Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Reg. /etc/passwd file
Operating Systems Solaris Reg. /etc/passwd file Post 302287563 by sureshlee_83 on Saturday 14th of February 2009 08:52:41 AM
Old 02-14-2009
I would go as Frank Rizzo said. it is better to mount media with default mount point provided /a, then edit the passwd file...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

reg file sharing across partitons

Hi frnds, i Need to know How a data from one partition can be moved to another partition...is there any command available.....Plz help me .... ------ deep (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deep
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

help in /etc/passwd file

Hi all, As all of us know that in /etc/passwd file the first field correspond to username could any one tell me what is bin , damoen etc in the first field, and r they in user field , what is nologin in the last column ? root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: useless79
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reg:how to search a file recursivly

Hi Guys, can any help to write a script to search for a file Recursively and i need to write a path of the file into some other file. May be upto 5 directories. Regards, Rajanikanth. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajanikanth
3 Replies

4. Linux

reg-linked file

How to check this linked path, and the folder what is contains.. as i am new to linux, pls assist me lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Jun 24 2008 mail -> spool/mail/ Thanks in advance, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kurva
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reg file modified time

Hi, I have modified one file today. So if i give `ls -lrt filename` command it will show the current modified time. But i wanted to know what is the previous modified time for this file Is there any way to find this Thanks, Puni (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: puni
3 Replies

6. Solaris

passwd cmd reenables passwd aging in shadow entry

Hi Folks, I have Solaris 10, latest release. We have passwd aging set in /etc/defalut/passwd. I have an account that passwd should never expire. Acheived by emptying associated users shadow file entries for passwd aging. When I reset the users passwd using passwd command, it re enables... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

reg problem deleting file

hi, 1. When i am deleting file in the linux machine i am getting below error message. rm text.fil rm: remove regular file `text.fil'? y rm: cannot remove `text.fil': Read-only file system From su also i tried i am getting same error message. 2. Some times the file permissions and user name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: coconut.ramu
1 Replies

8. AIX

When did AIX start using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords?

Does anyone know when AIX started using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anne Neville
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reg - Working on a CSV File in a script

Dear All, I have 2 CSV files and want to create a new CSV based on a common value in both of the CSV file. ColumnA ColumnB ColumnC Client 1 XXXXX Server A Client 2 XXXXX Server B Client 3 XXXXX Server C 2nd CSV file ColumnA CloumnB Server A value... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: rrb2009
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reg scanning time based log file

Hi, I have a requirement to scan Oracle's alert log file. This file logs all event for Oracle database and each line will have timestamp followed by messages (which might be one or more lines). Example. Thu Aug 15 17:35:59 2013 VKTM detected a time drift. Please check trace file for more... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manickaraja
1 Replies
RPC.YPPASSWDD(8)					    BSD System Manager's Manual 					  RPC.YPPASSWDD(8)

NAME
rpc.yppasswdd -- NIS update password file daemon SYNOPSIS
rpc.yppasswdd [-d directory] [-noshell] [-nogecos] [-nopw] [-m arg1 [arg2 ...]] DESCRIPTION
rpc.yppasswdd must be running on the NIS master server to allow users to change information in the password file. The options are as follows: -d directory Change the root directory of the password file from ``/'' to directory. It is important to create the binary database files (pwd.db and spwd.db) when using this switch or the password change will fail. The databases need to be created only once with the following command: pwd_mkdb -d directory directory/etc/master.passwd -noshell Don't allow changes of the shell field in the passwd file. -nogecos Don't allow changes of the gecos field in the passwd file. -nopw Don't allow changes of the password in the passwd file. -m arg1 [arg2 ...] Additional arguments to pass to make in /var/yp. FILES
/etc/passwd /etc/master.passwd SEE ALSO
chpass(1), passwd(1), hosts_access(5), nis(8), ypbind(8), ypserv(8) AUTHORS
Mats O Jansson <moj@stacken.kth.se> BSD
February 26, 2005 BSD