Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: echo command and piping
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers echo command and piping Post 302288100 by vgersh99 on Monday 16th of February 2009 01:35:32 PM
Old 02-16-2009
something to start not differentiating between files and directories AND assuming that files/directory names don't have embedded spaces in their names:
Code:
echo * |wc -w

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

piping with javac command

how to i use javac on a file after searching for it? example: find . -name '*.java' -size -24 -links -2 -atime -4 what would happen if "find" found >1 .java files? also, i'm a little confused on the -size property... mix up between -2 and +2... what's the difference? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: quipy
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

piping the output of find command to grep

Hi, I did not understand why the following did not work out as I expected: find . -name "pqp.txt" | grep -v "Permission" I thought I would be able to catch whichever paths containing my pqp.txt file without receiving the display of messages such as "find: cannot access... Permisson... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 435 Gavea
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

piping output to echo

Hi, I was wondering why ls * | echo does not print the contents of the directory to the screen? The way I see it, ls * returns a whole lot of information, and then we pipe all this info to echo, so surely it should all come to our screen! Is there a serious flaw in my understanding? ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: A1977
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

use of xargs and prune piping with find command.

Can anyone interpret and tell me the way the below command works? find * -name "*${msgType}" -mtime +${archiveDays} -prune -type f -print 2>/dev/null | xargs rm -f 2> /dev/null Please tell me the usage of prune and xargs in the above command? Looking forward your reply. Thanks in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: venkatesht
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH script: piping passes command-line arguments

Dear forum I have the following small script: #!/bin/ksh echo -e "abba-o" | awk -F '-' '{ print $2 }' | cut -b 1It needs to be ksh.. in bash I don't have this problem. If I run this on opensuse 10.2 I get this as output: e If I run this on suse enterprise 10 sp2 then I get this: o ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gemtry
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem piping input to script with echo

I am trying to have a script run without interaction from the command line. So in my script i have a line like this echo -e "\n\n\ny\ny\n" | ./script the goal being the ability to mimic 3 Enter presses and 2 'y/n' responses with 'y' followed by enter. For some reason tho, it is not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mcdef
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Piping output from a command into bash script

Hi all. I am using procmail to deliver an email to a script I am developing. Procmail delivers the email to the script on standard input. I imagine this is the same as piping input from a command into the script. Hence I've been testing my script by running echo 'test' | sms-autosend-backup.sh ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: akindo
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

piping to 'open' command!

Hello! One command generates a file path, which I then want to open in finder. The slow way is this with C&P: $bundle show jquery-validator /Users/peter/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p136/gems/jquery-validator-0.3.0 $open /Users/peter/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p136/gems/jquery-validator-0.3.0 I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pehrlich
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Syntax error piping to bc on command line - works when assigned to var

I have a script which outputs some timing data a line at a time. There are approx. 10 lines echoed, each line looks something like this: 0.741 http://checkip.dyndns.org 94.170.119.226Since I needed to add all the values in the first column, I piped the output to grep, matching and printing the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gencon
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Abnormality while piping tr command output to sed

i have a file seperated each line seperated by newline. For example alpha beta gamma i am trying to replace the newlines to "," but dont want , present at the end of the line so i am trying the below one liner . but not sure whats wrong but its not working cat myfile | tr -s '\n' ',' | sed... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
9 Replies
echo(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						  echo(1B)

NAME
echo - echo arguments to standard output SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/echo [-n] [argument] DESCRIPTION
echo writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files and for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of envi- ronment variables. For example, you can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o echo your current-working-directory's full pathname o pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters o pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo "echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w" See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. The shells csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1), each have an echo built-in command, which, by default, will have precedence, and will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. /usr/ucb/echo and csh's echo() have an -n option, but do not understand back-slashed escape characters. sh's echo(), ksh's echo(), and /usr/bin/echo, on the other hand, understand the black-slashed escape characters, and ksh's echo() also understands a as the audible bell character; however, these commands do not have an -n option. OPTIONS
-n Do not add the NEWLINE to the output. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), echo(1), ksh(1), sh(1), tr(1), wc(1), attributes(5) NOTES
The -n option is a transition aid for BSD applications, and may not be supported in future releases. SunOS 5.11 3 Aug 1994 echo(1B)