Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting comparing two files using shell script Post 302260593 by Konerak on Friday 21st of November 2008 04:51:00 AM
Old 11-21-2008
The rules clearly state no posting homework assignment... why can't you use "diff"? It's made for this thing.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script comparing files in a file

There is a text file that contains the data in the following format: COLUMN1 COLUMN2 ABC 1 ABC 2 ABC 3 DEF 4 DEF 5 XYZ 7 We have to create a second text file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: raina_nalin
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shell script for comparing 2 files

Hi, how to read the 2 files and compare each other in shell script? i have 2 files test1 and test2, both files contains 20 character records.we have to compare file 1 records with file2, if exists then reject the record else we have to append it to test2 file. in file test1 around 100 single... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashanth.spl
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing 2 files in shell script

I have 2 files config1h.txt ----------------- BFMU=ENABLE,ID=PM THR=OFF,REP=ALL,CON=IACM,TIM=OFF;GPON collection strategy 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2:8 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2:7 1.3.6.1.4.1.637.61.1.35.11.4:4 1.3.6.1.4.1.637.61.1.35.11.4:3 1.3.6.1.4.1.637.61.1.35.10.1:2 1.3.6.1.4.1.637.61.1.35.10.1:43... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: LavanyaP
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing 2 files using shell script

Hi Experts, I have 2 files 1 file consists of 800 records and 2 file consists of 100 records with matching column as Membership_Num.So i need a script which will compare the 2 files and displays the output.As these are the files the script should take any delimter like (tab,comma) as input... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveen.dasu
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script for comparing two files

Hi, I have 2 files as below FILE1.dat co1|co2|co3 abnd|45.56|AZ dkny|30.2|PA sam|.23|VA FILE.CTL FILENAME|FILE1.dat NO OF RECORDS|3 CHECKSUM|75.99 Could you please help me to write a shell script to compare 1. TOTAL RECORDS from FILE1.dat with NO of RECORDS in FILE.CTL 2.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dreamsportsteam
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in comparing two files using shell or Perl

I have these two file that I am trying to compare using shell arrays. I need to find out the changed or the missing enteries from File2. For example. The line "f nsd1" in file2 is different from file1 and the line "g nsd6" is missing from file2. I dont want to use "for loop" because my files... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sags007_99
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help in comparing 2 text files in shell script

Hi All, I have 2 files like below vi f1 frog elephant rabit zebra dog vi f2 rabit dog ============== Now i want to comapre two files and the result will be frog (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumar85shiv
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell script needed for comparing two files

Hi, I need shell script to compare the two files based on certain fields and output should contains the required fields based on result.pls find sample input files and required output file 1 COUNT, BNG_IP,PORT,OVLAN 22 , 10.238.60.129,1/1,2009 144 , 10.238.60.129,1/1,2251 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: surender reddy
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Comparing 2 files using awk , not getting any results - C shell

I am using c shell and trying to compare 2 files using awk . But the below awk statement doesnt give any result. Pls. advise why am not getting the desired o/p with the corrected awk script. Need to acheive this solution in awk using C shell. awk 'FNR==NR{a++;next} {for(i in a) {if ( a=$0... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: reach2khan
8 Replies
DIFF(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   DIFF(1)

