Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Reading data from file and assigning to variable Post 302380191 by sudhakaryadav on Monday 14th of December 2009 01:18:09 PM
Old 12-14-2009
Reading data from file and assigning to variable

I was trying to store the number of lines in a file and store it in a file.after that i want to store the information in a file to a variable which is further used in the if loop to check certain condition.

Code:
#!/bin/bash
cat <file> | wc -l > count.txt
x="$count.txt";
i=10;
if [ "$x" -lt "$i" ]; then
cat file1 > test.txt
else
cat file2 > test.txt
fi

but above script is not working for both conditions.

Please help me

Last edited by pludi; 12-14-2009 at 02:31 PM.. Reason: code tags, please...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading file and assigning that to Variable

I am missing something here, I have a file which contains only one line and that is either a number or character string. I am trying to read the file and assign that value to a variable and here it seems I am missing something and not getting the expected results... Here is the code : #!/bin/ksh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vaddadi
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading from a file and assigning values

HI I have something like this in a file ABC = 1 DEF = 2 GHI = 3 JKL = 4 MNO = 5 QRS = 6 TUV = 7 I need to assign ABC to V_abc (that is to a variable) GHI to V_ghi (that is to another variable) TUV to say V_tuv ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssuresh1999
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Assigning value in a text file to a variable

Hi, I need to place a number located in a text file in a variable so I can perform if/then comparison. How would I go about doing this? Using A=awk '{print $2}' maintenance_date.tmp does not seem to work. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching a text file and assigning it to a variable

Hi Gurus, I am new to unix.I have a requirement as below I have text file like a.txt which contains a.txt hi hello process update status Ok to Proceed no issues good data arrangement My requirement here is i need to read the file and check for the words "OK to Proceed" and if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pssandeep
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning a value as a variable from a text file

I have a txt file output.txt Freq = 1900 L = 159I want to assign the values to a variable so that i can further use it in some other script. like F=1900 Len=159 etc i tried doing something with awk but dosent work F=$(awk 'BEGIN {}/Freq/ {split ($2,a);depth=a};printf "%d\t,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shashi792
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash: Reading a file and assigning variables from file

I have a file that has four values on each line and I'd like to give each column a variable name and then use those values in each step of a loop. In bash, I believe you could use a while loop to do this or possibly a cat command, but I am super new to programming and I'm having trouble decoding... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccorder22
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading from a file and assigning to an array in perl

I wrote a simply perl that searched a file for a particualr value and if it found it, rite it and the next three lines to a file. Now I have been asked to check those next three lines for a different value and only write those lines if it finds the second value. I was thinking the best way to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: billprice13
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

assigning variable in txt file

Hi all, One of my txt file has common format like . And I need to manually assign variable to "/a/b/c/file1/txt" , which has common text before "Calculated summary file:". I wonder if I can use some command to do that for me, that it read the file and check for that comonn text and assign... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: emily
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning file to a variable

Hi, I have a list of files in a directory. Each file has a .txt and a .log extension i.e. file.txt & file.log, file1.txt & file1.log etc. The file with the .log extension may not always exist alongside the file with the .txt extension. I need to copy the .txt file if there is a corresponding... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: brunlea
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl : reading data from dumper variable

Hi team, # PERL I have Dumper variable in perl and containing the below data and trying to fetch value and name from the reference variable. $VAR1 = { 'retainSysIds' => 'true', 'variables' => , 'name' => , ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: giridhar276
4 Replies
BZEXE(1)						      General Commands Manual							  BZEXE(1)

NAME
bzexe - compress executable files in place SYNOPSIS
bzexe [ name ... ] DESCRIPTION
The bzexe utility allows you to compress executables in place and have them automatically uncompress and execute when you run them (at a penalty in performance). For example if you execute ``bzexe /bin/cat'' it will create the following two files: -r-xr-xr-x 1 root bin 9644 Feb 11 11:16 /bin/cat -r-xr-xr-x 1 bin bin 24576 Nov 23 13:21 /bin/cat~ /bin/cat~ is the original file and /bin/cat is the self-uncompressing executable file. You can remove /bin/cat~ once you are sure that /bin/cat works properly. This utility is most useful on systems with very small disks. OPTIONS
-d Decompress the given executables instead of compressing them. SEE ALSO
bzip2(1), znew(1), zmore(1), zcmp(1), zforce(1) CAVEATS
The compressed executable is a shell script. This may create some security holes. In particular, the compressed executable relies on the PATH environment variable to find gzip and some other utilities (tail, chmod, ln, sleep). BUGS
bzexe attempts to retain the original file attributes on the compressed executable, but you may have to fix them manually in some cases, using chmod or chown. BZEXE(1)