Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: AIX OS bit info
Operating Systems AIX AIX OS bit info Post 302324566 by shockneck on Thursday 11th of June 2009 05:29:44 AM
Old 06-11-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderfoot
I am sorry that I didnt't tell that bootinfo was not working for me.[...]
Some commands are meant for root only. As normal user you need to use AIX's public APIs. The AIX default tool for extracting system information is prtconf aka lsconf since AIX 4.3.3. Among other information it returns the CPU Type i.e. whether the hardware is 32-Bit or 64-Bit and the Kernel Type i.e. what kernel you use.
In case you want to use this output in a script that runs with user privileges only you could also look into the lsconf script and you will find that it uses getsystype under the hood. Getsystype is some sort of a sudo wrapper i.e. it allows users to retrieve information that otherwise could be retrieved by root only. E.g. with getsystype -y you get what root gets with bootinfo -y i.e. what hardware you are using and with getsystype -K you get what root gets with bootinfo -K i.e. which kernel you are using.
Looking at the links to /unix as some other poster sugested is useless though as this link can be changed and you might be using a 32-Bit kernel while the links point to the 64-Bit kernel which would be used after the next reboot only or vice versa.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

AIX 5.3 , gensyms command, translate 32 bit addr to 64 bit addr

I am trying to map the information from the gensyms command, Its gives information about the various symbols info like symbol type, addr offset, and the main libraries addr starting point. My problem is , how do I map this 32 bit addr to a 64 bit addr, I am trying to extract Segment # information... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrmeswani
0 Replies

2. AIX

pthread library on AIX 5.3 64 bit

Hi, I am running my application on two AIX 5.3 64 bit boxes. In one of the boxes it is running fine without any problems. But on the other box it fails as soon as it is started and it core dumps. When I was analysing the core I was able to find the below two lines in addition to other... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: allthanksquery
4 Replies

3. Programming

AIX 5.3 64-bit program crashes with AIX 5.1

I have an AIX 64-bit program which uses following from AIX5.3 /usr/lib/libc.a(shr_64.o) /usr/lib/libpthread.a(shr_xpg5_64.o) /home/jeet_xp/export/power/usr/lib/libsarpc.a(shr.o) /unix /usr/lib/libcrypt.a(shr_64.o) /usr/lib/libc_r.a(shr_64.o) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeet_xp
3 Replies

4. AIX

porting an application on 64-bit AIX version 5

Hi all, I am facing problem in porting to 64 bit AIX especially with compiling options to compile and run under 64 bit kernel.Can any one put some light on the issue thanks in advance vishal (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishalzone2002
14 Replies

5. AIX

Segmentation fault in nsgetcinfo in aix 64-bit c code

Hello, I am running on a AIX5.2 server with Oracle 10g and 9i. My code compiles and works fine in 32-bit mode. The same code compiles in 64-bit and runs good. The program catches CNTRL-C signal to terminate. Only on 64-bit code when i hit CNTRL-C, the program exits with segmentation... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumesh0710
0 Replies

6. AIX

Unix 64-bit AIX V6.1 Standard Edition

Unix 64bit AIX v6.1 standard edition what do you mean ? function ? pls, help me... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: khanhphv
1 Replies

7. AIX

Checking AIX 6.1 edition info

Hi folks, Will you help me getting the edition (standard, express, enterprise) of AIX 6.1 installed. Is there any straight method to find out. i have tried uname oslevel, but no luck, Regards, gjarms (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gjarms
2 Replies

8. AIX

32 bit app on aix 6.1

We have our in house developed software running on AIX 6.1 (6100-06-06-1140). The application is a 32 bit application and the operating system is 64 bit. We are running this application without any issue on AIX 5.3 32-bit on P5. We are facing issue with this application after moving on P7 with aix... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vjm
4 Replies

9. AIX

New to AIX and IBM Hardware. Need some info

Hello all. I'm new to AIX and IBM hardware and I have a question around the configuration of the service processor on the power series. I need to know: 1) How do I get into the service processor from the serial console when AIX is up and running. I come from the Sun world and I tried all I know.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: glenc2004
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Java 32 bit installation fails on an AIX platform

Hello. It is my first to deal with Java installation on an AIX platform. I am now trying to install Java 32bit using installp command. However, it throws back the message that the installation media cannot be found. I need to install Java 32bit to proceed with an installation of Oracle JD... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: EJ2019
0 Replies
KEXT_LOGGING(8) 					    BSD System Manager's Manual 					   KEXT_LOGGING(8)

