Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory Issue available disk space while using xdd Post 302354515 by mrpogo07 on Friday 18th of September 2009 11:16:05 AM
Old 09-18-2009
Issue available disk space while using xdd

Good morning,

I seem to be running into an issue with some drives I have attached to my solaris server. The drives are attached correctly, the partitions are arranged with fdisk, the ext3 filesystem is setup using mkfs, and finally the drive is mounted.

When I use xdd to perform read/write operations, for some reason with writes in particular, the drives seem to lose track of how much space is available. Using df, I can see that there are about 50 GB available on these nearly empty drives but once I begin using a write with xdd, the drive size jumps to 11 TB and the used space jumps up to 11 TB as well.

I feel as though the xdd program may be altering the partition table of some sort and is ruining the tests I'm trying to gather. If anyone has experience with xdd and could lend some assistance it would be greatly appreciated.

The command for xdd I am executing is as follows:

xdd.linux -blocksize 262144 -datapattern random -seek random -reqsize 1 -op write -targets 1 /dev/sdb1 -deletfile -mbytes 10240 -csvout "10_write_ran_256_01.txt"

Thanks for the assistance and if you need more information please ask!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Out of disk space?

Hi I'm trying to install gcc and the installation program tells me that I'm out of disk space! I have just installed the os (using the default settings for partitions and sizes) and have only installed apache on the machine. Can it really be out of disk space already? How do I check how much... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alfabetman
4 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Disk space

Can someone tell me how to determine how much disk space has been allocated to me and how much of it I am using? Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jxh461
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

available disk space on disk device???

Hello, Can someone please tell me which command to use to determine the available disk space on a given disk device? I have to write a shell script that compresses files and stores them in a specific location but I am not sure how "conservative" I should be? Thanks in advance! Al. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alan
4 Replies

4. Solaris

Disk space?

I'm a Unix newbie running Solaris 9. After installing a fresh copy on a 40GB drive I noticed the available disk space is 2% free or approximately 200MB available. Is that possible? Did I do something wrong? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbarbuto
4 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

disk space

Hi experts i am new in unix and informix and would like to ask 2 questions 1) my server shows when using df -k fs 1024-block used available /usr 10079072 3668670 6381144 does this mean i have 10GB, and used up 3.7GB and available 6.3GB ??? is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingsto88
3 Replies

6. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

disk space

Hello All- Am new member to this forum. Have some unix experience. But true believer in it compared to windows. Have a question regarding the disk space. I know a command to check the total disk space utilization using: df -k . but what is the command to check the same disk space by... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: milkyway
6 Replies

7. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Issue with disk space usage

Issue with disk space usage I have the following line in my "df -h" output: Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on /dev/ad4s1a 496M 495M -39M 109% / What is the issue with having 9% excess utilisation? How can I find out what this partition is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

disk space

Hi, I am new to shell scripting, and want to monitor disk space using shell script continously on server, which will shoot mail after crossing threshold limit Please suggest. Regards Manoj (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How much disk space?

Hi, I have this : uname -a Linux servername 2.6.18-194.11.3.el5PAE #1 SMP Mon Aug 23 15:57:10 EDT 2010 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux df -k Sys. de fich. 1K-blocs Occupied Disponible Capacity Monted on /u01/applis 10321208 3190160 6606760 33% /applis Does it mean... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: big123456
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Disk Space

I know there are other threads but they have not helped. My server is running low on disk space and I haven't been able to re-allocate. I think my solaris machine is missing tools or the way it was originally setup, may not have the right pathing. $ df -k Filesystem kbytes used... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lnxjenn
5 Replies
XP(4)							     Kernel Interfaces Manual							     XP(4)

