Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Shell Script to replace text
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell Script to replace text Post 302396960 by EAGL€ on Saturday 20th of February 2010 01:27:31 AM
Old 02-20-2010
is this what you looking for?

Code:
for file in $(find . -type f -name "*.txt" -print)
do
		cp $file $file.bak
		sed 's/pattern1/pattern2/g' $file > $file.tmp
		mv $file.tmp $file
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

replace a value with another in shell script

hai everybody, i am new to scripting,i have to replace a value with another value ina script...both the values i have got in two seperate variables...can anyone give me the syntax how to do this in a shell script... ie. e1=$5,e2=$6 v2=$1,v3=$7 now i want to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Babu
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

script - replace text in file

I have a file something like this (except much larger amount of rows/data) 0001 blue testing1 0002 blue testing2 0006 blue testing3 0232 red testing4 2143 blue testing5 3453 blue testing6 In a script I want to replace the word red with blue where the line begins with a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using shell to replace characters in a text file

Can I just say, this is such a frustrating and yet enormously rewarding field of study. I'm in the middle of configuring GeekTool (Uh oh, stupid n00b) and I really only have one question. I'm using Automator to grab a RSS feed, having GeekTool continually run that application every 10 minutes,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: SomeTechGuy
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

gawk script to search and replace text in a flat file

Hi I am new to unix and newbie to this forum. I need help in writing a gawk script that search and replace particular text in a flat file. Input file text : ZIDE_CONTROL000 100000000003869920900000300000001ISYNC 000002225489 0000000002232122 20120321 16:40:53 ZIDE_RECORD000... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gkausmel
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl script to replace the text in the original file

Hi Folks, I have an html file which contains the below line in the body tagI am trying the replace hello with Hello Giridhar programatically. <body> <P><STRONG><FONT face="comic sans ms,cursive,sans-serif"><EM>Hello</EM></FONT></STRONG></P> </body> I have written the below code to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: giridhar276
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace word with multiline text using shell scripting.

Hi all I have data files which contain data as shown below: Line 5: FIDE INST_DESC: DIAM Co Ltd/Japan => MAID Co Ltd/Japan INST_NME: DIAM Co Ltd/Japan => MAID Co Ltd/Japan Line 6: FIDE INST_DESC: DIAM DL/Pimco US Bond Open Born in the USA => MAID DL/Pimco US Bond Open Born in the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ganesh_more
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell or perl script to replace XML text in bulk

Hi, I am looking for assistance over shell or perl (without XML twig module) which replace string in XML file under particular branch..example of code file sample.. Exact requirment : Replace "Su saldo es" in below file with "Your balance" but only in XML branch of Text id=98 and Text Id=12... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashu_099
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash shell: Replace a text block by another

Hello, I'm an starter in Bash scripting. I would like to write a script in Bash shell that replaces a specific text block (a function) by another text block in a file: for example in my file --> $HOME/myFile.js replacing following function between other functions in the file: function ABC()... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: om1559
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell script to read lines in a text file and filter user data Shell Programming and Scripting

sxsaaas (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: VikrantD
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to replace stings in multiple text files

Good Evening Folks - Happy Friday! I have a need to replace a certain string in all .csv files from "0.00" to "#Missing" in my /app/hyp_app/files directory. Does anyone have a script they use regularly that's rather quick in performance? My files are rather large so I'm looking for a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SIMMS7400
5 Replies
ATF-SH(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 ATF-SH(1)

NAME
atf-sh [-s shell] -- interpreter for shell-based test programs SYNOPSIS
atf-sh script DESCRIPTION
atf-sh is an interpreter that runs the test program given in script after loading the atf-sh(3) library. atf-sh is not a real interpreter though: it is just a wrapper around the system-wide shell defined by ATF_SHELL. atf-sh executes the inter- preter, loads the atf-sh(3) library and then runs the script. You must consider atf-sh to be a POSIX shell by default and thus should not use any non-standard extensions. The following options are available: -s shell Specifies the shell to use instead of the value provided by ATF_SHELL. ENVIRONMENT
ATF_LIBEXECDIR Overrides the builtin directory where atf-sh is located. Should not be overridden other than for testing purposes. ATF_PKGDATADIR Overrides the builtin directory where libatf-sh.subr is located. Should not be overridden other than for testing purposes. ATF_SHELL Path to the system shell to be used in the generated scripts. Scripts must not rely on this variable being set to select a specific interpreter. EXAMPLES
Scripts using atf-sh(3) should start with: #! /usr/bin/env atf-sh Alternatively, if you want to explicitly choose a shell interpreter, you cannot rely on env(1) to find atf-sh. Instead, you have to hardcode the path to atf-sh in the script and then use the -s option afterwards as a single parameter: #! /path/to/bin/atf-sh -s/bin/bash ENVIRONMENT
ATF_SHELL Path to the system shell to be used in the generated scripts. SEE ALSO
atf-sh(3) BSD
September 27, 2014 BSD