Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Potential file system contention on directory Post 302469824 by purdym on Monday 8th of November 2010 09:35:59 AM
Old 11-08-2010
Some thoughts that come to mind:

Which filesystem (FS) are the directories in? /var?
Which volume group (VG) is the FS in? vg00?
Where physically is the problem FS? internal disk or on the SAN?

Which disk is faster - internal or the SAN?
What else is going on in the problem FS and VG?
How big are these files? min, max, avg size.

If the problem is in /var on vg00 on internal disk, I would try making a new purpose built filesystem just for holding many thousands (of small, I'm guessing) files. You could try making a new VG and FS on the SAN (if it is faster), to hold this directory. At the very least this would isolate the issue.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Distinction b/w file system and directory

Can you give a very basic definition of file system vs. directory in unix. The context is around monitoring for disk capacity maxing out. Why would /appl/sbe/inst_2/config/logs not be able to be because it is a directory but appl/cce can be monitored because it is a unix file system. They... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kd9626
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how many directory can be mounted on one file system

I have a question and seek help. How many directory can be mounted on one file system on UNIX with solaris 9? For example, I have one file system as /dev/dsk/cieit0a6. I have created one directory as /u01/app/oracle and mounted this directory to cieit06. It works. Then I create another directory as... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Potential new user of Unix

Hi all, Complete and utter virgin Unix person here (I don't even have the OS yet) As I'm doing a "looking into it" kinda thing before I move from MS I hope my questions are not inappropriate. 1. Should I get some kind off anti virus software. I know Unix is pretty good for not getting them... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhula
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to find the percentage of the directory in the file system.

Hi All, I want to find the percentage occupied by the directory in the file system. Say, i have the file system /home/arun/work under this file system i have the directories /home/arun/work/yesterday /home/arun/work/today /home/arun/work/tomorrow The size of the file system is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arunprasad
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to differenciate directory and file system

I need to write a script which will check all the directories in / and find out which is separate filesystem or a directory inside / suppose i have /application -->/dev/hdisk0 is a partitiom /abc --> is a directory /xyz-->is a directory /db-->/dev/hdisk1 is a partition actually my / gets... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchangba
2 Replies

6. AIX

how to handle potential file contention

I need to change how a posting procedure currently works in order to improve load balancing but I am hitting a potential file contention problem that I was wondering if someone here could assist me with... In a directory called FilePool I would have a bunch of files that are constantly coming in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: philplasma
3 Replies

7. Cybersecurity

Attacking Potential of sh-scripts

Hey, I actually do have a question which seems rather easy for those you know more about this topic, since I am pretty new to bashscripting and don't know where it's limits are I have to ask you guys :) Imagine a system where all possible code execution methods (binary executables or... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: disaster
15 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Contention Identifier Script

Hi Experts, Need some help with a script which is definetly beyond my scripting skills. Here is flat file that I have with 4 Key Columns KEYCOLUMN1 KEYCOLUMN2 KEYCOLUMN3 KEYCOLUMN4 123ABC AEG MANCHESTER BIGBOX... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PG3
2 Replies
cpu_family(3alleg4)						  Allegro manual					       cpu_family(3alleg4)

NAME
cpu_family - Contains the CPU type. Allegro game programming library. SYNOPSIS
#include <allegro.h> extern int cpu_family; DESCRIPTION
Contains the Intel type, where applicable. Allegro defines the following CPU family types: CPU_FAMILY_UNKNOWN - The type of processor is unknown CPU_FAMILY_I386 - The processor is an Intel-compatible 386 CPU_FAMILY_I486 - The processor is an Intel-compatible 486 CPU_FAMILY_I586 - The processor is a Pentium or equivalent CPU_FAMILY_I686 - The processor is a Pentium Pro, II, III or equivalent CPU_FAMILY_ITANIUM - The processor is an Itanium processor CPU_FAMILY_POWERPC - The processor is a PowerPC processor CPU_FAMILY_EXTENDED - The processor type needs to be read from the cpu_model You can read this variable after you have called check_cpu() (which is automatically called by allegro_init()). SEE ALSO
check_cpu(3alleg4), cpu_vendor(3alleg4), cpu_model(3alleg4), cpu_capabilities(3alleg4), allegro_init(3alleg4) Allegro version 4.4.2 cpu_family(3alleg4)