Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: A complete New Bie Here
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers A complete New Bie Here Post 302280893 by supercops on Tuesday 27th of January 2009 06:51:51 PM
Old 01-27-2009
A complete New Bie Here

Hello Guys

I am a complete New bie in UNIX ( Just know a few of the commands ). Please guide how should I learn Unix In a proper way . I am doing a job, so i will have to do the study at home . Which books , Links, Pages you will suggest me so that i can learn UNIX fast .

Thanks

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

complete newbie

ok so i am trying redhat linux and i create a partiton and install it no worries then i start and i cant access any of my other drives i can mount cd roms and floppies so i am logged in as root what i want to do is mount the following drives drive 1 ide partition 2 drive 2 to 5 seen... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: davidjk
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Auto Complete

Hi ! Can anybody please give me any clue how to set on the Auto Complete option (auto complete paths by pressing escape) in unix ? Thanks! Pablo. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cordobapablo
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

new bie questions

Hi all, I am a new bie and learning linux step by step. I am googling a lot but still unabel to find few things like below: 1. how to clean ipcs if I reboot the system it is cleaned but can I do that with out rebooting the system 2. I don't have any in side the folder /usr/src and one of my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gauri
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

few new bie questions related to gdb , telnet

Hi All, 1. how to what is the current line we are executing. List command will display the 10 lines by default. 2. how to put a pointer to the current excuting line when executing the list. 2. if i have set one break point and i want to set 2nd break point do i need to delete the first break... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gauri
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please complete this program.

Hi All, I need some help to complete the below script, after executing below script blank lines are coming, but i am expecting 4 digit numeric no. Please solve the issue ASAP. function portno { while (true) do random=`echo $RANDOM | cut -c 1-4` port=`netstat -a | grep -c $random` ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sridhusha
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

BASH complete-filename & menu-complete together

Hi, Does anyone know how to make BASH provide a list of possible completions on the first tab, and then start cycling through the possibilites on the next tab? Right now this is what I have in my .bashrc: bind "set show-all-if-ambiguous on" bind \\C-o:menu-complete This allows... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mithu
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ps complete output

HI ALl I am creating a script where i can print ps output to find out most CPU utilised process.but in ps -ef we can get arg list only up to 80 character. ps -ef | more UID PID PPID C STIME TTY TIME CMD root 0 0 0 Feb 20 ? 0:40 sched root ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: devesh123
3 Replies

8. IP Networking

New-Bie doubt in TCP-IP 3 way hand shake

from my understanding step 1: From device A to device B , sending SYN. SYN=1 ACK=0 Ackno=0 Sequence number=2000 step 2: from device B to A , sending SYN-ACK SYN=1 ACK=1 ACKno=2001 Sequence number= 5000 Step :3 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: baker
4 Replies
tcl(1)							      General Commands Manual							    tcl(1)

NAME
tcl, tk, tcl-tk - Tool Command Language DESCRIPTION
The tcl software is unsupported software that is provided as part of Tru64 UNIX. Compaq will fix problems in this unsupported software only if they are specific to Tru64 UNIX. Compaq will not fix problems that are integral to the software itself or that occur when the com- ponent is used on UNIX systems other than Tru64 UNIX. Compaq will not add functionality to this software. Except for this reference page, other reference pages that Tru64 UNIX supplies for tcl are passed through without changes. The reference pages distributed as part of this software are available in the directories /usr/share/doclib/annex/man/man[1-9]. You should use this directory stem in the man command or add it to the MANPATH environment variable to make these files available to the man command. Note Compaq is not responsible for the content or quality of reference pages and other documents installed under the /usr/share/doclib/annex directory and does not revise this material in response to customer problem reports. Reference pages installed under the /usr/share/doclib/annex/man directory are not available from Compaq in book form; for example, they are not included in the reference manu- als that you receive when you order the Tru64 UNIX documentation set as hard copy books. Problems related to the content or quality of any documentation installed in the /usr/share/doclib/annex directory tree should be sent to the developers of the documentation. The format for changing the search path with the man command is: man -P /usr/share/doclib/annex/man [section] title... If you are using the Bourne, Korn, or POSIX shells, use the following command sequence to modify your environment: MANPATH=$MAN- PATH:/usr/share/doclib/annex/man export MANPATH If you are using the C shell, enter the command: setenv MANPATH `echo $MANPATH`:/usr/share/doclib/annex/man See the reference pages for the man(1) command for additional information on the search path used to locate files. The reference pages associated with this product are not included in the whatis data base created by the catman command. Therefore, the man -k and apropos commands will not locate reference pages included with this product. SEE ALSO
Commands: apropos(1), catman(8), man(1) tcl(1)