Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Trying to Parse Version Information from Text File Post 302390667 by obfunkhouser on Thursday 28th of January 2010 02:01:27 PM
Old 01-28-2010
That's progress, but egrep returns "major.version=14" ... I only want the 14.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Parse Text file and send mails

Please help. I have a text file which looks something like this aaa@abc.com, c:FilePath\Eaaa.txt bbb@abc.com, c:FilePath\Ebbb.txt ccc@abc.com, c:FilePath\Eccc.txt ddd@abc.com, c:FilePath\Eddd.txt...so on I want to write a shell script which will pick up the first field 'aaa@abc.com' and... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amruta Pitkar
12 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

parse text file

i am attempting to parse a simple text file with multiple lines and four fields in each line, formatted as such: 12/10/2006 12:34:06 77 38 this is what i'm having problems with in my bash script: sed '1,6d' $RAWDATA > $NEWFILE #removes first 6 lines from file, which are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: klick81
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

parse text file

I have a file that has a header followed by 8 columns of data. I want to toss out the header, and then write the data to another file with a different header and footer. I also need to grab the first values of the first and second column to put in the header. How do I chop off the header? ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: craggm
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

parse through one text file and output many

Hi, everyone The input file pattern is like below: Begin Object1 txt1 end ; Begin Object2 txt2 end ; ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: sophiadun
14 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to parse a file for text b/n double quotes?

Hi guys, I desperately need some help here... I need to parse a file similar to this: I need to read the values for MY_BANNER_SSHD and WARNING_MESSAGE. The value could be empty/single line or multi-line! # Comments . . . Some lines MY_BANNER_SSHD=""... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shreeda
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse and Join in a text file

I wanted to parse a text file and join in specific format. please suggest me how to get this done.. The output should be in fasta format which consists of lines starting with ID, PT, PA and Sequence. "//" the two slashes are dividing lines between two different sequences. Like... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: empyrean
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Inserting information from old text file into a new text file

Hello, I'm trying to take information from a list of hundreds of subject ids (where each line is a new subject id), and insert each line into a new text file that contains the pathnames for each subject. To clarify, all subject have a similiar path name (e.g., C:\data\SUBJECT_ID\) that contains... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: invisibledwarf
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse text file using specific tags

awk -F "" '/<href=>|<href=>|<top>|<top>/ {print $3, OFS=\t}' source.txt > output.txt I'm not quite sure how to parse the attached file, but what I am trying to do is in a output file have the link (href=), name (after the <), and count (<top>) in 3 separate columns. My attempt is the above... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script to parse case with information in two fields of file

The below awk parser works for most data inputs, but I am having trouble with the last one. The problem is in the below rules steps 1 and 2 come from $2 (NC_000013.10:g.20763686_20763687delinsA) and steps 3 and 4 come from $1 (NM_004004.5:c.34_35delGGinsT). Parse Rules: The header is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Script to parse and compare information in two fields of file

Hello, I am working parsing a large input file1(field CFA) I have to compare the the file1 field(CFA byte 88-96) with the content of the file2(It contains only one field) and and insert rows equal in another file. Here is my code and sample input file: ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: GERMANOS
7 Replies
egrep(1)							   User Commands							  egrep(1)

NAME
egrep - search a file for a pattern using full regular expressions SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/egrep [-bchilnsv] -e pattern_list [file...] /usr/bin/egrep [-bchilnsv] -f file [file...] /usr/bin/egrep [-bchilnsv] pattern [file...] /usr/xpg4/bin/egrep [-bchilnqsvx] -e pattern_list [-f file] [file...] /usr/xpg4/bin/egrep [-bchilnqsvx] [-e pattern_list] -f file [file...] /usr/xpg4/bin/egrep [-bchilnqsvx] pattern [file...] DESCRIPTION
The egrep (expression grep) utility searches files for a pattern of characters and prints all lines that contain that pattern. egrep uses full regular expressions (expressions that have string values that use the full set of alphanumeric and special characters) to match the patterns. It uses a fast deterministic algorithm that sometimes needs exponential space. If no files are specified, egrep assumes standard input. Normally, each line found is copied to the standard output. The file name is printed before each line found if there is more than one input file. /usr/bin/egrep The /usr/bin/egrep utility accepts full regular expressions as described on the regexp(5) manual page, except for ( and ), ( and ), { and }, < and >, and , and with the addition of: 1. A full regular expression followed by + that matches one or more occurrences of the full regular expression. 2. A full regular expression followed by ? that matches 0 or 1 occurrences of the full regular expression. 3. Full regular expressions separated by | or by a NEWLINE that match strings that are matched by any of the expressions. 4. A full regular expression that can be enclosed in parentheses ()for grouping. Be careful using the characters $, *, [, ^, |, (, ), and in full regular expression, because they are also meaningful to the shell. It is safest to enclose the entire full regular expression in single quotes (a'a'). The order of precedence of operators is [], then *?+, then concatenation, then | and NEWLINE. /usr/xpg4/bin/egrep The /usr/xpg4/bin/egrep utility uses the regular expressions described in the EXTENDED REGULAR EXPRESSIONS section of the regex(5) manual page. OPTIONS
The following options are supported for both /usr/bin/egrep and /usr/xpg4/bin/egrep: -b Precede each line by the block number on which it was found. This can be useful in locating block numbers by context (first block is 0). -c Print only a count of the lines that contain the pattern. -e pattern_list Search for a pattern_list (full regular expression that begins with a -). -f file Take the list of full regular expressions from file. -h Suppress printing of filenames when searching multiple files. -i Ignore upper/lower case distinction during comparisons. -l Print the names of files with matching lines once, separated by NEWLINEs. Does not repeat the names of files when the pattern is found more than once. -n Precede each line by its line number in the file (first line is 1). -s Work silently, that is, display nothing except error messages. This is useful for checking the error status. -v Print all lines except those that contain the pattern. /usr/xpg4/bin/egrep The following options are supported for /usr/xpg4/bin/egrep only: -q Quiet. Does not write anything to the standard output, regardless of matching lines. Exits with zero status if an input line is selected. -x Consider only input lines that use all characters in the line to match an entire fixed string or regular expression to be matching lines. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file A path name of a file to be searched for the patterns. If no file operands are specified, the standard input is used. /usr/bin/egrep pattern Specify a pattern to be used during the search for input. /usr/xpg4/bin/egrep pattern Specify one or more patterns to be used during the search for input. This operand is treated as if it were specified as -epat- tern_list.. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of egrep when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2^31 bytes). ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of egrep: LC_COLLATE, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 If any matches are found. 1 If no matches are found. 2 For syntax errors or inaccessible files (even if matches were found). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: /usr/bin/egrep +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Not Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ /usr/xpg4/bin/egrep +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWxcu4 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
fgrep(1), grep(1), sed(1), sh(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), regex(5), regexp(5), XPG4(5) NOTES
Ideally there should be only one grep command, but there is not a single algorithm that spans a wide enough range of space-time trade-offs. Lines are limited only by the size of the available virtual memory. /usr/xpg4/bin/egrep The /usr/xpg4/bin/egrep utility is identical to /usr/xpg4/bin/grep -E. See grep(1). Portable applications should use /usr/xpg4/bin/grep -E. SunOS 5.11 24 Mar 2006 egrep(1)