Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed -i '7 c\$variable' file ....(?!@#$%^&*!) Post 302315960 by Franklin52 on Wednesday 13th of May 2009 04:09:07 PM
Old 05-13-2009
Use double quotes, single quotes prevent the shell to expand the variable:

Code:
sed -i "N c $variable" FILE

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a line including Variable & Carriage Return / sed command as Variable

I want to instert Category:XXXXX into the 2. line something like this should work, but I have somewhere the wrong sytanx. something with the linebreak goes wrong: sed "2i\\${n}Category:$cat\n" Sample: Titel Blahh Blahh abllk sdhsd sjdhf Blahh Blah Blahh Blahh Should look like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

read contents of a file with serveral lines & assign it to a variable

Hi All I have a file for ex .log file which contain several lines within it. I have to read that file contents & assing that to a variable. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: satyam.sumit
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed & areas respectively sed & pyramiding

Hello everyone, i wonder if someone could give me an advice regarding the following problem using sed. Given ist a structure as shown below: <aaa>text1<b>text2</b>text3<c>text4</c>text5</aaa> Now I want to change the outer tag from "aaa" to "new" and replace all tags inside the outer tags... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Donaldinho
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using sed to write horizontally & sequentially in a file

Hey there I have two commands to get exactly the data i want but.. i want to write them into a file side by side and in the same order so that they always match. So what i'm hoping to learn from this thread is some of the different ways one could take the output of grepped data and write them in... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: phpfreak
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED/AWK file read & manipulation

I have large number of data files, close to 300 files, lets say all files are same kind and have extension .dat , each file have mulitple lines in it. There is a unique line in each file containing string 'SERVER'. Right after this line there is another line which contain a string 'DIGIT=0',... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sal_tx
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse text file in shell & store to variable

Hi, I need to parse a simple text file like below and store the word that starts with BR* to a variable say $BRno. I need to do this in sh script. NOTE: the length of the numbers following BR is in constant. And there is only 1 BRXXX in a file at a given time. .txt file: BR276828... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: script2010
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove part of file name with sed & mv

Ok, so I have bunch of files that are named "orange__file_name.asm" and I want to batch rename them to "file_name.asm" I know that using "ls | sed s/orange__//" will get rid of the part of the file name I do not want. But how do I combine that with the mv command to actually do it? Thanks JG (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: john galt
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[gnuwin32] sed & variable %TIME%

HI.. I made ".bat" in windows 2003 , with set TIEMPO1= %TIME% | sed -e "s/://g" -e "s/,//g" echo valor de tiempo1 = %TIEMPO1% when i execute this, the result is but if i open cmd, and execute en line command this.. G:\>echo %TIME% | sed -e "s/://g" -e "s/,//g" 12390841 anyone have... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: upszot
5 Replies

9. Red Hat

How to pass value of pwd as variable in SED to replace variable in a script file

Hi all, Hereby wish to have your advise for below: Main concept is I intend to get current directory of my script file. This script file will be copied to /etc/init.d. A string in this copy will be replaced with current directory value. Below is original script file: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cielle
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trim sed output & assign to variable

Hi, I have the following command that parses an xml file to read a node <port>'s value. Hoever the output comes with spaces. My requirement is to trim the spaces around the value and assign to a variable. sed -n 's|<port>\(.*\)</port>|\1|p' ../cfg.xml How do I go about it? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sai2013
6 Replies
regex(1F)							   FMLI Commands							 regex(1F)

NAME
regex - match patterns against a string SYNOPSIS
regex [-e] [ -v "string"] [ pattern template] ... pattern [template] DESCRIPTION
The regex command takes a string from the standard input, and a list of pattern / template pairs, and runs regex() to compare the string against each pattern until there is a match. When a match occurs, regex writes the corresponding template to the standard output and returns TRUE. The last (or only) pattern does not need a template. If that is the pattern that matches the string, the function simply returns TRUE. If no match is found, regex returns FALSE. The argument pattern is a regular expression of the form described in regex(). In most cases, pattern should be enclosed in single quotes to turn off special meanings of characters. Note that only the final pattern in the list may lack a template. The argument template may contain the strings $m0 through $m9, which will be expanded to the part of pattern enclosed in ( ... )$0 through ( ... )$9 constructs (see examples below). Note that if you use this feature, you must be sure to enclose template in single quotes so that FMLI does not expand $m0 through $m9 at parse time. This feature gives regex much of the power of cut(1), paste(1), and grep(1), and some of the capabilities of sed(1). If there is no template, the default is $m0$m1$m2$m3$m4$m5$m6$m7$m8$m9. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -e Evaluates the corresponding template and writes the result to the standard output. -v "string" Uses string instead of the standard input to match against patterns. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Cutting letters out of a string To cut the 4th through 8th letters out of a string (this example will output strin and return TRUE): `regex -v "my string is nice" '^.{3}(.{5})$0' '$m0'` Example 2: Validating input in a form In a form, to validate input to field 5 as an integer: valid=`regex -v "$F5" '^[0-9]+$'` Example 3: Translating an environment variable in a form In a form, to translate an environment variable which contains one of the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 to the letters a, b, c, d, e: value=`regex -v "$VAR1" 1 a 2 b 3 c 4 d 5 e '.*' 'Error'` Note the use of the pattern '.*' to mean "anything else". Example 4: Using backquoted expressions In the example below, all three lines constitute a single backquoted expression. This expression, by itself, could be put in a menu defini- tion file. Since backquoted expressions are expanded as they are parsed, and output from a backquoted expression (the cat command, in this example) becomes part of the definition file being parsed, this expression would read /etc/passwd and make a dynamic menu of all the login ids on the system. `cat /etc/passwd | regex '^([^:]*)$0.*$' ' name=$m0 action=`message "$m0 is a user"`'` DIAGNOSTICS
If none of the patterns match, regex returns FALSE, otherwise TRUE. NOTES
Patterns and templates must often be enclosed in single quotes to turn off the special meanings of characters. Especially if you use the $m0 through $m9 variables in the template, since FMLI will expand the variables (usually to "") before regex even sees them. Single characters in character classes (inside []) must be listed before character ranges, otherwise they will not be recognized. For exam- ple, [a-zA-Z_/] will not find underscores (_) or slashes (/), but [_/a-zA-Z] will. The regular expressions accepted by regcmp differ slightly from other utilities (that is, sed, grep, awk, ed, and so forth). regex with the -e option forces subsequent commands to be ignored. In other words, if a backquoted statement appears as follows: `regex -e ...; command1; command2` command1 and command2 would never be executed. However, dividing the expression into two: `regex -e ...``command1; command2` would yield the desired result. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
awk(1), cut(1), grep(1), paste(1), sed(1), regcmp(3C), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 12 Jul 1999 regex(1F)