Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [Bash]Attempting to Merge text from one file into another file at the line directly under a word Post 302423865 by Reboot on Sunday 23rd of May 2010 01:27:57 AM
Old 05-23-2010
You can do something like :

Code:
# >report.txt cat <<!
   List of successful transfers:

`cat first_file`

List of unsuccessful transfers:

`cat second_file`

!

This User Gave Thanks to Reboot For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can a shell script pull the first word (or nth word) off each line of a text file?

Greetings. I am struggling with a shell script to make my life simpler, with a number of practical ways in which it could be used. I want to take a standard text file, and pull the 'n'th word from each line such as the first word from a text file. I'm struggling to see how each line can be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricky
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to merge multiline into line begining with specific word

Hi, The file format is like the following. timestamp=2008-02-28-23.50.29.550675;category=CONTEXT;audit event=CONNECT; event correlator=2; database=CURDOMS;userid=inst3;authid=INST3; origin node=0;coordinator node=0; application id=AC122081.FA97.054468155029;application... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: missyou
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH: Grepping/sedding/etc out part of a file... (from one word to 'blank' line)

I have a file that lists data about a system. It has a part that can look like: the errors I'm looking for with other errors: Alerts Password Incorrect Login Error Another Error Another Error 2 Other Info or, just the errors I need to parse for: Alerts Password Incorrect ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: elinenbe
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help need to cut the first word of a line in text file

Hi All, I would like help with a script which can get rid of the first work of all lines in text file. File 1 The name is Scott. Output : name is Scott ---------- Post updated at 02:38 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:37 PM ---------- Hi ALL There is typo error in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bubbly
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find and print the last word of each line from a text file

Can any one help us in finding the the last word of each line from a text file and print it. eg: 1st --> aaa bbbb cccc dddd eeee ffff ee 2nd --> aab ered er fdf ere ww ww f the o/p should be a below. ee f (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naveen_sangam
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

get the fifth line of a text file into a shell script and trim the line to extract a WORD

FOLKS , i have a text file that is generated automatically of an another korn shell script, i want to bring in the fifth line of the text file in to my korn shell script and look for a particular word in the line . Can you all share some thoughts on this one. thanks... Venu (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: venu
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep to isolate a text file line and Awk to select a word?

I am looking at using grep to locate the line in the text file and them use awk to select a word or words out of it. I know awk needs -v to allow a variable to be used, but also needs -F to allow the break up of the sentence and allow the location of separate variables. $line = grep "1:" File |... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ironguru
8 Replies

8. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Merge Last Word to Another File

Hi, Im a newbie to scripting. I have a file that looks like the one below. How can i change the last "/" to become a space. Thank You so Much for the help. :) hostname date Feb-9 /u100/DEVCO/Patching/a.log hostname date Jun-25 /u100/DEVCO/DumpCleaner/a.log hostname date Jun-25... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lienyca
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read a File line by line and split into array word by word

Hi All, Hope you guys had a wonderful weekend I have a scenario where in which I have to read a file line by line and check for few words before redirecting to a file I have searched the forum but,either those answers dint work (perhaps because of my wrong under standing of how IFS... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kingcobra
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

"Content-type: text/html No input file specified." Only in CRON but not when executed directly

Hi gang, I have the following code inside a the file script.sh #!/bin/bash todaysdate=$(date --date='7 day' +'%d') todaysmonth=$(date +'%m') todaysyear=$(date +'%Y') yahoodatestring=$todaysyear$todaysmonth$todaysdate nicedate=$(date --date='5 day' +'%A') nice="$nicedate,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: phpchick
2 Replies
gvfs-cat(1)							   User Commands						       gvfs-cat(1)

NAME
gvfs-cat - print a file to standard output using the VFS system SYNOPSIS
gvfs-cat URI DESCRIPTION
gvfs-cat prints a file to standard output using the virtual file system to access the file via a URI. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: URI Specifies the file location in standard URI format. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Cat a File From a Web Server example% gvfs-cat http://www.sun.com Example 2: Cat a Local File example% gvfs-cat file:///home/user/README.txt ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables: NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The exit value 0 is returned regardless of success or failure. FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gvfs-cat Executable to print a file to standard output using the VFS system ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-gvfs | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |Volatile | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
gvfs-copy(1), gvfs-info(1), gvfs-less(1), gvfs-ls(1), gvfs-mkdir(1) gvfs-monitor-dir(1), gvfs-monitor-file(1), gvfs-mount(1), gvfs-move(1), gvfs-rename(1), gvfs-open(1), gvfs-rm(1), gvfs-save(1), gvfs-trash(1), gvfs-tree(1), attributes(5), environ(5) NOTES
Written by Alvaro Lopez Ortega, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2008. SunOS 5.11 25 Mar 2008 gvfs-cat(1)