Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory Understanding sfdisk and df results Post 302305421 by septima.pars on Wednesday 8th of April 2009 11:20:19 PM
Old 04-09-2009
Preliminarily I am thinking it has to do with "rounding off" of file sizes according to different schemes:

take a look at the fstab man page as it has options for

fstab -b = sectorsize of disk

fstab -C = cyls

fstab -H = heads

fstab -S = sectors per track of the disk (used for partition tables)

I think this is what you are asking.............?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sfdisk for automated partitioning?

Hi guys, I want to write a script to automate partitioning for some project that I'm working on. I tried using fdisk but it was too painful... so, turned to sfdisk but now I'm getting strange results...or at least I think so. What I want to do is, to get the disk size to be created from... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: alirezan
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Understanding cut

In our old code, we have the below statements LAST_FRIDAY=2009-01-16 echo $LAST_FRIDAY|cut -d '"' -f2 And the output of this is 2009-01-16 The delimiter provided in cut statement is not used in the variable. Also, when we give f1 or f3 or f10 or any other field instead of f2, we still... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishmaths
3 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Udev label removes corresponding fdisk, sfdisk or lsvdev entry

I'm curious about the behavior where any udev labeled device causes that corresponding listing to disappear from fdisk, sfdisk, or in the case of RDAC, lsvdev. I have seen this on both EMC clariion and Sun Storagetek/Engenio 6540 arrays. We use RHEL5.1 and udev to create persistent labels for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Radar
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help understanding mv

I just started shell coding and I'm a bit confused on how 'mv' works can someone explain to me how it works and if i did this correctly. Thanks. echo "Enter Name of the first file:" read file1 #echo $file1 if ; then echo "Sorry, file does not exist." exit 1 ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: taiL
16 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

understanding {%/*}/

Hi Gurus: I am trying to understand the following line of code.I did enough of googling to understand but no luck.Please help me understand the follow chunk of code: X=$0 MOD=${X%/*}/env.ksh X is the current script from which I am trying to execute. Say if X=test.ksh $MOD is echoing :... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vemana
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can ctag and cscope support recording search results and displaying the history results ?

Hello , When using vim, can ctag and cscope support recording search results and displaying the history results ? Once I jump to one tag, I can use :tnext to jump to next tag, but how can I display the preview search result? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: 915086731
0 Replies

7. Red Hat

Understanding Results from df and du commands

Good day every one. When a use df -h comand on my read hat linux server i get something like this: /dev/mapper/Vg02-Lv19 30G 29G 145M 100% /app Then when i do du -sh /app/ i get 12G /app/ For me it is meaning that only 12G was used on /app partition. How can i see where are... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgege
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need your help in understanding this

Hi, I found this in a script and I would like to know how this works Code is here: # var1=PART1_PART2 # var2=${var1##*_} # echo $var2 PART2 I'm wondering how ##* makes the Shell to understand to pick up the last value from the given. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sathyaonnuix
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

I want to add a variable for the results from the formula of one variable and results of another var

Good morning all, This is the file name in question OD_Orders_2019-02-19.csv I am trying to create a bash script to read into files with yesterdays date on the file name while retaining the rest of the files name. I would like for $y to equal, the name of the file with a formula output with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ibrahim A
2 Replies
QUOTAON(8)						      System Manager's Manual							QUOTAON(8)

NAME
quotaon, quotaoff - turn filesystem quotas on and off SYNOPSIS
quotaon [-v] filesystem ... quotaon [-v] -a quotaoff [-v] filesystem ... quotaoff [-v] -a DESCRIPTION
Quotaon announces to the system that disk quotas should be enabled on one or more filesystems. Quotaoff announces to the system that the specified filesystems should have any disk quotas diskquotas turned off. The filesystems specified must have entries in /etc/fstab and be mounted. Quotaon expects each filesystem to have a quota file named quotas located at the root of the associated file system. These defaults may be overridden in /etc/fstab. Available options: -a If the -a flag is supplied in place of any filesystem names, quotaon/quotaoff will enable/disable all the filesystems indi- cated in /etc/fstab to be read-write with disk quotas. -v Causes quotaon and quotaoff to print a message for each filesystem where quotas are turned on or off. FILES
quotas at the filesystem root with user quotas /etc/fstab filesystem table SEE ALSO
quota(1), setquota(2), fstab(5), edquota(8), quotacheck(8), repquota(8) HISTORY
The quotaon command appeared in 4.2BSD. 4.2 Berkeley Distribution January 21, 1996 QUOTAON(8)