NAME
diff - differential file and directory comparator SYNOPSIS
diff [ -l ] [ -r ] [ -s ] [ -cefhn ] [ -biwt ] dir1 dir2 diff [ -cefhn ] [ -biwt ] file1 file2 diff [ -Dstring ] [ -biw ] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
If both arguments are directories, diff sorts the contents of the directories by name, and then runs the regular file diff algorithm (described below) on text files which are different. Binary files which differ, common subdirectories, and files which appear in only one directory are listed. Options when comparing directories are: -l long output format; each text file diff is piped through pr(1) to paginate it, other differences are remembered and summarized after all text file differences are reported. -r causes application of diff recursively to common subdirectories encountered. -s causes diff to report files which are the same, which are otherwise not mentioned. -Sname starts a directory diff in the middle beginning with file name. When run on regular files, and when comparing text files which differ during directory comparison, diff tells what lines must be changed in the files to bring them into agreement. Except in rare circumstances, diff finds a smallest sufficient set of file differences. If nei- ther file1 nor file2 is a directory, then either may be given as `-', in which case the standard input is used. If file1 is a directory, then a file in that directory whose file-name is the same as the file-name of file2 is used (and vice versa). There are several options for output format; the default output format contains lines of these forms: n1 a n3,n4 n1,n2 d n3 n1,n2 c n3,n4 These lines resemble ed commands to convert file1 into file2. The numbers after the letters pertain to file2. In fact, by exchanging `a' for `d' and reading backward one may ascertain equally how to convert file2 into file1. As in ed, identical pairs where n1 = n2 or n3 = n4 are abbreviated as a single number. Following each of these lines come all the lines that are affected in the first file flagged by `<', then all the lines that are affected in the second file flagged by `>'. Except for -b, -w, -i or -t which may be given with any of the others, the following options are mutually exclusive: -e produces a script of a, c and d commands for the editor ed, which will recreate file2 from file1. In connection with -e, the fol- lowing shell program may help maintain multiple versions of a file. Only an ancestral file ($1) and a chain of version-to-version ed scripts ($2,$3,...) made by diff need be on hand. A `latest version' appears on the standard output. (shift; cat $*; echo '1,$p') | ed - $1 Extra commands are added to the output when comparing directories with -e, so that the result is a sh(1) script for converting text files which are common to the two directories from their state in dir1 to their state in dir2. -f produces a script similar to that of -e, not useful with ed, and in the opposite order. -n produces a script similar to that of -e, but in the opposite order and with a count of changed lines on each insert or delete com- mand. This is the form used by rcsdiff(1). -c produces a diff with lines of context. The default is to present 3 lines of context and may be changed, e.g to 10, by -c10. With -c the output format is modified slightly: the output beginning with identification of the files involved and their creation dates and then each change is separated by a line with a dozen *'s. The lines removed from file1 are marked with `- '; those added to file2 are marked `+ '. Lines which are changed from one file to the other are marked in both files with with `! '. Changes which lie within <context> lines of each other are grouped together on output. (This is a change from the previous ``diff -c'' but the resulting output is usually much easier to interpret.) -h does a fast, half-hearted job. It works only when changed stretches are short and well separated, but does work on files of unlimited length. -Dstring causes diff to create a merged version of file1 and file2 on the standard output, with C preprocessor controls included so that a compilation of the result without defining string is equivalent to compiling file1, while defining string will yield file2. -b causes trailing blanks (spaces and tabs) to be ignored, and other strings of blanks to compare equal. -w is similar to -b but causes whitespace (blanks and tabs) to be totally ignored. E.g., ``if ( a == b )'' will compare equal to ``if(a==b)''. -i ignores the case of letters. E.g., ``A'' will compare equal to ``a''. -t will expand tabs in output lines. Normal or -c output adds character(s) to the front of each line which may screw up the indenta- tion of the original source lines and make the output listing difficult to interpret. This option will preserve the original source's indentation. FILES
/tmp/d????? /usr/libexec/diffh for -h /bin/diff for directory diffs /bin/pr SEE ALSO
cmp(1), cc(1), comm(1), ed(1), diff3(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is 0 for no differences, 1 for some, 2 for trouble. BUGS
Editing scripts produced under the -e or -f option are naive about creating lines consisting of a single `.'. When comparing directories with the -b, -w or -i options specified, diff first compares the files ala cmp, and then decides to run the diff algorithm if they are not equal. This may cause a small amount of spurious output if the files then turn out to be identical because the only differences are insignificant blank string or case differences. 4th Berkeley Distribution October 21, 1996 DIFF(1)