Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script to parse filenames in a directory and do some actions Post 302400380 by Franklin52 on Wednesday 3rd of March 2010 05:05:08 AM
Old 03-03-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by troman
Since some subdirectories can already be in the directory...
No problem if you use the -p option of mkdir, from the man page:

Quote:
-p, --parents
no error if existing, make parent directories as needed

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Script to perform some actions on multiple files

I have this Korn script that I wrote (with some help) that is run by cron. I basically watches a file system for a specific filename to be uploaded (via FTP), checks to make sure that the file is no longer being uploaded (by checking the files size), then runs a series of other scripts. The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: heprox
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

looping thru filenames in a directory

Hi, i am very new to UNIX, i am trying to loop thru the files in a directory. I got the filenames into a variable using $files=`ls` Here $files will contain <filename1> <filename2> <filename3> I want to get one filename at a time and append it to some some text. forexample, ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: silas.john
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

concatenating the filenames in a directory

hi all, I have a requirement where in i have to read all the filenames based on a pattern from a directory and concatenate all these file names and write it to another file. i am using the following code to do this var1='' for filename in $_DIR/${FILE_NAME}* do if if then... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nvuradi
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change all filenames in a directory

I have a directory of files and each file has a random 5 digit string at the beginning that needs to be removed. Plus, there are some files that will be identically named after the 5 digit string is removed and I want those eliminated or moved. any ideas? (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: crumb
17 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

parse apl-numeric codes from filenames, and match them to entries in database

Hello, I am new to Unix scripting, and would like some help with my issue: I have vairous files having some alphanumeric codes in them e.g. 10000-01 34440TE 34590SR All these codes are stored in the database, and I need to parse these codes out of these filenames, and match them... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mvaidya
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use filenames to create directory.

I have many files similar to this one: AC41_AC85_86_AC128_129_MC171_173_SF_207_FMV.pdf. I want a directory named AC41 and to put the file AC41_AC85_86_AC128_129_MC171_173_SF_207_FMV.pdf into the directory. Next, a directory named AC85 and put the file into it. Also, continue to cycle through... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ndnkyd
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Filenames change in a directory

Hi I have abc_ahb_one.v abc_ahb_two.v abc_ahb_three.v ........l like this -----upto abc_ahb_ninety.v in some directory. I need to change those file names to like below. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: praneethk
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[awk] print all filenames in directory

Hello, I was given a (I suppose) a simple task which I don't know how to do. Before coming here I have read a dozen of awk tutorials (full read, not just line-skipping) but I still don't know how to do this. Task: Write an script file 'check.awk' with a parameter current directory that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: c0dehunter
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to compare substrings of multiple filenames and move to different directory

Hi there, I am having trouble with a script I have written, which is designed to search through a directory for a header and payload file, retrieve a string from both filenames, compare this string and if it matches make a backup of the two files then move them to a different directory for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alcurry
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing filenames in my current directory

Can someone give me a tip on writing a script that, for each file in the working directory, prints the filename, the # of lines, and the # of words to stdout? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: flash123
2 Replies
ppmtopgm(1)						      General Commands Manual						       ppmtopgm(1)

NAME
ppmtopgm - convert a portable pixmap into a portable graymap SYNOPSIS
ppmtopgm [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces a portable graymap as output. The output is a "black and white" rendering of the original image, as in a black and white photograph. The quantization formula used is .299 r + .587 g + .114 b. Note that although there is a pgmtoppm program, it is not necessary for simple conversions from pgm to ppm , because any ppm program can read pgm (and pbm ) files automatically. pgmtoppm is for colorizing a pgm file. Also, see ppmtorgb3 for a different way of converting color to gray. And ppmdist generates a grayscale image from a color image, but in a way that makes it easy to differentiate the original colors, not necessarily a way that looks like a black and white photograph. QUOTE
Cold-hearted orb that rules the night Removes the colors from our sight Red is gray, and yellow white But we decide which is right And which is a quantization error. SEE ALSO
pgmtoppm(1),ppmtorgb3(1),rgb3toppm(1),ppmdist(1),ppm(5),pgm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1989 by Jef Poskanzer. 10 April 2000 ppmtopgm(1)