Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to filter a whole line using a word? Post 302466694 by kanakaraju on Wednesday 27th of October 2010 05:31:37 AM
Old 10-27-2010
when i use this
grep -i create trigger trig1.sql | awk '{print "DROP TRIGGER\t" $4 ";"}'

its giving out put as

;ROP TRIGGER X.Y

how come??

even i tried this
grep -i create trigger trig1.sql | awk '{print "DROP TRIGGER\t" $4 " ;"}'

another kind of out put
;OP TRIGGER x.y

kanakaraju

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can a shell script pull the first word (or nth word) off each line of a text file?

Greetings. I am struggling with a shell script to make my life simpler, with a number of practical ways in which it could be used. I want to take a standard text file, and pull the 'n'th word from each line such as the first word from a text file. I'm struggling to see how each line can be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricky
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to move word by word on command line

Hey All, On commad promt of a shell.. How can we move our cursor word by word. Like Ctrl+A takes to the starting of the command... Any shortcut like that..? Thanks pbsrinivas (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pbsrinivas
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read line by line not word by word

i have this line my,name,is,john stored in a file d.sh and i wish to print the line as string..but im getting word by word...have tried this......... for in $(cat $d.sh); do echo $i done but this is giving me my name is john (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vadharah
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to filter the words, if that word contains the expected letter

Hi, I am trying to filter the words from a file which contain 'abc'. But I am unable to. Could any one help me. For eg: The file contents are 123ab 12hnj1 123abc456 123cgbcahjkf23 23134abchfhj43 gc32abc abc1 2abc3 sd uiguif fhwe 21242 uh123 jkcas124d123 u3hdbh23u ffsd8 Output... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: venu_eie
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding a word in front of a word of each line.

Adding a word in front of a word of each line.In that line only one word will be there. pl help:( (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ramesh Vellanki
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

regular expression for replacing the fist word with a last word in line

I have a File with the below contents File1 I have no prior experience in unix. I have just started to work in unix. My experience in unix is 0. My Total It exp is 3 yrs. I need to replace the first word in each line with the last word for example unix have no prior experience in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kri_swami
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print word 1 in line 1 and word 2 in line 2 if it matches a pattern

i have a file in this pattern MATCH1 word1 IMAGE word3 word4 MATCH2 word1 word2 word3 word4 MATCH2 word1 word2 word3 word4 MATCH2 word1 word2 word3 word4 MATCH2 word1 word2 word3 word4 MATCH1 word1 IMAGE word3 word4 MATCH2 word1 word2 word3 word4 MATCH2 word1 word2 word3 word4 MATCH2 word1... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bangaram
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read a File line by line and split into array word by word

Hi All, Hope you guys had a wonderful weekend I have a scenario where in which I have to read a file line by line and check for few words before redirecting to a file I have searched the forum but,either those answers dint work (perhaps because of my wrong under standing of how IFS... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kingcobra
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find word in a line and output in which line the word occurs / no. of times it occurred

I have a file: file.txt, which contains the following data in it. This is a file, my name is Karl, what is this process, karl is karl junior, file is a test file, file's name is file.txt My name is not Karl, my name is Karl Joey What is your name? Do you know your name and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragpgtgerman
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filter line in a script

