Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat red hat Linux 5.0 is detecting 3gb ram but physical ram is 16gb Post 302274829 by wazzu62 on Thursday 8th of January 2009 01:01:29 PM
Old 01-08-2009
try using the hugemem kernel

I believe starting the RHEL3 RedHat offers a hugemem kernel supports a 4GB per process user space and a 4GB direct kernel space. The hugemem kernel allows systems with up to 64GB of main memory and is required in order to use all the memory in system configured with more than 16GB of memory.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How much RAM does RH Linux need?

I wish to install Red Hat linux 7.1 on a machine with 16mb of EDO Ram. When I enter the instalation process I am told 'You do not have enough memory'. Is there a way to install RHL with only the 16? Or will I have to upgrade and buy some very expensive EDO. ~ Paul (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: KrazyGuyPaul
3 Replies

2. Debian

what is the best linux ver for p100 16 ram

Hello all i own p100 16ram laptop , i would like to run linux on it i need it for gcc compilation and shell scripting , no gui. what version of linux should i install , i dont mind to install old one . tnx allot (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
5 Replies

3. Solaris

getting available physical RAM

What command should I be using on Solaris 9 to get an accurate representation of the available physical RAM? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

To find the RAM size for an Linux server.

Hi Gurus, Can someone let me know how to find the RAM size,ROM size and Number of processors for a linux server. Version :Linux 2.4.9-e.57smp Also what does "e.57smp" stands for? Thanks in advance gurus..... cheers. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: navojit dutta
3 Replies

5. Solaris

RAM Physical Memory usage by each Process.

Hi All, I am trying to find the physical memory usage by each process/users. Can you please let me know how to get the memory usage?. Thanks, bsraj. (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: bsrajirs
12 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris sun4v - how do you determine physical RAM?

I have a Sun T5120, and I want to programmatically determine how much RAM it has. # uname -a SunOS myhost 5.10 Generic_141444-09 sun4v sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise-T5120 The box has 64Gb; I tried prtdiag and prtconf, but they give me bogus info prtconf gives me: # prtconf |grep -i... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: thomn8r
12 Replies

7. Cybersecurity

root cannot write to Linux RAM

void main() { long ((long)(&array)); int x; for (;;) { (array) =+ 1023; printf("%c", array); } } What is wrong with this code to print Linux RAM? (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alux
13 Replies

8. Red Hat

Physical RAM

Hi, I have a server (BL460c) with 32G of physical RAM. It currently only uses approx 5% its capacity but will use more (not sure how much more) pending the launch of further applications. If I need to build another node of similar functionality should I consider downgrading the physical... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Duffs22
2 Replies

9. Solaris

ZFS : Can arc size value exceed Physical RAM ?

Hi, kstat -p -m zfs -n arcstats -s size returns zfs:0:arcstats:size 8177310584 this values is approx (7.61 GB) but my Physical Memory size is only 6144 Megabytes. Can this happen ? if yes, then how can I find free memory on the system. BTW, I ran the kstat commands from a Non... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sapre_amit
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

Linux Red Hat AS3 Network card is not detecting ...

Dear Expert, I 've installed Redhat linux AS3, My machine having Inbuild network card (Intel(R) 82566DM-2 Gigabit Network Connection). I've downloaded e1000e-2.3.2 from Intel site, but its not working for my machine. I'm unable to configure the Network. ifconfig eth0 xx.xx.xx.xx netmask... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mohammed Faiz
0 Replies
RAM(4)							     Kernel Interfaces Manual							    RAM(4)

NAME
ram - ram disk driver SYNOPSIS
/sys/conf/SYSTEM: NRAM ram_size # RAM disk size (512-byte blocks) major device number(s): block: 3 minor device encoding: must be zero (0) DESCRIPTION
The ram pseudo-device provides a very fast extended memory store. It's use is intended for file systems like /tmp and applications which need to access a reasonably large amount of data quickly. The amount of memory dedicated to the ram device is controlled by the NRAM definition in units of 512-byte blocks. This is also patchable in the system binary through the variable ram_size (though a patched system would have to be rebooted before any change took effect; see adb(1)). This makes it easy to test the effects of different ram disk sizes on system performance. It's important to note that any space given to the ram device is permanently allocated at system boot time. Dedicating too much memory can adversely affect system performance by forcing the system to swap heavily as in a memory poor environment. The block file accesses the ram disk via the system's buffering mechanism through a buffer sharing arrangement with the buffer cache. It may be read and written without regard to physical disk records. There is no `raw' interface since no speed advantage is gained by such an interface with the ram disk. DISK SUPPORT
The ram driver does not support pseudo-disks (partitions). The special files refer to the entire `drive' as a single sequentially addressed file. A typical use for the ram disk would be to mount /tmp on it. Note that if this arrangement is recorded in /etc/fstab then /etc/rc will have to be modified slightly to do a mkfs(8) on the ram disk before the standard file system checks are done. FILES
/dev/ram block file /dev/MAKEDEV script to create special files /dev/MAKEDEV.local script to localize special files SEE ALSO
hk(4), ra(4), rl(4), rk(4), rp(4), rx(4), si(4), xp(4) dtab(5), autoconfig(8) DIAGNOSTICS
ram: no space. There is not enough memory to allocate the space needed by the ram disk. The ram disk is disabled. Any attempts to access it will return an error. ram: not allocated. No memory was allocated to the ram disk and an attempt was made to open it. Either not enough memory was available at boot time or the kernel variable ram_size was set to zero. BUGS
The ram driver is only available under 2.11BSD. 3rd Berkeley Distribution Januray 27, 1996 RAM(4)