Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Deleting lines that contain spaces in a txt file Post 302373560 by cfajohnson on Friday 20th of November 2009 05:43:39 PM
Old 11-20-2009
Code:
awk '!/ /' "$file"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting end line spaces for along file

How can i clear all space characteres for a long file at the end of each line? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: osymad
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

csh script for deleting extra spaces in text file

I am new to scripting and I needed to know if there would be an easy way to delete extra spaces in a text file. I have a file with three rows with 22 numbers each, but there is extra spaces between the numbers when it gets output by this program AFNI that I am using. What script would help delete... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hertingm
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

deleting white spaces in a file

Hello Guys, I am a newbie to unix. I am having a requirement. Please help me for finding a solution for this, I am having a file as mentioned below: $ cat shank ackca acackac akcajc akcjkcja akcj ckcklc I want to delete all the white spaces in this file, I tried... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mraghunandanan
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting lines starting with spaces then non-numerals

I did a search but couldn't find a thread that seemed to answer this but my apologies if it has been answered before. I have some text files and I need to remove any line that does not start with a number (0-9). In actuality every line like this starts with a 'T' (or 't') but there are a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: skray
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting lines in .txt with nonspecific value

Hello, i am new to the forum and know nothing about programing, Linux or Unix :( hope somebody can help me out. I have a .txt file that i need to delete certain lines from. After searching the forum i noticed that using "sed" was the way to go, so i installed gnuwin32 (i use windows xp... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: luis3141
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to cp lines x->y from 1.txt into lines a->b in file2.txt

I have one base file, and multiple target files-- each have uniform line structure so no need to use grep to find things-- can just define sections by line number. My question is quite simple-- can I use sed to copy a defined block of lines (say lines 5-10) from filename1.txt to overwrite an... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: czar21
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

merging two .txt files by alternating x lines from file 1 and y lines from file2

Hi everyone, I have two files (A and B) and want to combine them to one by always taking 10 rows from file A and subsequently 6 lines from file B. This process shall be repeated 40 times (file A = 400 lines; file B = 240 lines). Does anybody have an idea how to do that using perl, awk or sed?... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ink_LE
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reform Lines in File without blank lines and spaces

Hello All, I have a file with data as below. Each line consists of 21 fields. I am not able to load them back to the database. 50733339,"834","834 ","005010X279A1","N","Y","007977163","0001 ",30,"2110D ","EB ","EB007 ","2 ","Conditional Required Data Element Miss ing... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Praveenkulkarni
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting Repeating lines from a txt file via script

Hi, I'm having trouble in achieving the following scenario. There is a txt file with thousands of lines and few lines are repeated, which needs to be removed using a script. File.txt 20140522121432,0,12,ram Loc=India From=ram@xxx.com, To=ravi@yyy.com,, 1 2 3 4 . . 30... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gautham
18 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux Commands needed for replacing variable number of spaces with a single , in a txt file

Hi I want to read a text file and replace various number of spaces between each string in to a single "," or any other character .Please let me know the command to do so. My input file is a txt file which is the output of a SQL table extract so it contains so many spaces between each column of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hari Prasanth
2 Replies
MAN(7)							 Miscellaneous Information Manual						    MAN(7)

NAME
man - macros to typeset manual SYNOPSIS
nroff -man file ... troff -man file ... DESCRIPTION
These macros are used to lay out pages of this manual. A skeleton page may be found in the file /usr/man/man.template. Any text argument t may be zero to six words. Quotes may be used to include blanks in a `word'. If text is empty, special treatment is applied to the next input line with text to be printed. In this way .I may be used to italicize a whole line, or .SM may be followed by .B to make small bold letters. A prevailing indent distance is remembered between successive indented paragraphs, and is reset to default value upon reaching a non- indented paragraph. Default units for indents i are ens. Type font and size are reset to default values before each paragraph, and after processing font and size setting macros. These strings are predefined by -man: *R `(Reg)', trademark symbol in troff. *S Change to default type size. FILES
/usr/share/tmac/tmac.an /usr/man/man.template SEE ALSO
troff(1), man(1) BUGS
Relative indents don't nest. REQUESTS
Request Cause If no Explanation Break Argument .B t no t=n.t.l.*Text t is bold. .BI t no t=n.t.l. Join words of t alternating bold and italic. .BR t no t=n.t.l. Join words of t alternating bold and Roman. .DT no .5i 1i...Restore default tabs. .HP i yes i=p.i.* Set pre- vailing indent to i. Begin paragraph with hanging indent. .I t no t=n.t.l. Text t is italic. .IB t no t=n.t.l. Join words of t alternating italic and bold. .IP x i yes x="" Same as .TP with tag x. .IR t no t=n.t.l. Join words of t alternating italic and Roman. .LP yes - Same as .PP. .PD d no d=.4v Interparagraph distance is d. .PP yes - Begin paragraph. Set prevailing indent to .5i. .RE yes - End of relative indent. Set prevailing indent to amount of starting .RS. .RB t no t=n.t.l. Join words of t alternating Roman and bold. .RI t no t=n.t.l. Join words of t alternating Roman and italic. .RS i yes i=p.i. Start relative indent, move left margin in distance i. Set prevailing indent to .5i for nested indents. .SH t yes t=n.t.l. Subhead. .SM t no t=n.t.l. Text t is small. .TH n c x v m yes -Begin page named n of chapter c; x is extra commentary, e.g. `local', for page foot center; v alters page foot left, e.g. `4th Berkeley Distribution'; m alters page head center, e.g. `Brand X Programmer's Manual'. Set prevailing indent and tabs to .5i. .TP i yes i=p.i. Set prevailing indent to i. Begin indented paragraph with hanging tag given by next text line. If tag doesn't fit, place it on separate line. * n.t.l. = next text line; p.i. = prevailing indent 7th Edition October 22, 1996 MAN(7)