Hi Team, I am trying hard to find a way I can filter a line as below: If I have a line as /abc /def 123:/ghi /jkl 456:/mno /pqrs 7890:/tuvw /xyz I am expecting my output to be as below: /abc /def /jkl /pqrs /xyz basically I want to ignore anything preceding or succeeding colon... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SiddhVi
2 Replies
CREATE 
TRIGGER(7) SQL Commands CREATE TRIGGER(7) NAME
CREATE TRIGGER - define a new trigger SYNOPSIS
CREATE TRIGGER name { BEFORE | AFTER } { event [ OR ... ] } ON table [ FOR [ EACH ] { ROW | STATEMENT } ] EXECUTE PROCEDURE funcname ( arguments ) DESCRIPTION
CREATE TRIGGER creates a new trigger. The trigger will be associated with the specified table and will execute the specified function func- name when certain events occur. The trigger can be specified to fire either before the operation is attempted on a row (before constraints are checked and the INSERT, UPDATE, or DELETE is attempted) or after the operation has completed (after constraints are checked and the INSERT, UPDATE, or DELETE has completed). If the trigger fires before the event, the trigger can skip the operation for the current row, or change the row being inserted (for INSERT and UPDATE operations only). If the trigger fires after the event, all changes, including the last insertion, update, or dele- tion, are ``visible'' to the trigger. A trigger that is marked FOR EACH ROW is called once for every row that the operation modifies. For example, a DELETE that affects 10 rows will cause any ON DELETE triggers on the target relation to be called 10 separate times, once for each deleted row. In contrast, a trigger that is marked FOR EACH STATEMENT only executes once for any given operation, regardless of how many rows it modifies (in particular, an operation that modifies zero rows will still result in the execution of any applicable FOR EACH STATEMENT triggers). In addition, triggers may be defined to fire for a TRUNCATE, though only FOR EACH STATEMENT. If multiple triggers of the same kind are defined for the same event, they will be fired in alphabetical order by name. SELECT does not modify any rows so you cannot create SELECT triggers. Rules and views are more appropriate in such cases. Refer to in the documentation for more information about triggers. PARAMETERS
name The name to give the new trigger. This must be distinct from the name of any other trigger for the same table. BEFORE AFTER Determines whether the function is called before or after the event. event One of INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, or TRUNCATE; this specifies the event that will fire the trigger. Multiple events can be specified using OR. table The name (optionally schema-qualified) of the table the trigger is for. FOR EACH ROW FOR EACH STATEMENT This specifies whether the trigger procedure should be fired once for every row affected by the trigger event, or just once per SQL statement. If neither is specified, FOR EACH STATEMENT is the default. funcname A user-supplied function that is declared as taking no arguments and returning type trigger, which is executed when the trigger fires. arguments An optional comma-separated list of arguments to be provided to the function when the trigger is executed. The arguments are literal string constants. Simple names and numeric constants can be written here, too, but they will all be converted to strings. Please check the description of the implementation language of the trigger function about how the trigger arguments are accessible within the function; it might be different from normal function arguments. NOTES
To create a trigger on a table, the user must have the TRIGGER privilege on the table. Use DROP TRIGGER [drop_trigger(7)] to remove a trigger. In PostgreSQL versions before 7.3, it was necessary to declare trigger functions as returning the placeholder type opaque, rather than trigger. To support loading of old dump files, CREATE TRIGGER will accept a function declared as returning opaque, but it will issue a notice and change the function's declared return type to trigger. EXAMPLES
in the documentation contains a complete example. COMPATIBILITY
The CREATE TRIGGER statement in PostgreSQL implements a subset of the SQL standard. The following functionality is currently missing: o SQL allows triggers to fire on updates to specific columns (e.g., AFTER UPDATE OF col1, col2). o SQL allows you to define aliases for the ``old'' and ``new'' rows or tables for use in the definition of the triggered action (e.g., CRE- ATE TRIGGER ... ON tablename REFERENCING OLD ROW AS somename NEW ROW AS othername ...). Since PostgreSQL allows trigger procedures to be written in any number of user-defined languages, access to the data is handled in a language-specific way. o PostgreSQL only allows the execution of a user-defined function for the triggered action. The standard allows the execution of a number of other SQL commands, such as CREATE TABLE as the triggered action. This limitation is not hard to work around by creating a user- defined function that executes the desired commands. SQL specifies that multiple triggers should be fired in time-of-creation order. PostgreSQL uses name order, which was judged to be more convenient. SQL specifies that BEFORE DELETE triggers on cascaded deletes fire after the cascaded DELETE completes. The PostgreSQL behavior is for BEFORE DELETE to always fire before the delete action, even a cascading one. This is considered more consistent. There is also unpre- dictable behavior when BEFORE triggers modify rows that are later to be modified by referential actions. This can lead to constraint viola- tions or stored data that does not honor the referential constraint. The ability to specify multiple actions for a single trigger using OR is a PostgreSQL extension of the SQL standard. The ability to fire triggers for TRUNCATE is a PostgreSQL extension of the SQL standard. SEE ALSO
CREATE FUNCTION [create_function(7)], ALTER TRIGGER [alter_trigger(7)], DROP TRIGGER [drop_trigger(7)] SQL - Language Statements 2010-05-14 CREATE TRIGGER(7)