NAME
xp - generic SMD moving-head disk SYNOPSIS
/sys/conf/SYSTEM: NXPC xp_controllers # Number of controllers NXPD xp_drives # RM02/03/05, RP04/05/06, # CDC 9766, Fuji 160, etc. BADSECT NO # Bad sector handling (see BUGS) /etc/dtab: #Name Unit# Addr Vector Br Handler(s) # Comments xp ? 176700 254 5 xpintr # xp driver major device number(s): raw: 19 block: 10 minor device encoding: bits 0007 specify partition of XP drive bits 0370 specify XP drive DESCRIPTION
The xp driver is a generic SMD storage module disk driver. It can be adapted to most SMD controllers although bootstrapping will not nec- essarily be directly possible. The drives are numbered from 0 to n on controller 0, from n+1 to m on controller 1, etc. The drives may have different geometries. The xp driver is unique amoungst 2BSD drivers in its numbering of drives. Other drivers (ra for example) number drives 0 thru 7 on con- troller 1, 8 thru 15 on controller 2 and so on. xp on the other hand can have drives 0 and 1 on controller 1, drives 2, 3, 4 and 5 on con- troller 2 and drives 6, 7 and 8 on controller 3. This is different from boot's view of the world, so if you are booting from other than unit 0 you may have to experiment a bit. Files with minor device numbers 0 through 7 refer to various portions of drive 0; minor devices 8 through 15 refer to drive 1, etc. The standard device names begin with ``xp'' followed by the drive number and then a letter a-h for partitions 0-7 respectively. The character ? stands here for a drive number in the range 0-7. The block files access the disk via the system's normal buffering mechanism and may be read and written without regard to physical disk records. There is also a `raw' interface which provides for direct transmission between the disk and the user's read or write buffer. A single read or write call results in exactly one I/O operation and therefore raw I/O is considerably more efficient when many words are transmitted. The names of the raw files conventionally begin with an extra `r.' In raw I/O the buffer must begin on a word (even) boundary, and counts should be a multiple of 512 bytes (a disk sector). Likewise lseek calls should specify a multiple of 512 bytes. DISK SUPPORT
Disks must be labeled using either the standalone disklabel program on the boot tape or with the disklabel(8) program. The kernel no longer attempts to determine the drive type and geometry, instead reading this information from the disklabel. There are no partition tables coded into the xp driver, these must be placed on the drive with disklabel. Special files should only be created for the partitions that are actually used, as the overlap in these addresses could lead to confusion otherwise. Traditionally the xp?a partition is normally used for the root file system, the xp?b partition as a swap area, and the xp?c partition for pack-pack copying (it maps the entire disk). FILES
/dev/xp[0-7][a-h] block files /dev/rxp[0-7][a-h] raw files /dev/MAKEDEV script to create special files /dev/MAKEDEV.local script to localize special files SEE ALSO
hk(4), ra(4), ram(4), rk(4), rl(4), rp(4), rx(4), si(4), dtab(5), autoconfig(8), newfs(8) DIAGNOSTICS
xp%d%c: hard error sn%d cs2=%b er1=%b. An unrecoverable error occurred during transfer of the specified sector of the specified disk par- tition. The contents of the two error registers are also printed in octal and symbolically with bits decoded. The error was either unre- coverable, or a large number of retry attempts (including offset positioning and drive recalibration) could not recover the error. xp%d: write locked. The write protect switch was set on the drive when a write was attempted. The write operation is not recoverable. xp%d%c: soft ecc sn%d. A recoverable ECC error occurred on the specified sector of the specified disk partition. This happens normally a few times a week. If it happens more frequently than this the sectors where the errors are occurring should be checked to see if certain cylinders on the pack, spots on the carriage of the drive or heads are indicated. xp%d: unknown device type 0%o. The number in the drive's drive type register is unknown to the xp driver. BUGS
In raw I/O read and write(2) truncate file offsets to 512-byte block boundaries, and write scribbles on the tail of incomplete blocks. Thus, in programs that are likely to access raw devices, read, write and lseek(2) should always deal in 512-byte multiples. DEC-standard error logging should be supported. The kernel uses partition 'h' to access the badblock information. This should have been 'c' except that almost all of the /etc/disktab entries (and thus existing systems) use 'h' for this purpose. Unless you are very careful with disklabel|(8) (to make certain that no data partition overlaps the badblock area) you should probably leave BADSECT undefined in the kernel config file. 3rd Berkeley Distribution August 14, 1995 XP(4)