> o/p 1 Snapshot number : 0 Block Device : /dev/fssnap/0 Raw Device :... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vaibhav.kanchan
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Making a fssnap of / and /var

Hello to everyboyd i have a list of filesystem that i want to do a fssnap the idea is the bakcup / /var /dbo /Free The logic is when i do a fssnap of / or /dbo or /Free the file that generetes the fssnap goes to /var but when i do a fssnap of /var goes to /(and some folder). Can anybody... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: enkei17
0 Replies

10. Solaris

Pls. help with fssnap - Solaris

Hi, I have used Solaris but new to ZFS. I need to backup the root volume using fssnap. zpool list NAME SIZE ALLOC FREE CAP HEALTH ALTROOT pool5 808G 552G 256G 68% ONLINE - rpool 136G 20.9G 115G 15% ONLINE - zfs list NAME USED... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
3 Replies
installboot(1M) 														   installboot(1M)

NAME
installboot - install bootblocks in a disk partition SYNOPSIS
installboot bootblk raw-disk-device The boot(1M) program, ufsboot, is loaded from disk by the bootblock program which resides in the boot area of a disk partition. The ufs boot objects are platform-dependent, and reside in the /usr/platform/platform-name/lib/fs/ufs directory. The platform name can be found using the -i option of uname(1). The installboot utility is a SPARC only program. It is not supported on the architecture. users should use installgrub(1M) instead. bootblk The name of the bootblock code. raw-disk-device The name of the disk device onto which the bootblock code is to be installed; it must be a character device which is read- able and writable. Naming conventions for a SCSI or IPI drive are c?t?d?s? and c?d?s? for an IDE drive. Example 1: Installing UFS Boot Block To install a ufs boot block on slice 0 of target 0 on controller 1 of the platform where the command is being run, use: example# installboot /usr/platform/`uname -i`/lib/fs/ufs/bootblk /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s0 /usr/platform/platform-name/lib/fs/ufs directory where ufs boot objects reside. /platform/platform-name/ufsboot second level program to boot from a disk or CD See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ od(1), uname(1), boot(1M), init(1M), kadb(1M), kernel(1M), monitor(1M), reboot(1M), rpc.bootparamd(1M), init.d(4), attributes(5) WARNINGS
The installboot utility fails if the bootblk or openfirmware files do not exist or if the raw disk device is not a character device. 11 Apr 2005 installboot(1M)