Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: replacing all occurances
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers replacing all occurances Post 302311069 by JamieMurry on Monday 27th of April 2009 09:39:40 PM
Old 04-27-2009
replacing all occurances

How would i replace all occurreneces of Tim(ignoring the case) with Timithoy in the file "file1" and then save it to "newfile"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Counting Occurances in Two Files

I have two files I want to compare, one is a list of variables and the other is a text file COBOL program. Basically what I want to do is display only those variables that appear in the COBOL program only once. However I would also accept a count of each variable as it appears in the COBOL... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Keith Gergel
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Count occurances in a file

Hi, I have a fixed width file in the following format Sr.No A.No Name 1 2 PPP 3 4 PPP 5 6 TTT 7 8 OOO 9 10 OOO 11 12 OOO The 3rd column starts at position 10 and ends at 15. I want to count the number of occurances of each Name and output to a file Example in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samit_9999
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

occurances

Hi, Anyone know how to do the following? :eek: I Have a file as follows: happygoluckypeoplearenotalwayshappy happyisawordthatisnotusedalot If the word "happy" is present MORE than once in EACH line, I want to delete the line, hence in the above case, the first line will be deleted. ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr_sabz
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count occurances of X Y Z in a file in 1 go.

Hi. I need to count multiple occurrences of X Y Z in a file in 1 go. At the moment I have the following scripts: ssh readonly@$ServerIP 'YEAR=xx;DAY=xx;MONTH=xx;LMONTH=xx;for i in 00 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 15 \ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23; do cat... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: msullivan
13 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing occurances starting with [

I have this line in a file gtgti1/gtgticcrunit1/gtgti_ccrunit_10n/port_arbiter1/port7 = gtgti1/gtgticcrunit1/gtgti_ccrunit_10n/port_arbiter1/port7; gtgti1/gtgticcrunit1/gtgti_ccrunit_10n/port_arbiter1/np_ing0_head = gtgti1/gtgticcrunit1/gtgti_ccrunit_10n/port_arbiter1/np_ing0_head; I want... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: pitagi
11 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

changing all occurances

how wouldi change all occurances of that to they regardless of the number of times it appears on a line? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: trob
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counts based on occurances

Hi, I have a file with 2500 entries. There are many duplicates,triplicates symbols in my file in the first column and the second column has categories(high/medium/low) . I want to have count for the occurances of each category for each unique symbol ABC high ABC high ABC medium ABC ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Diya123
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get number of occurances in a file

I want to get the count of occurance of a user in a file. abc abc bcd bcd bcd xyz The result should be like abc 2 bcd 3 xyz 1 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sanjeev Yadav
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

occurances

Hi, I have 2 files File 1 ABC XYZ MNO WER FDS CFG File 2 ABC_123456_234567 ABC_123456_234567 ABC_123456_234567 ABC_123456_234567 ABC_123456_234567 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Diya123
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count the occurances of numbers

I have a file as shown below. I need to count the unique occurrences of numbers in the first and second column only if the third column is <= 10. Otherwise print the corresponding numbers as zero. Thanks in advance!:) 58 80 40.74 76 80 9.78 76 80 8 12 6 9 30 28 8.23 45 12 ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: andreaalex
13 Replies
REPLACE(1)						       MySQL Database System							REPLACE(1)

NAME
       replace - a string-replacement utility

SYNOPSIS
       replace arguments

DESCRIPTION
       The replace utility program changes strings in place in files or on the standard input.

Note
	   The replace utility is deprecated as of MySQL 5.7.18 and is removed in MySQL 8.0.

Invoke replace in one of the following ways:

shell> replace from to [from to] ... -- file_name [file_name] ...
	   shell> replace from to [from to] ... < file_name

from represents a string to look for and to represents its replacement. There can be one or more pairs of strings.

Use the -- option to indicate where the string-replacement list ends and the file names begin. In this case, any file named on the command
       line is modified in place, so you may want to make a copy of the original before converting it.	replace prints a message indicating which
       of the input files it actually modifies.

If the -- option is not given, replace reads the standard input and writes to the standard output.

replace uses a finite state machine to match longer strings first. It can be used to swap strings. For example, the following command swaps
       a and b in the given files, file1 and file2:

shell> replace a b b a -- file1 file2 ...

replace supports the following options.

o   -?, -I

Display a help message and exit.

o   -#debug_options

Enable debugging.

o   -s

Silent mode. Print less information what the program does.

o   -v

Verbose mode. Print more information about what the program does.

o   -V

Display version information and exit.

COPYRIGHT
       Copyright (C) 1997, 2018, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.

This documentation is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it only under the terms of the GNU General Public License as
       published by the Free Software Foundation; version 2 of the License.

This documentation is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
       MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details.

You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with the program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation,
       Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA or see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/.

SEE ALSO
       For more information, please refer to the MySQL Reference Manual, which may already be installed locally and which is also available online
       at http://dev.mysql.com/doc/.

AUTHOR
       Oracle Corporation (http://dev.mysql.com/).

MySQL 5.7							    06/07/2018								REPLACE(1)