Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Read file line spaces
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Read file line spaces Post 302375354 by steadyonabix on Friday 27th of November 2009 11:11:50 AM
Old 11-27-2009
I thought you must be but what are you doing with it?

If you post your code you are more likely to get a useful answer....

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read a line when it starts with spaces

Hi , I use read command to get the input text, When i try to get the line starting with spaces or ending with spaces it automatically truncates the spaces and displays the remaining content. Code i tried (UserInput.sh): #!/bin/bash echo -n "Enter some text > " read text echo "You... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: PrakashChinna
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh - read file with leading spaces

Hi, Could someone has any suggestions on this? When read a line from a file, I need to check the first char in the line, it could be a space or any char. But the leading spaces are removed by read. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: momi
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read variables contain spaces from text file

Dears, I developed a shell script to read varibales from text file as the following: cat /dev/null > /rename-OUT.txt while read line do set -- `echo $line` snmpset -c dslmibs $1 sysName.0 octetstring $2 after=$(snmpget -c dslmibs $1 sysName.0 | cut -d: -f3) echo "$1,$2,$after" >>... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ahmed.zaher
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to read a line with spaces bet " " and write to a file

Hi, I need a command in UNIX KSH below is the description... MAPPING DESCRIPTION ="Test Mapping for the calid inputs" ISVALID ="YES" NAME ="m_test_xml" OBJECTVERSION ="1" VERSIONNUMBER ="1" unix ksh command to read the DESCRIPTION and write to a file Test Mapping for the calid inputs... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: perlamohan
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to append spaces(say 10 spaces) at the end of each line based on the length of th

Hi, I have a problem where I need to append few spaces(say 10 spaces) for each line in a file whose length is say(100 chars) and others leave as it is. I tried to find the length of each line and then if the length is say 100 chars then tried to write those lines into another file and use a sed... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: prathima
17 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to read a line in gps receiver log file and append that line to new file

Hi, I have gps receiver log..its giving readings .like below Trying 127.0.0.1... Connected to localhost. Escape character is '^]'. GPSD,R=1 $GPGSV,3,1,11,08,16,328,40,11,36,127,00,28,33,283,39,20,11,165,00*71... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gudivada213
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash: read file line by line (lines have '\0') - not full line has read???

I am using the while-loop to read a file. The file has lines with null-terminated strings (words, actually.) What I have by that reading - just a first word up to '\0'! I need to have whole string up to 'new line' - (LF, 10#10, 16#A) What I am doing wrong? #make file 'grb' with... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read file line by line and process the line to generate another file

Hi, i have file which contains data as below(Only sample shown, it may contain more data similar to the one shown here) i need to read this file line by line and generate an output file like the one below i.e based on N value the number of MSISDNs will vary, if N=1 then the following... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: aemunathan
14 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a program that read a file line by line and prints out lines 1, 2 & 3 after an empty line...

Hello, I need a program that read a file line by line and prints out lines 1, 2 & 3 after an empty line... An example of entries in the file would be: SRVXPAPI001 ERRO JUN24 07:28:34 1775 REASON= 0000, PROCID= #E506 #1065: TPCIPPR, INDEX= 003F ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ferocci
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read file line by line and compare subset of 1st line with 2nd?

Hi all, I have a log file say Test.log that gets updated continuously and it has data in pipe separated format. A sample log file would look like: <date1>|<data1>|<url1>|<result1> <date2>|<data2>|<url2>|<result2> <date3>|<data3>|<url3>|<result3> <date4>|<data4>|<url4>|<result4> What I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pat_pramod
3 Replies
echo(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						  echo(1B)

NAME
echo - echo arguments to standard output SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/echo [-n] [argument] DESCRIPTION
echo writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files and for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of envi- ronment variables. For example, you can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o echo your current-working-directory's full pathname o pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters o pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo "echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w" See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. The shells csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1), each have an echo built-in command, which, by default, will have precedence, and will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. /usr/ucb/echo and csh's echo() have an -n option, but do not understand back-slashed escape characters. sh's echo(), ksh's echo(), and /usr/bin/echo, on the other hand, understand the black-slashed escape characters, and ksh's echo() also understands a as the audible bell character; however, these commands do not have an -n option. OPTIONS
-n Do not add the NEWLINE to the output. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), echo(1), ksh(1), sh(1), tr(1), wc(1), attributes(5) NOTES
The -n option is a transition aid for BSD applications, and may not be supported in future releases. SunOS 5.11 3 Aug 1994 echo(1B)