Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting chomp like Perl operator in Bash Post 302419360 by paragkalra on Friday 7th of May 2010 02:27:15 AM
Old 05-07-2010
It worked Smilie

I was anticipating some function. Not sure what this line is doing:

Quote:
str1="${str1%\\n}"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

chomp and chop in perl

What is the differnece between chomp and chop in perl? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: seismic_willy
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help in modulus operator in Bash

Hi, I would like to know given that i have two columns and I would like to take the positive integer of the differences between the two columns. which means |3-2|=1; |2-3|=1 as well. I would like to know do Bash recognize | | as well for this purposes? Thanks. -Jason (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahjiefreak
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

scalar variable assignment in perl + { operator

When reading over some perl code in a software document, I came across an assignment statement like this $PATH = ${PROJECT}/......./.... In this particular form of scalar variable assignment, what does the curly braces operators do ? Also, what is the benefit in doing scalar assignment this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesGoh
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Diamond operator in Until Statement (perl)

Hello: I have the following perl script which is giving me trouble inside the second elsif statement. The purpose of the script is to go through a file and print out only those lines which contain pertinent information. The tricky part came when I realized that certain items actually spanned... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: erichpowell
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

FIle (directory) test operator (bash)

I'm almost pulling out my hair trying to figure out what's wrong with this... there's no reason I can see that it shouldn't be working. It seems that the code acts as though the conditional statement is true no matter what - I've even tried removing the negation operator, but it always goes into... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wildbluefaerie
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Diamond Operator

I know that when using 'while (<FILE>) {}', Perl reads only one line of the file at one time, and store it in '$_'. Can I change some parameters so that 'while (<>) {}' can read more than one lines, like 2 or 5 lines at one time? Thanks for the help! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zx1106
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script error with binary operator expected.

Hello, I am not sure, where I am missing in the scirpt, I am trying to grep few users from /etc/passwd file and if exists, I added line to echo as user exist, if not create it. #!/bin/bash for vid in v707 z307 z496 z163 z292 ; do if then echo " $vid User exists " else ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby320
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Equivalent to Perl's and Bash's "=~" Operator?

Hello All, Alright, so this is driving me absolutely insane. I can't seem to find this ANYWHERE... I've tried every combination and synonym I can think of for this trying to search Google. What is the Expect/Tcl equivalent to Perl and Bash's "=~" operator, (i.e. the "contains" operator).... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Operator test in bash

Hello, can you please help me because I am totally confused with a simple script: #!/bin/bash ] || ] && echo "Good Morning" ] || ] && echo "Good Night" For me, these two strings are indentical: false || false and there is no point to execute echo command. But the run result is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: AndreiM
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash variable assignment failure/unary operator expected

I have a little code block (executing on AIX 7.1) that I cannot understand why the NOTFREE=0 does not appear to be assigned even though it goes through that block. This causes a unary operator issue. #!/bin/bash PLATFORM="AIX" NEEDSPC=3000 set -x if ; then lsvg | grep -v rootvg | while... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: port43
6 Replies
STRNATCASECMP(3)							 1							  STRNATCASECMP(3)

strnatcasecmp - Case insensitive string comparisons using a ";natural order" algorithm

SYNOPSIS
int strnatcasecmp (string $str1, string $str2) DESCRIPTION
This function implements a comparison algorithm that orders alphanumeric strings in the way a human being would. The behaviour of this function is similar to strnatcmp(3), except that the comparison is not case sensitive. For more information see: Martin Pool's Natural Order String Comparison page. PARAMETERS
o $str1 - The first string. o $str2 - The second string. RETURN VALUES
Similar to other string comparison functions, this one returns < 0 if $str1 is less than $str2 > 0 if $str1 is greater than $str2, and 0 if they are equal. SEE ALSO
preg_match(3), strcmp(3), strcasecmp(3), substr(3), stristr(3), strncasecmp(3), strncmp(3), strstr(3), setlocale(3). PHP Documentation Group STRNATCASECMP(3)