Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Not able to store command inside a shell variable, and run the variable Post 302473182 by radoulov on Friday 19th of November 2010 05:59:42 AM
Old 11-19-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvinayagam
Thanks, So do you mean that pipline command should not be stored and reused ?

[...]
No, I'm just saying that you need to encapsulate the repeating code in another function Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep results to store in a shell variable

I have the results of a grep with -n store in a shell variable ie VAR=`grep -n -e 'PATTERN' file` How ever I am missing the line breaks in the variable , How do I store the resualts of grep with many lines in to a variables. I want the varable should be the sawmway as we do the grep grep... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jojan
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Store command O/P to a variable...

Hi all.. I got a problem.. Its easy to redirect o/p to a file.. But Is it possible to redirect the O/P to a variable? For example: I've a command in my script: string1=cut -d ':' -f2 file.txt When I do: echo $string1 The value is empty... Pls suggest me how to store the value... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: smartbuddy
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to store grep command in a Variable

I have a variable A echo $A 5060 I am exporting the value X,Y,Z and it id fetching right thing and When I run C=`${X} -l ${Y} ${Z} "trap '' INT;. ~/.profile >/dev/null 2>/dev/null; netstat -na | grep \$A`" here it is going to same directory and also running netstat -na | grep 5060 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhusmita
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Store highest filename from ls command to a variable

I am sure it has been answered in some form or the other in this forum but trust me I have spent last couple of hours looking for an answer but can't find it. I want to do a very simple operation within my script. Let's say I have 4 files with the names file1.log, file2.log, file3.log and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sssccc
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using variable to store of find command

Hello Experts I am newbie to unix and writing one script to make archive files Problme i am facing is : I have used find command to find the type of files and I am storing find command results in a variable. When I echo the variable I can see that path is printed properly but when i am... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mitsyjohn
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

To store the file name o/p from find command in to a variable

Hi How to use a variable to store the filename of a file which was found by the 'find' command. can this be practical-->var = find . -name "filename.dat" Please help.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ayyappaas
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

store last command exit status in variable in shell script

Hello All My req is to store the exit status of a command in shell variable I want to check whether the file has header or not The header will contain the string DATA_ACQ_CYC_CNTL_ID So I am running the command head -1 $i | grep DATA_ACQ_CYC_CNTL_ID Now I have to check if... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to store the return value of a command into a variable?

I want to store the return value of grep -c string filename into a variable, say count. How do I do that? For example if grep -c "string" "filename" shows 0 on executing it in the sh shell then I want to store this 0 in a variable. Is it possible? :D (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: navienavnav
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Store command inside variable

Is it possible to store a command inside a variable? i want this piece to be stored inside a variable, so i can use it later in a different command $u | cut -d " " -f 2 var="$u | cut -d " " -f 2" eval $var I tried to use eval but I receive this error: -f 2: command not found ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: velos
5 Replies

10. Programming

Python - store output of command to a variable

I am trying to store output of python command in variable. Could you please help how I can do that ? For example I am executing the following command - "CentOS" in server_desc The output would be True or False I would like to store the output in a variable say outPut and use condition... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: atanubanerji
4 Replies
UTMPX(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual							  UTMPX(5)

NAME
utmpx, wtmpx, lastlogx -- user accounting database SYNOPSIS
#include <utmpx.h> DESCRIPTION
In contrast to utmp and wtmp, the extended databases in utmpx and wtmpx reserve more space for logging hostnames, and also information on a process' ID, termination signal and exit status. The <utmpx.h> header defines the structures and functions for logging user. Currently logged in users are tracked in /var/run/utmpx, a list of all logins and logouts, as well as all shutdowns, reboots and date changes, is kept in /var/log/wtmpx, and the last login of each user is noted in /var/log/lastlogx. The interface to the utmpx file is described in getutxent(3). The wtmpx file can grow rapidly on busy systems, and is normally rotated with newsyslog(8). In the event of a date change, a shutdown, or a reboot, the following items are logged in the wtmpx file: date The system time has been manually or automatically updated by date(1). The command name date is recorded in the field ut_name. In the field ut_line, the character '|' indicates the time prior to the change, and the character '{' indicates the new time. reboot shutdown A system reboot or shutdown has been initiated. The character '~' is placed in the field ut_line, and reboot or shutdown in the field ut_name (see shutdown(8) and reboot(8)), using logwtmpx(3). FILES
/var/run/utmpx The utmpx file. /var/log/wtmpx The wtmpx file. /var/log/lastlogx The lastlogx file. SEE ALSO
last(1), login(1), rwho(1), w(1), who(1), endutxent(3), logwtmpx(3), utmp(5), ac(8), init(8), newsyslog(8), reboot(8) BSD
January 31, 2007 BSD