Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris [Solaris 10]NIS works only from "su" Post 302304367 by Tex-Twil on Monday 6th of April 2009 09:18:48 AM
Old 04-06-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renjesh
Hi Tex

The password display issue in NIS can be resolved by creating a passwd.adjunct file in the NIS server.

You can get a lot of help on passwd.adjunct file from the net. I recently configured an NIS environment on my lab (of around 10 machines) and they are running pretty fine.

HG
ok. Do you also have a Linux server with Solaris clients ?

regards,
Tex

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

"kill -14 pid" doesn't works on all processes !!

If I try to run "kill -14 pid", some processes in my application get terminated , while some keeps running. If SIGALRM signal is sent, they should make an exit. What's the reason any process keeps on running. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: poojac
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

"ld.so.1" error using a cron job | works fine otherwise

Hi, A cron job CJ invokes a shell script SC. SC internally invokes multiple perl scripts. One of the perl scripts deals with Accurev (i am using Accurev CLI). The first accurev command encountered is accurev merge -i <<file_name>> (file name has absolute path) When I run the perl script or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: singh
1 Replies

3. Solaris

NIS master "ypwhich can't communicate with rpcbind"

Hello All, I just tried to create NIS master in my x86 vmware machine. I have followed the steps and created the necessary files and installed via ypinit command. Now the issue is after start the services when provide the ypwhich command showing following error. Please assist. bash-#svcs... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gowthamakanthan
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

script works well but displays " line 6: =: No such file or directory"

strange :) can you tell why?:cool: #!/bin/bash echo " enter your age " read age if ; then echo " you do not have to pay tax " elif ]; then echo " you are eligible for income tax " else echo " you dont have to pay tax " fi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: me.
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

1 SSH tunnel, 2 devices: 1 "just works," other gets challenged

summary: I have 2 devices on same LAN which tunnel through one gateway to a cluster, using ssh with public keys for password/passphrase-less login. I configured both devices, and those ssh configurations are nearly identical with regard to ssh. From either device I can shell into the cluster.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TomRoche
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

files having Script which works behind "who" & "w" commands

Dear All, plz print the path of files which have the script of "who" & "w" commands. thnx in advance. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: saqlain.bashir
6 Replies

8. Solaris

Printer configuration Migration from Solaris 10 "LP" to Solaris 11 "CUPS"

Need to find a way to import an LP printers.conf file to CUPS. I have some new Solaris 11.1 boxes that need to have 300 printers added. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: os2mac
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

"Mv" command does not work in loop, but works manually

Hi there, this may be a beginner's error, but I've been unable to find a solution on my own and by googling, and now I am really stuck on it. I am simply trying to move directories called for example CAT_Run01.ica to a directory with the corresponding number, Run01, in the same directory. For... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: andrevol
2 Replies
rpc.yppasswdd(1M)					  System Administration Commands					 rpc.yppasswdd(1M)

