Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming How to read flags from mode_t type? Post 302264689 by pallak7 on Thursday 4th of December 2008 03:08:41 PM
Old 12-04-2008
I think I may have it figured out. Is this correct:
Code:
if((perms->st_mode & S_IRWXO) && S_IROTH != 1) then return an error

to check if a file is world-readable and return an error if it's not? That's really the only permission I care about.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

if flags

Hi folks. I'm just starting to teach myself shell scripting and am having some trouble with an if statement. I am working with a directory where only one file will reside at a time and need to evaluate if this file is compressed to determine subsequent steps. I'm using echo for testing purposes.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristy
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

makefile not taking -D flags

Hi, I found this strange behaviour while using one of the makefiles. Here is the snippet of the unix.mak that is necessary for this context SO = SvSocket.o SvStmt.o SvOdbcWrapper.o \ OdbcCallReader.o MgrCalls.o OdbcSvProxy.o \ OdbcSvApp.o... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

String type to date type

Can one string type variable changed into the date type variable. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rinku
1 Replies

4. Programming

array type has incomplete element type

Dear colleagues, One of my friend have a problem with c code. While compiling a c program it displays a message like "array type has incomplete element type". Any body can provide a solution for it. Jaganadh.G (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jaganadh
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

int open(const char *pathname, int flags, mode_t mode) doubt...

hello everybody! I want to create a file with permissions for read, write, and execute to everybody using C, so I write this code: #include <stdio.h> #include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/stat.h> #include <fcntl.h> int main(){ int fileDescriptor; fileDescriptor =... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: csnmgeek
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Processes Communication Only with flags!

hello everybody and a happy new year! i am trying the client-server model...i have no problem with sockets etc... especially for server:there is a father who is listening for TCP connections from clients,the later send commands which parent shares to his children. then children execute... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vaggelakis
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

WHat are flags?

Can anybody actually tell, what is flag? I know they are termed as permission flags and various others. Please explain (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixhead
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ifconfig Flags

Hi there, I need your help in understanding the below Solaris 10 ifconfig output; athnetspns02>ifconfig -a lo0: flags=2001000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4,VIRTUAL> mtu 8232 index 1 inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000 e1000g0:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wthomas
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to read file and check file type

Hi, I have a file with few values in it. I need script help to read file line by line and check: 1/if it's a file (with extension eg .java .css .jar etc ) or 2/if it's a file without extension and treat it as a directory and then check if the directory exists in working copy else create one... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: iaav
6 Replies
STRMODE(3)                                                 BSD Library Functions Manual                                                 STRMODE(3)

NAME
strmode -- convert inode status information into a symbolic string LIBRARY
Utility functions from BSD systems (libbsd, -lbsd) SYNOPSIS
#include <bsd/string.h> void strmode(mode_t mode, char *bp); DESCRIPTION
The strmode() function converts a file mode (the type and permission information associated with an inode, see stat(2)) into a symbolic string which is stored in the location referenced by bp. This stored string is eleven characters in length plus a trailing NUL. The first character is the inode type, and will be one of the following: - regular file b block special c character special d directory l symbolic link p fifo s socket w whiteout ? unknown inode type The next nine characters encode three sets of permissions, in three characters each. The first three characters are the permissions for the owner of the file, the second three for the group the file belongs to, and the third for the ``other'', or default, set of users. Permission checking is done as specifically as possible. If read permission is denied to the owner of a file in the first set of permis- sions, the owner of the file will not be able to read the file. This is true even if the owner is in the file's group and the group permis- sions allow reading or the ``other'' permissions allow reading. If the first character of the three character set is an ``r'', the file is readable for that set of users; if a dash ``-'', it is not read- able. If the second character of the three character set is a ``w'', the file is writable for that set of users; if a dash ``-'', it is not writable. The third character is the first of the following characters that apply: S If the character is part of the owner permissions and the file is not executable or the directory is not searchable by the owner, and the set-user-id bit is set. S If the character is part of the group permissions and the file is not executable or the directory is not searchable by the group, and the set-group-id bit is set. T If the character is part of the other permissions and the file is not executable or the directory is not searchable by others, and the ``sticky'' (S_ISVTX) bit is set. s If the character is part of the owner permissions and the file is executable or the directory searchable by the owner, and the set- user-id bit is set. s If the character is part of the group permissions and the file is executable or the directory searchable by the group, and the set- group-id bit is set. t If the character is part of the other permissions and the file is executable or the directory searchable by others, and the ``sticky'' (S_ISVTX) bit is set. x The file is executable or the directory is searchable. - None of the above apply. The last character is a plus sign ``+'' if any there are any alternate or additional access control methods associated with the inode, other- wise it will be a space. SEE ALSO
chmod(1), find(1), stat(2), getmode(3), setmode(3) HISTORY
The strmode() function first appeared in 4.4BSD. BSD July 28, 1994 BSD