Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: calling UNIX commands C/C++
Top Forums Programming calling UNIX commands C/C++ Post 302296378 by Asteroid on Wednesday 11th of March 2009 04:14:16 AM
Old 03-11-2009
calling UNIX commands C/C++

hi Guys,

I am planning to write a program which can be able to execute scripts/commands which needs a user to be root.

Note: we are not interested to use sudoers option.

.e.g. The requirement can be explaind as:

Quote:
/opt/VRTS/bin/hastatus -sum
A normal UNIX system user cannot execute above command(veritas cluster summary command) root previleages are required for its executions. so facilitating normal users (who donot know root passwords) to execute above command we can adopt a program. The program knows root password and should internally execute the above command.
A sample program could be like below. I need to know how and where to provide root password.

Any suggestions.

Code:
#include"stdlib.h"
void main()
{

string root_passwd= "mypassword123";
system("/opt/VRTS/bin/hastatus -sum");

}

Thanks and Regards
@ asteroid

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

calling UNIX script from C/C++

Hi all, Is it possible to call a UNIX script from C/C++ program? If yes, can you please tell me how? Thank you in advance Regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: omran
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

calling Oracle procedure from Unix

Does anyone know how to call an Oracle stored procedure from a Unix script? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ssmiths001
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl calling unix system commands

if ( system ("/bin/cat $File1 >> $File2") ) { print("#WARNING RAISED : /bin/cat File1 >> File2 - FAILURE!\n"); } I came across this code, would appreciate if someone can tell me if my understanding is correct? the perl code tell the system to cat file 1 into file 2, if command fails, print... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2ss
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling GDB commands from Shell

Hi, I have just started off with the shell programming. I need to execute a GDB command from a shell script. I have been trying to get this working from quite sometime but not getting it quite right.I have this specific requirement that i read byte data from a file and write that data to the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jsantosh
0 Replies

5. Programming

Calling procedure through Unix Shell

Hi can anyone help me in how to 1) invoke batch profile to run sqlplus on XXXXX server. 2) execute truncate table xtra.xtra_card_email_request using procedure dbadmin.truncate_table . 3) Check the count before and after the job run. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jakred
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Oracle (11gr2) calling unix commands (aix)

I have an Oracle database running on AIX, and I have a procedure that is calling OS commands from an oracle (and it's not working anymore)... so, there was an Java stored proc in Oracle CREATE OR REPLACE AND RESOLVE JAVA SOURCE NAMED COMMON."Host" as import java.io.*; public class Host {... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bongo
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

calling perl commands in shell

i have four commands 1. perl -MCPAN -e shell 2. o conf prerequisites_policy follow 3. o conf commit 4. exit I am attempting to streamline a bunch of yum commands and cpan installations and want to remove the confirmation portion of the cpan these four commands will do just that. my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: murphybr
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Calling commands with ksh

Hi, I am not able to run below command on linux, it however works on solaris. If anyone knows the reason and a solution for it can you please let me know ? Linux ----- $> ksh 'echo hi' ksh: echo hi: No such file or directory $> which ksh /usr/bin/ksh Solaris ------ $> ksh 'echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnaux
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Shell Scripting( Calling from Unix to PLSQL)

Hello Experts, I have the following questions to be discussed here at this esteemed discussion forum. I have two Excel sheets which contain Unix Commands llike creating directory the structure/ftp/Copy/Zip etc to basically create an environment. I need help in understanding some of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: faizsaadq
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Calling Macros in UNIX command

Hi .. I have created a sql macro, i want to execute this through ksh in putty.ie) sql.ksh will contain the macro query ,once i call this ksh ,the macro should trigger. I am able to write a macro : for ex: create macro macro_name (sel * from db_tablename) execute macro_name. Could... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Kalaiselvi66
1 Replies
d_passwd(4)							   File Formats 						       d_passwd(4)

NAME
d_passwd - dial-up password file SYNOPSIS
/etc/d_passwd DESCRIPTION
A dial-up password is an additional password required of users who access the computer through a modem or dial-up port. The correct pass- word must be entered before the user is granted access to the computer. d_passwd is an ASCII file which contains a list of executable programs (typically shells) that require a dial-up password and the associ- ated encrypted passwords. When a user attempts to log in on any of the ports listed in the dialups file (see dialups(4)), the login program looks at the user's login entry stored in the passwd file (see passwd(4)), and compares the login shell field to the entries in d_passwd. These entries determine whether the user will be required to supply a dial-up password. Each entry in d_passwd is a single line of the form: login-shell:password: where login-shell The name of the login program that will require an additional dial-up password. password An encrypted password. Users accessing the computer through a dial-up port or modem using login-shell will be required to enter this password before gaining access to the computer. d_passwd should be owned by the root user and the root group. The file should have read and write permissions for the owner (root) only. If the user's login program in the passwd file is not found in d_passwd or if the login shell field in passwd is empty, the user must sup- ply the default password. The default password is the entry for /usr/bin/sh. If d_passwd has no entry for /usr/bin/sh, then those users whose login shell field in passwd is empty or does not match any entry in d_passwd will not be prompted for a dial-up password. Dial-up logins are disabled if d_passwd has only the following entry: /usr/bin/sh:*: EXAMPLES
Example 1 Sample d_passwd file. Here is a sample d_passwd file: /usr/lib/uucp/uucico:q.mJzTnu8icF0: /usr/bin/csh:6k/7KCFRPNVXg: /usr/bin/ksh:9df/FDf.4jkRt: /usr/bin/sh:41FuGVzGcDJlw: Generating An Encrypted Password The passwd (see passwd(1)) utility can be used to generate the encrypted password for each login program. passwd generates encrypted pass- words for users and places the password in the shadow (see shadow(4)) file. Passwords for the d_passwd file will need to be generated by first adding a temporary user id using useradd (see useradd(1M)), and then using passwd(1) to generate the desired password in the shadow file. Once the encrypted version of the password has been created, it can be copied to the d_passwd file. For example: 1. Type useradd tempuser and press Return. This creates a user named tempuser. 2. Type passwd tempuser and press Return. This creates an encrypted password for tempuser and places it in the shadow file. 3. Find the entry for tempuser in the shadow file and copy the encrypted password to the desired entry in the d_passwd file. 4. Type userdel tempuser and press Return to delete tempuser. These steps must be executed as the root user. FILES
/etc/d_passwd dial-up password file /etc/dialups list of dial-up ports requiring dial-up passwords /etc/passwd password file /etc/shadow shadow password file SEE ALSO
passwd(1), useradd(1M), dialups(4), passwd(4), shadow(4) WARNINGS
When creating a new dial-up password, be sure to remain logged in on at least one terminal while testing the new password. This ensures that there is an available terminal from which you can correct any mistakes that were made when the new password was added. SunOS 5.11 2 Sep 2004 d_passwd(4)