NAME
kext logging -- verbose/logging flags for kernel extensions (kexts) in the kernel and command-line utilities DESCRIPTION
The kext management facilities of Mac OS X allow for logging of kext activity at all system levels, from the kernel to the user-space kext daemon and most command-line kext tools. The -verbose (-v) flag of the tools provides a simple system of levels that apply a set of lower level binary logging flags appropriate to each tool, for maximally useful verbose output. The binary log specification is used for kernel logging and is also available for use with the -verbose option when you need precise control over logging. ENABLING LOGGING
For command-line tools the -verbose (-v) and -quiet (-q) flags control verbose output. The -verbose flag accepts a decimal level from 0-6 or a hexadecimal log specification, both described below. The -verbose flag temporarily sets the log spec within the kernel, and captures any log messages from the kernel to print along with the tool's own log messages. If you wish to alter the logging behavior of kextd(8), you will need to edit its launchd.plist(5) file in /System/Library/LaunchdDaemons/com.apple.kextd.plist. To enable kernel kext logging (in /var/log/kernel.log) on a long-term basis, use the kextlog boot arg or sysctl(8) parameter. You can set it as root using nvram(8) like so: nvram boot-args="kextlog=0xlogspec other_boot_args" where logspec is a hexadecimal log specification, as described below under ``BINARY LOG SPECIFICATION''. Caution: Enabling logging at a high level via boot arg can greatly slow down system startup time. To change the kextlog setting at any time use sysctl(8): sysctl -w debug.kextlog=0xlogspec VERBOSE LEVELS
As mentioned, for the command-line kext tools you use the -verbose (-v) flag, which takes an optional argument that is either a decimal level from 0-6, or a hexadecimal log specification (described under ``BINARY LOG SPECIFICATION''). The details of each level vary by tool, but in general they are: 0 Errors only (that is, suppress warnings). Tools with a -verbose flag also support a -quiet flag to suppress all output. 1 (or none) Basic information about program operation. 2 Basic information about program progress, including files created. 3 Information about individual kexts, link/load operation, and processing of I/O Kit personalities. 4 Detailed information about kext operations, including C++ class construction/destruction, and for archives, about compression and architectures processed. 5 Debug-level information about internal operations. 6 Identical to level 5 but with bit 0x8 turned on (see the hecadecimal log specification for details). BINARY LOG SPECIFICATION
The binary log specification is a 32-bit value comprising a log level with a bitmask divided into several regions from the least-significant nibble (corresponding to digits from right to left in a hexadecimal representation). This table describes the regions and bits used; unlisted regions and bits are reserved for future use: Nibble 0 The log level, from 0-7. Each level includes all levels below it. This is generally two higher than the decimal level speci- fied with -verbose. Log level 0 - Silent. Log level 1 - Errors. Log level 2 - Warnings. Log level 3 - Basic outcome/result. Log level 4 - Operation progress. Log level 5 - Steps in a given operation. Log level 6 - Detailed logging. Log level 7 - Debug level logging. In addition, bit 0x8 of this nibble controls whether kext-specific log messages are always printed. kextcache(8) and kextunload(8) turn this bit on with their -verbose flag. See ``PER-KEXT LOGGING'' for more information. Nibbles 1-2 Activity flags relevant to general tool use, as in development scenarios. The -verbose flag always includes these. 8 bits total. Nibble 1, Bit 0 (0x10) - General activity. Nibble 1, Bit 1 (0x20) - Load activity. Nibble 1, Bit 2 (0x40) - IPC and load settings. Nibble 1, Bit 3 (0x80) - Archive processing. Nibble 2 - Reserved. Nibbles 3-7 Activity flags for internal operations, for debugging the kext management system itself. These are available only when using a hexadecimal log specification; the -verbose flag never includes these. 20 bits total. Nibble 3, Bit 0 (0x1000) - Kext validation. Nibble 3, Bit 1 (0x2000) - Kext authentication. Nibble 3, Bit 2 (0x4000) - Kext dependency resolution. Nibble 4, Bit 0 (0x10000) - Directory scan (booter data scan in the kernel). Nibble 4, Bit 1 (0x20000) - File I/O. Nibble 4, Bit 2 (0x40000) - Kext bookkeeping. Nibble 5, Bit 0 (0x100000) - Link activity. Nibble 5, Bit 1 (0x200000) - C++ patching activity. Nibbles 6-7 - Reserved. PER-KEXT LOGGING Many log messages apply to the kext being processed. The kernel and most of the command-line kext tools do not log these messages by default. You can enable these messages for an individual kext by specifying an OSBundleEnableKextLogging property in its Info.plist file with a boolean value of true. For convenience, kextutil(8) automatically sets this property for the kexts it is loading. You can activate all per-kext log messages using level 6 with the -verbose flag or by turning on bit 0x8 in a hexadecimal log specification. For convenience, kextcache(8) and kextunload(8) do this for all verbose levels of their -verbose flag. MAPPING VERBOSE LEVELS TO LOG SPECIFICATIONS
Here is a list of the exact hecadecimal log specifications applied by each of the -verbose levels: 0 equivalent to 0x0 for all tools. (default level) equivalent to 0xff2, 0xff9 for kextcache(8) and kextunload(8), 0xff3 for kextd(8) and for kextcache(8) spawned by kextd(8). 1 (or none) equivalent to 0xff3, or 0xffa for kextcache(8) and kextunload(8). 2 equivalent to 0xff4, or 0xffb for kextcache(8) and kextunload(8). 3 equivalent to 0xff5, or 0xffc for kextcache(8) and kextunload(8). 4 equivalent to 0xff6, or 0xffd for kextcache(8) and kextunload(8). 5 equivalent to 0xff7, or 0xffe for kextcache(8) and kextunload(8). 6 equivalent to 0xfff for all tools. FILES
/var/log/kernel.log The kernel log file, where kernel kext activity is logged. /var/log/system.log The system log file, where kextd(8) activity is logged. /System/Library/LaunchdDaemons/com.apple.kextd.plist Edit this launchd.plist(5) file to specify verbose logging for kextd(8). SEE ALSO
syslog(1), kextcache(8), kextd(8), kextlibs(8), kextload(8), kextunload(8), kextutil(8) Darwin March 6, 2009 Darwin