Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash commands to an 'ssh' within an ssh' Post 302386861 by mcintosh.jamie on Wednesday 13th of January 2010 10:05:47 PM
Old 01-13-2010
Thankyou trey85stang, I tried your solution but received the same problem as before. I've been trying all sorts of syntax arrangements with no success.

Lakris I've tried running the programs using the full path which has a lot more success. It looks as if it's actually running something on the second server now.

However quite a few of the programs I need to run require access to other programs. ie running qfree requires qhost so I can't successfully run qfree using its full path. This is written in its own programming so I can't change this.

ie.
ssh hamilton /usr/local/Cluster-Apps/sge/bin/lx26-amd64/qfree

Responds with:
sh: qhost: command not found
-------------------------------------------------------
QUEUE PE FREE USED TOTAL

So what I'm guessing now is that it's successfully running qfree but failing to find qhost.

Is there any way I could pre load these programs into some form of cash (like the /bin store) when I connect into the second server so I don't need to run any program using the full path?

Thanks for your continued support
Jamie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SSH Compress Commands

I am brand new to unix and am hoping someone can start me in the right direction. I hope I have the right forum but if not can a moderator move this thread to the right area. I am moving servers and need to back up a folder and its sub folders into a .tar.gz file then want to upload that file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kushti
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh and commands

can someone point me to where it explains how to set the right commands wd ssh? cat something | while read h; do awk 'BEGIN {FS="\n"; RS=""; ORS="\n\n"} {if ($0~/'$h'/) print hdrvar,"\n",$0 }' /something/somedata ; done above works in when ssh'ing into linux machine invoke like this ssh... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: convenientstore
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

remote ssh commands help

I have a script that I'm trying to use that will check for files on a remote machine and if there is files copy the files, modify the perm on the copied files, and then delete the files off of the remote server. Right now I need to get the correct syntax so the the remote commands still interpret... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcalisi
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

could not send commands SSH session with Net::SSH::Expect

I am using Net::SSH::Expect to connect to the device(iLO) with SSH. After the $ssh->login() I'm able to view the prompt, but not able to send any coommands. With the putty I can connect to the device and execute the commands without any issues. Here is the sample script my $ssh =... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hansini
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

executing commands over ssh

Hi I am trying to send a command over ssh with a parameter but the shell fails to expand the command properly any ideas what am i doing wrong with this. This is ssh on AIX for i in 71 72 73 74 75 do for server in server1 server2 do somestr="Some String" echo "$server... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xiamin
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute ssh commands through bash script

Hi all! I am trying to write a script that will check if a certain directory is available at several different nodes and then do stuff in it ..... On the beginning of the script I give as a variable the directory and the number of the nodes and then I loop like this: for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: idet2
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh commands in Perl

I'm new to perl. I have a input file with pipe delimited lines which have server_name, and file names as fields. The file names have wild card (*) in the input feed file. The actual file names will be suffixed with timestamps. Ex: Actual files in remote servers server_1/abc_20110801.txt... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bperl
3 Replies

8. Programming

Using Commands over SSH using Sudo

Is there a way to transfer my sudo password via ssh so that I can copy files remotely and pass them locally, so: cat sudo-passwd-file|ssh -t user@10.7.0.180 'sudo find / -depth|cpio -oacv|gzip' > /path/to/dir/file.cpio.gz I am in the process of a creating a script. Everytime I try and just... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: metallica1973
16 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

SSH + multiple commands

Sorry for the basic question here, but I can't seem to find an answer anywhere. I want to alias a command that will ssh and then open up bbedit all in 1 command. alias bbb 'ssh NAME@SERVER bbedit' returns: bash: bbedit: command not found It returns this same thing for anything except... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: busdriver
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remote ssh commands

ssh XXXXX@XXXXX'. $HOME/.profile 2>/dev/null;cd $COMMON_TOP/admin/scripts/$CONTEXT_NAME; adcmctl.sh start "apps${AppsPass}" || cd $ADMIN_SCRIPTS_HOME; adcmctl.sh start "apps${AppsPass}"' As per our business requirement we should be able to execute the above two commands seprated with or ( || )... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Y.balakrishna
4 Replies
PIDOF(8)						Linux System Administrator's Manual						  PIDOF(8)

NAME
pidof -- find the process ID of a running program. SYNOPSIS
pidof [-s] [-c] [-n] [-x] [-o omitpid[,omitpid..]] [-o omitpid[,omitpid..]..] program [program..] DESCRIPTION
Pidof finds the process id's (pids) of the named programs. It prints those id's on the standard output. This program is on some systems used in run-level change scripts, especially when the system has a System-V like rc structure. In that case these scripts are located in /etc/rc?.d, where ? is the runlevel. If the system has a start-stop-daemon (8) program that should be used instead. OPTIONS
-s Single shot - this instructs the program to only return one pid. -c Only return process ids that are running with the same root directory. This option is ignored for non-root users, as they will be unable to check the current root directory of processes they do not own. -n Avoid stat(2) system function call on all binaries which are located on network based file systems like NFS. Instead of using this option the the variable PIDOF_NETFS may be set and exported. -x Scripts too - this causes the program to also return process id's of shells running the named scripts. -o omitpid Tells pidof to omit processes with that process id. The special pid %PPID can be used to name the parent process of the pidof pro- gram, in other words the calling shell or shell script. EXIT STATUS
0 At least one program was found with the requested name. 1 No program was found with the requested name. NOTES
pidof is actually the same program as killall5; the program behaves according to the name under which it is called. When pidof is invoked with a full pathname to the program it should find the pid of, it is reasonably safe. Otherwise it is possible that it returns pids of running programs that happen to have the same name as the program you're after but are actually other programs. Note that that the executable name of running processes is calculated with readlink(2), so symbolic links to executables will also match. SEE ALSO
shutdown(8), init(8), halt(8), reboot(8), killall5(8) AUTHOR
Miquel van Smoorenburg, miquels@cistron.nl 01 Sep 1998 PIDOF(8)