Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Isolate and Extract a Pattern Substring (Digits Only) Post 302299940 by Franklin52 on Sunday 22nd of March 2009 11:49:43 AM
Old 03-22-2009
Something like this should be suffice, it excludes every character not in the class of characters enclosed between the brackets:

Code:
sed 's/[^a-zA-Z0-9:-.]//g' file

Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pattern match on digits and then increment?

I have a log file that ends in a ".xxx" where xxx are digits but I don't necessarily know what digits they are. The log file rotates automatically and is auto-incrementing - starting at .001. So the example would be: file-name.005 If the file ends in .005 and the log rotates, it logically... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdutto01
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract digits at end of string

I have a string like xxxxxx44. What's the best way to extract the digits (one or more) in a ksh script? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: offirc
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help... to extract the substring

> tnsping $TWO_TASK | grep HOST Attempting to contact (DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 10.12.10.212)(PORT = 1540)) (CONNECT_DATA = (SERVER = DEDICATED) (SERVICE_NAME = OMTST15))) I want to extract like this HOST = 10.12.10.212 PORT = 1540 SERVICE_NAME = OMTST15 I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dashok.83
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract a substring.

I have a shell script that uses wget to grab a bunch of html from a url. URL_DATA=`wget -qO - "$URL1"` I now have a string $URL_DATA that I need to pull a substring out of..say I had the following in my string <p><a href="/scooby/929011567.html">Dog pictures check them out! -</a><font... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shellpower
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed to isolate file paths separated by a pattern

Hi, I've been searching for a quick way to do this with sed, but to no avail. I have a file containing a long series of (windows) file paths that are separated by the pattern '@'. I would like to extract each file path so that I can later assign a variable to each path. Here is the file:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixjennings
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract digits from a string in unix

Hi all, i have such string stored in a variable var1 = 00000120 i want the o/p var1 = 120 is it possible to have such o/p in ksh/bash ... thanx in advance for the help sonu (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sonu_pal
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Regex pattern for multiple digits

Hello, I need to construct a pattern to match the below string (especially the timestamp at the beginning) 20101222100436_temp.dat The below pattern works _temp.dat However I am trying find if there are any other better representations. I tried {14}, but it did not work. I am on... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishmaths
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk extract certain digits from file with index substr

I would like to extract a digit from $0 starting 2,30 to 3,99 or 2.30 to 3.99 Can somebody fix this? awk --re-interval '{if($0 ~ /{1}{2}/) {print FILENAME, substr($0,index($0,/{1}{2}/) , 4)}}'input abcdefg sdlfkj 3,29 g. lasdfj alsdfjasl 2.86 gr. slkjds sldkd lskdjfsl sdfkj kdjlksj 3,34 g... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdf
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract n-digits from string in perl

Hello, I have a log file with logs such as 01/05/2017 10:23:41 : file.log.38: database error, MODE=SINGLE, LEVEL=critical, STATE: 01170255 (mode main how can i use perl to extract the 8-digit number below from the string 01170255 Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: james2009
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I extract digits at the end of a string in UNIX shell scripting?

How can I extract digits at the end of a string in UNIX shell scripting or perl? cat file.txt abc_d123_4567.txt A246_B789.txt B123cc099.txt a123_B234-012.txt a13.txt What can I do here? Many thanks. cat file.txt | sed "s/.txt$//" | ........ 4567 789 099 012 13 (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mingch
11 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep, egrep, fgrep - search a file for a pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [ option ] ... expression [ file ] ... egrep [ option ] ... [ expression ] [ file ] ... fgrep [ option ] ... [ strings ] [ file ] DESCRIPTION
Commands of the grep family search the input files (standard input default) for lines matching a pattern. Normally, each line found is copied to the standard output. Grep patterns are limited regular expressions in the style of ex(1); it uses a compact nondeterministic algorithm. Egrep patterns are full regular expressions; it uses a fast deterministic algorithm that sometimes needs exponential space. Fgrep patterns are fixed strings; it is fast and compact. The following options are recognized. -v All lines but those matching are printed. -x (Exact) only lines matched in their entirety are printed (fgrep only). -c Only a count of matching lines is printed. -l The names of files with matching lines are listed (once) separated by newlines. -n Each line is preceded by its relative line number in the file. -b Each line is preceded by the block number on which it was found. This is sometimes useful in locating disk block numbers by con- text. -i The case of letters is ignored in making comparisons -- that is, upper and lower case are considered identical. This applies to grep and fgrep only. -s Silent mode. Nothing is printed (except error messages). This is useful for checking the error status. -w The expression is searched for as a word (as if surrounded by `<' and `>', see ex(1).) (grep only) -e expression Same as a simple expression argument, but useful when the expression begins with a -. -f file The regular expression (egrep) or string list (fgrep) is taken from the file. In all cases the file name is shown if there is more than one input file. Care should be taken when using the characters $ * [ ^ | ( ) and in the expression as they are also meaningful to the Shell. It is safest to enclose the entire expression argument in single quotes ' '. Fgrep searches for lines that contain one of the (newline-separated) strings. Egrep accepts extended regular expressions. In the following description `character' excludes newline: A followed by a single character other than newline matches that character. The character ^ matches the beginning of a line. The character $ matches the end of a line. A . (period) matches any character. A single character not otherwise endowed with special meaning matches that character. A string enclosed in brackets [] matches any single character from the string. Ranges of ASCII character codes may be abbreviated as in `a-z0-9'. A ] may occur only as the first character of the string. A literal - must be placed where it can't be mistaken as a range indicator. A regular expression followed by an * (asterisk) matches a sequence of 0 or more matches of the regular expression. A regular expression followed by a + (plus) matches a sequence of 1 or more matches of the regular expression. A regular expression followed by a ? (question mark) matches a sequence of 0 or 1 matches of the regular expression. Two regular expressions concatenated match a match of the first followed by a match of the second. Two regular expressions separated by | or newline match either a match for the first or a match for the second. A regular expression enclosed in parentheses matches a match for the regular expression. The order of precedence of operators at the same parenthesis level is [] then *+? then concatenation then | and newline. Ideally there should be only one grep, but we don't know a single algorithm that spans a wide enough range of space-time tradeoffs. SEE ALSO
ex(1), sed(1), sh(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is 0 if any matches are found, 1 if none, 2 for syntax errors or inaccessible files. BUGS
Lines are limited to 256 characters; longer lines are truncated. 4th Berkeley Distribution April 29, 1985 GREP(1)