Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Potential file system contention on directory Post 302469824 by purdym on Monday 8th of November 2010 09:35:59 AM
Old 11-08-2010
Some thoughts that come to mind:

Which filesystem (FS) are the directories in? /var?
Which volume group (VG) is the FS in? vg00?
Where physically is the problem FS? internal disk or on the SAN?

Which disk is faster - internal or the SAN?
What else is going on in the problem FS and VG?
How big are these files? min, max, avg size.

If the problem is in /var on vg00 on internal disk, I would try making a new purpose built filesystem just for holding many thousands (of small, I'm guessing) files. You could try making a new VG and FS on the SAN (if it is faster), to hold this directory. At the very least this would isolate the issue.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Distinction b/w file system and directory

Can you give a very basic definition of file system vs. directory in unix. The context is around monitoring for disk capacity maxing out. Why would /appl/sbe/inst_2/config/logs not be able to be because it is a directory but appl/cce can be monitored because it is a unix file system. They... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kd9626
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how many directory can be mounted on one file system

I have a question and seek help. How many directory can be mounted on one file system on UNIX with solaris 9? For example, I have one file system as /dev/dsk/cieit0a6. I have created one directory as /u01/app/oracle and mounted this directory to cieit06. It works. Then I create another directory as... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Potential new user of Unix

Hi all, Complete and utter virgin Unix person here (I don't even have the OS yet) As I'm doing a "looking into it" kinda thing before I move from MS I hope my questions are not inappropriate. 1. Should I get some kind off anti virus software. I know Unix is pretty good for not getting them... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhula
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to find the percentage of the directory in the file system.

Hi All, I want to find the percentage occupied by the directory in the file system. Say, i have the file system /home/arun/work under this file system i have the directories /home/arun/work/yesterday /home/arun/work/today /home/arun/work/tomorrow The size of the file system is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arunprasad
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to differenciate directory and file system

I need to write a script which will check all the directories in / and find out which is separate filesystem or a directory inside / suppose i have /application -->/dev/hdisk0 is a partitiom /abc --> is a directory /xyz-->is a directory /db-->/dev/hdisk1 is a partition actually my / gets... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchangba
2 Replies

6. AIX

how to handle potential file contention

I need to change how a posting procedure currently works in order to improve load balancing but I am hitting a potential file contention problem that I was wondering if someone here could assist me with... In a directory called FilePool I would have a bunch of files that are constantly coming in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: philplasma
3 Replies

7. Cybersecurity

Attacking Potential of sh-scripts

Hey, I actually do have a question which seems rather easy for those you know more about this topic, since I am pretty new to bashscripting and don't know where it's limits are I have to ask you guys :) Imagine a system where all possible code execution methods (binary executables or... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: disaster
15 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Contention Identifier Script

Hi Experts, Need some help with a script which is definetly beyond my scripting skills. Here is flat file that I have with 4 Key Columns KEYCOLUMN1 KEYCOLUMN2 KEYCOLUMN3 KEYCOLUMN4 123ABC AEG MANCHESTER BIGBOX... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PG3
2 Replies
pstatectl(1M)															     pstatectl(1M)

NAME
pstatectl - control processor performance states SYNOPSIS
cpu] pstate| interval] DESCRIPTION
The command is used to control processor performance states (P-states). On systems with supported processors and firmware, processor per- formance states can reduce power consumption. A supported processor implements a series of performance states, numbered from P0 to Pn, where n is implementation dependent. Each subse- quent P-state consumes less power but offers less performance than the previous state. provides access to both static and dynamic performance state usage modes. In static mode, the system remains in a specified P-state, where power consumption and performance are reduced by a fixed amount. In dynamic mode, HP-UX will adjust the processors' P-states individually, in response to the workload running on the system. Enabling dynamic processor performance states will generally have a negligible effect on system performance, while at the same time reduc- ing power consumption when the system is not fully loaded. Options recognizes the following options: The operation will apply to the specified processor only. If is not specified, the operation applies to the whole system. The "status" operation will report detailed status for each processor. Otherwise, a summary of the system state is reported. Operands recognizes the following operands; only one operand at a time can be specified on the command line: Enable the dynamic P-states mode (processors will adjust performance to match the workload). Disable the P-states (processors will always be at maximum performance). Enable static mode (processors will always be in the specified P-state). If the specified state is higher than is supported, the highest supported state is used instead. The state may be specified as a number, or in P-state notation (for example, P0). Enable dynamic P-states mode within the range of states specified. and should be supplied as specified under the option. Report information about the system's P-state capabilities, the current P-state mode (static or dynamic), and whether HP-UX has control over processor P-states. If was speci- fied, each processor's current P-state and operating mode are displayed. Display a table listing the power consumption and relative performance of each P-state. Print the number of the highest implemented P-state on the system. If the system does not support P-states, the number is 0. Change the time interval between dynamic mode state changes to the specified duration. The minimum is 0.01 seconds, and the maximum is 600 seconds. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
On some systems, the Onboard Administrator may take control of P-states away from the operating system (for instance, when iLO is used to place the system in Static High Performance or Static Low Power mode). If HP-UX does not have control over processor performance states, the command will still work normally. However, any changes made to P-state modes will have no effect until HP-UX regains control. The command will report whether HP-UX currently has control over P-states. RETURN VALUE
returns the following values: Successful completion. Command failed. DIAGNOSTICS
Make sure that the system has Itanium(R) 2 9100 series or later processors, and that the installed system firmware supports P- states. EXAMPLES
To enable dynamic P-states on the system: To disable dynamic P-states on the system (all processors will be in maximum performance mode): or To restrict the system to P0 and P1 only: DEPENDENCIES
Processor performance states require Itanium(R) 2 9100 series processors or later models. Some systems require a firmware update to use processor performance states. AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
(Itanium(R)-based Systems Only) pstatectl(1M)