Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Disk or CDROM problem?
Operating Systems Solaris Disk or CDROM problem? Post 302399719 by asalman.qazi on Monday 1st of March 2010 10:09:11 AM
Old 03-01-2010
thanks for the reply incredible:

My question is:

1) if the cd/dvdrom drive is not being used can it generate such errors.

2) how is cd/dvd rom diffrentiated from normal hard drive in /dev file

in the above logs dvdrom is being shown as c0t0d0

now in unix same notation is being used for harddrives .
so how do we diffrentiate them.

3) if the cd/dvdrom is not being used by the system so will it do if we do not replace it and let it generate the errors in /var/adm/messages and truncate it periodically.

Thanks

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cdrom Problem!!!

Hi everybody: I have Solaris 8 installed on my little Enterprise 3500 and, for a cruel fate of the destiny, Im the admin.... Here is the problem: a week ago I took out a CD from the CDROM drive in an abnormal way. I inserted a clip in the little hole in the front of the drive because the button... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: piltrafa
8 Replies

2. Solaris

Ultra 2 CDROM Problem

I have a Ultra 2 running solaris9, I'm trying to do a boot cdrom to install Solaris 10. During the boot, the system can't find the CDROM drive. It shows up during a probe-scsi-all. Also, when booted to Solaris 9 I place a CD in the drive it takes almost 10 minutes before the CD is readable on the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: stocksj
6 Replies

3. AIX

problem on sharing cdrom drive in AIX with linux

HI i have setuped a nfs between a AIX system and a linux os ,keeping AIX as sever i need to share the CDrom in AIX server with the linux operating system. ie. linux os machine does't have a cdrom . will i be able be share ..i tried a lot but it gives a message which resembles NFS access... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raguraja
3 Replies
WREN(3) 						     Library Functions Manual							   WREN(3)

NAME
wren, ata - hard disk interface SYNOPSIS
bind #H[drive] /dev bind #w[target[.lun]] /dev /dev/hd0disk /dev/hd0partition /dev/sd0disk /dev/sd0partition ... DESCRIPTION
The hard disk interfaces (wren, #w, is a SCSI disk; ata, #H, is an IDE or ATA disk) serve a one-level directory giving access to the hard disk partitions. The parameter to attach defines the numerical SCSI target and logical unit number or the IDE drive number to access. Both default to zero. Each partition name is prefixed by hd and the numeric drive identifier. The partition always exists and covers the entire disk. The size of each partition as reported by stat(2) is the number of bytes in the partition, so the size of is the size of the entire disk. The partition also always exists; it is the last block on the disk for SCSI, second to last for IDE. If it contains valid partition data, those partitions will be visible as well. Every time the device is bound, the partitions are updated to reflect any changes in the parti- tion file. The format of the partition file is the string plan9 partitions on a line, followed by partition specifications, one per line, consisting of a name and textual strings for the block start and limit for each partition on the disk. The program prep(8) writes the partition table for the disk; its use is preferred to writing it by hand. SEE ALSO
prep(8), scsi(3) SOURCE
/sys/src/9/port/devwren.c /sys/src/9/pc/devata.c WREN(3)