Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX 3004-505 Cannot set process environment Post 302289560 by kapilraj on Friday 20th of February 2009 12:36:33 AM
Old 02-20-2009
probably the shell for the user i.e. the last column with delimiter : in the /etc/passwd file is wrong. Probably you moved a user from hpux but cut+paste method and caried over /sbin/sh .. It does not exist in AIX

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

set environment variable?

Installed a program, need to set the system up so that when the executable is entered, it finds the path to the executable. In Windows, set under system properties, advanced, environmental variables. How do I do this with Unix? Specifically using Solaris 9. I have tried: env... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kohoutek
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to set the oracle environment????

Hi, I am trying to set the environment for my oracle database. I have 5 database in an unix box. My idea is to create 5 files for each database with the following script on it. After logging into the unix box ...just by typing the database name....the enviornment for the database... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: castlerock
2 Replies

3. Linux

How do i set environment variable

Hi, I am quite new to Linux. And I have doubt how to set new environment variable with value to a C executable. Let say I have a environment variable $Hack ; I would like to load a value for this variable; so that when the C executable is executed, the $Hack would set the variable value. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahjiefreak
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How does the environment stay set

I am running this pre-script with a post scripts that needs to share the same variables. How do I keep the environment variable settings for the next script to access from the RMAN Script? Prescript #1 #RMAN Script #!/bin/ksh ORACLE_SID=INVPRD;export ORACLE_SID... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gzs553
1 Replies

5. Solaris

set environment variable?

I am working with solaris 9 sunBlade150 Box. I Installed a program, need to set the environment variable so that when the executable is entered,it finds the path to the executable. The documentation for the software says: Set the appropriate environment variable: Connect to server failed;... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: smartgupta
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ORACLE_HOME environment variable not set!

hi, i am new to perl: os : Linux i wrote simple perl script to select from table i am getting this error and how to set ORACLE_HOME environment variable : script: #!usr/bin/perl use DBI; use Mail::Sendmail; #use Date::Calc; use MIME::QuotedPrint; use HTML::Entities; use POSIX... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prakash.gr
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Set environment

Hi, I can run shell script from the command line using $ . set If the run the script inside perl script using $var = system("set"); print $var; This prints 0. This command sets up the environment from command line. But when used inside the shell script or perl script it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandy1028
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Set Environment variable from another file

Hi, i have the following env variable. currently i am exporting variable in the same script file. but i need this is in a text file and the scripts need to export this variable from the text file. can you please suggest me. is it possible. export... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsivasan
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to SET Environment variables

Hi Could you please tell me how to set environment variables in Unix ksh. And how can acess those varibles in shell scripts ( Please give the code with an example) For my scenario. We have written number of shell scripts with hard coded username and password. But if we want to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shyamu544
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Trying to figure out how the environment variables are being set

I just started a new job and I've been tasked with cleaning up the files that set up all the environment variables. The system works as is. What happens is: 1. You log in to the server. 2. You call a file that sets a bunch of environment variables and that displays a list of all the databases... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Keyeh
4 Replies
cut(1)								   User Commands							    cut(1)

NAME
cut - cut out selected fields of each line of a file SYNOPSIS
cut -b list [-n] [file]... cut -c list [file]... cut -f list [-d delim] [-s] [file]... DESCRIPTION
Use the cut utility to cut out columns from a table or fields from each line of a file; in data base parlance, it implements the projection of a relation. The fields as specified by list can be fixed length, that is, character positions as on a punched card (-c option) or the length can vary from line to line and be marked with a field delimiter character like TAB (-f option). cut can be used as a filter. Either the -b, -c, or -f option must be specified. Use grep(1) to make horizontal ``cuts'' (by context) through a file, or paste(1) to put files together column-wise (that is, horizontally). To reorder columns in a table, use cut and paste. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: list A comma-separated or blank-character-separated list of integer field numbers (in increasing order), with optional - to indi- cate ranges (for instance, 1,4,7; 1-3,8; -5,10 (short for 1-5,10); or 3- (short for third through last field)). -b list The list following -b specifies byte positions (for instance, -b1-72 would pass the first 72 bytes of each line). When -b and -n are used together, list is adjusted so that no multi-byte character is split. -c list The list following -c specifies character positions (for instance, -c1-72 would pass the first 72 characters of each line). -d delim The character following -d is the field delimiter (-f option only). Default is tab. Space or other characters with special meaning to the shell must be quoted. delim can be a multi-byte character. -f list The list following -f is a list of fields assumed to be separated in the file by a delimiter character (see -d ); for instance, -f1,7 copies the first and seventh field only. Lines with no field delimiters will be passed through intact (useful for table subheadings), unless -s is specified. -n Do not split characters. When -b list and -n are used together, list is adjusted so that no multi-byte character is split. -s Suppresses lines with no delimiter characters in case of -f option. Unless specified, lines with no delimiters will be passed through untouched. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file A path name of an input file. If no file operands are specified, or if a file operand is -, the standard input will be used. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of cut when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte (2^31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1 Mapping user IDs A mapping of user IDs to names follows: example% cut -d: -f1,5 /etc/passwd Example 2 Setting current login name To set name to current login name: example$ name=`who am i | cut -f1 -d' '` ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of cut: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 All input files were output successfully. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
grep(1), paste(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) DIAGNOSTICS
cut: -n may only be used with -b cut: -d may only be used with -f cut: -s may only be used with -f cut: cannot open <file> Either file cannot be read or does not exist. If multiple files are present, processing continues. cut: no delimiter specified Missing delim on -d option. cut: invalid delimiter cut: no list specified Missing list on -b, -c, or -f option. cut: invalid range specifier cut: too many ranges specified cut: range must be increasing cut: invalid character in range cut: internal error processing input cut: invalid multibyte character cut: unable to allocate enough memory SunOS 5.11 29 Apr 1999 cut(1)