NAME
rpc.yppasswdd, yppasswdd - server for modifying NIS password file SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/netsvc/yp/rpc.yppasswdd [-D directory] [-nogecos] [-noshell] [-nopw] [-m argument1 argument2...] /usr/lib/netsvc/yp/rpc.yppasswdd [passwordfile [adjunctfile]] [-nogecos] [-noshell] [-nopw] [-m argument1 argument2...] DESCRIPTION
rpc.yppasswdd is a server that handles password change requests from yppasswd(1). It changes a password entry in the passwd, shadow, and security/passwd.adjunct files. The passwd and shadow files provide the basis for the passwd.byname and passwd.byuid maps. The passwd.adjunct file provides the basis for the passwd.adjunct.byname and passwd.adjunct.byuid maps. Entries in the passwd, shadow or passwd.adjunct files are changed only if the password presented by yppasswd(1) matches the encrypted password of the entry. All password files are located in the PWDIR directory. If the -D option is given, the passwd, shadow, or passwd.adjunct files are placed under the directory path that is the argument to -D. If the -noshell, -nogecos or -nopw options are given, these fields cannot be changed remotely using chfn, chsh, or passwd(1). If the -m option is given, a make(1S) is performed in /var/yp after any of the passwd, shadow, or passwd.adjunct files are modified. All arguments following the flag are passed to make. The second of the listed syntaxes is provided only for backward compatibility. If the second syntax is used, the passwordfile is the full pathname of the password file and adjunctfile is the full pathname of the optional passwd.adjunct file. If a shadow file is found in the same directory as passwordfile, the shadowfile is used as described above. Use of this syntax and the discovery of a shadowfile file gener- ates diagnostic output. The daemon, however, starts normally. The first and second syntaxes are mutually exclusive. You cannot specify the full pathname of the passwd, passwd.adjunct files and use the -D option at the same time. The daemon is started automatically on the master server of the passwd map by ypstart(1M), which is invoked at boot time by the svcs:/net- work/nis/server:default service. The server does not insist on the presence of a shadow file unless there is no -D option present or the directory named with the -D option is /etc. In addition, a passwd.adjunct file is not necessary. If the -D option is given, the server attempts to find a passwd.adjunct file in the security subdirectory of the named directory. For example, in the presence of -D /var/yp the server checks for a /var/yp/secu- rity/passwd.adjunct file. If only a passwd file exists, then the encrypted password is expected in the second field. If both a passwd and a passwd.adjunct file exist, the encrypted password is expected in the second field of the adjunct file with ##username in the second field of the passwd file. If all three files are in use, the encrypted password is expected in the shadow file. Any deviation causes a password update to fail. If you remove or add a shadow or passwd.adjunct file after rpc.yppasswdd has started, you must stop and restart the daemon to enable it to recognize the change. See ypstart(1m) for information on restarting the daemon. The rpc.yppasswdd daemon considers a shell that has a name that begins with 'r' to be a restricted shell. By default, the daemon does not check whether a shell begins with an 'r'. However, you can tell it to do so by uncommenting the check_restricted_shell_name=1 line in /etc/default/yppasswdd. The result will be to restrict a user's ability to change from his default shell. See yppasswdd(4). On start up, yppasswdd checks for the existence of a NIS to LDAP (N2L) configuration file, /var/yp/NISLDAPmapping. If the configuration file is present, the daemon runs in N2L mode. If the file is not present, yppasswdd runs in traditional, non-N2L mode. In N2L mode, changes are written directly to the Directory Information Tree (DIT). If the changes are written successfully, the NIS map is updated. The NIS source files, passwd, shadow, and passwd.adjunct, for example, are not updated. Thus, in N2L mode, the -D option is mean- ingless. In N2L mode, yppasswdd propagates changes by calling yppush(1M) instead of ypmake(1M). The -m option is thus unused. During an NIS-to-LDAP transition, the yppasswdd daemon uses the N2L-specific map, ageing.byname, to read and write password aging infor- mation to the DIT. If you are not using password aging, then the ageing.byname mapping is ignored. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWypu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
svcs(1), make(1S), passwd(1), yppasswd(1), inetd(1M), svcadm(1M), ypmake(1M), yppush(1M), ypstart(1M), NISLDAPmapping(4), passwd(4), shadow(4), ypfiles(4), yppasswdd(4), ypserv(4), attributes(5), smf(5) NOTES
If make has not been installed and the -m option is given, the daemon outputs a warning and proceeds, effectively ignoring the -m flag. When using the -D option, you should make sure that the PWDIR of the /var/yp/Makefile is set accordingly. The second listed syntax is supplied only for backward compatibility and might be removed in a future release of this daemon. The Network Information Service (NIS) was formerly known as Sun Yellow Pages (YP). The functionality of the two remains the same; only the name has changed. The name Yellow Pages is a registered trademark in the United Kingdom of British Telecommunications PLC, and cannot be used without permission. The NIS server service is managed by the service management facility, smf(5), under the service identifier: svcs:/network/nis/server:default Administrative actions on this service, such as enabling, disabling, or requesting restart, can be performed using svcadm(1M). The ser- vice's status can be queried using the svcs(1) command. SunOS 5.11 24 Aug 2004 rpc.yppasswdd(1M)