Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris add administrator user to system Post 302356456 by cata on Friday 25th of September 2009 03:22:38 PM
Old 09-25-2009
Sure tanks

I need to create a new root user with all permissions as an administrator but the root user already exists with this identification card but I want to change the number of that card for my number and change the password. Or the other would create a new user.

Which is better, thanks

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to add user on Embedded System

The directions below were provided by someone on the unslung mailing list. unslung is a linux OS for LinkSys's $100 NSLU2 NAS controller. I'm posting the query here because (1) I think it is really a generic linux/unix questions (2) I did not get a response in the unslung mailing list. I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siegfried
1 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

I want to become a System Administrator

Has anyone got any advice on how I can get a job as a Unix/Solaris system administrator? My current job is supporting an application that runs on Solaris servers. I have very minimal Solaris/Unix skills but would like to expand on them with the aim of getting a junior sys admin role. I have... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sepia
4 Replies

3. AIX

Test 223: System p Administrator

Please may you help me with specific study packs, redbooks etc that may help me pass this certification. Also can you advise me the best AIX certification course as I am new to AIX, coming from solaris and networking environments. Thanx (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zim-Aix-Guru
10 Replies

4. Advertise with Us

Needed: Sr. System Administrator

Composite Software, Inc. is hiring! Sr. System Administrator Location: San Mateo, CA REQ: 10-22 Reports to: IT Manager Job Description Composite Software is hiring a full-time System Administrator. The system administrator will be responsible for installing,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Composite SW
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Scripting for System Administrator

Hello All, If possible can anybody kindly let me know the good shell scripting book for system Administrator. Thanks & Regards, Vinay.K.S (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vinay_ks
1 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

Know your System Administrator

Couldn't resist: www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/know.your.sysadmin.html (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: radoulov
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Linux System Administrator for a role in CH

Hi guys I hope I will not break any rules and guidelines on the forum with this post. I am Admir, working as a recruiter for execIT Recruitment Zurich, Switzerland. Our client is an urgent need of a linux system administrator/support analyst who has trading floor experience and is eligible... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BosAd
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Becoming a system administrator, need some advice.

I've been learning linux and solaris for the past couple months and have been thinking about seeking a systems admin career. Is it worth it to learn solaris? Do many companies really use it or is it a waste of my time? Would learning just linux be a better idea? I see there's more opportunity as a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: austinramsay
2 Replies
CHMOD(1)						      General Commands Manual							  CHMOD(1)

NAME
chmod - change mode SYNOPSIS
chmod mode file ... DESCRIPTION
The mode of each named file is changed according to mode, which may be absolute or symbolic. An absolute mode is an octal number con- structed from the OR of the following modes: 4000 set user ID on execution 2000 set group ID on execution 1000 sticky bit, see chmod(2) 0400 read by owner 0200 write by owner 0100 execute (search in directory) by owner 0070 read, write, execute (search) by group 0007 read, write, execute (search) by others A symbolic mode has the form: [who] op permission [op permission] ... The who part is a combination of the letters u (for user's permissions), g (group) and o (other). The letter a stands for ugo. If who is omitted, the default is a but the setting of the file creation mask (see umask(2)) is taken into account. Op can be + to add permission to the file's mode, - to take away permission and = to assign permission absolutely (all other bits will be reset). Permission is any combination of the letters r (read), w (write), x (execute), s (set owner or group id) and t (save text - sticky). Let- ters u, g or o indicate that permission is to be taken from the current mode. Omitting permission is only useful with = to take away all permissions. The first example denies write permission to others, the second makes a file executable: chmod o-w file chmod +x file Multiple symbolic modes separated by commas may be given. Operations are performed in the order specified. The letter s is only useful with u or g. Only the owner of a file (or the super-user) may change its mode. SEE ALSO
ls(1), chmod(2), chown (1), stat(2), umask(2) CHMOD(1)