Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Setting up a Solaris training Post 302248559 by Perderabo on Saturday 18th of October 2008 10:05:16 AM
Old 10-18-2008
We are trying to get people to upgrade away from Solaris 8. With the kind of "push back" we're getting, you'd think we had asked them to eat a bucket of worms. The new system start up is the big thing. You can ignore zfs and dtrace, but you can't ignore the changes to system start up. Even a simple thing like disabling (or re-enabling) sendmail freaks out most folks approaching 10 for the first time. You won't be comfortable with the os until you're comfortable with this. This is the main reason that a lot of people where I work have rejected Solaris 10.

Reason number 2 is no support for static linking, but this only requires a quick sentence or two in your class.

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX/solaris training

I am new to UNIX and somewhat familiar with Solaris. Can you suggest any good (simple English) books that can help me with understanding and learning UNIX? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iamnew2solaris
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris for a training: PC vs Sparc

I need a computer to try Solaris. I'm learning with UNIX Academy training DVDs and after spending much time with Linux I want to try and learn on Solaris. I'll have to buy a computer for my training anyway. I found on ebay plenty of inexpensive Sun boxes. Would it be beneficial for learning to have... (26 Replies)
Discussion started by: newlinuxuser1
26 Replies

3. Solaris

Setting IP on Solaris 10 help

Hi all, So, I need to change the IP/netmask on 2 sun v240's running solaris 10. I seem to have done it correctly on one, it's holding the ip after a init 6 reboot. The other does not want to keep ip using same commands. I'm guessing I have to change some files I haven't yet, but have no... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kuriosity_prime
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Any Solaris training?

Good Afternoon, Does anyone know of any free or cheap SkillSoft type Solaris training, with an exam? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stellaman1977
0 Replies
domainname(1M)						  System Administration Commands					    domainname(1M)

NAME
domainname - set or display name of the current domain SYNOPSIS
domainname [name-of-domain] DESCRIPTION
Without an argument, domainname displays the name of the current domain name used in RPC exchanges, usually referred to as the NIS or NIS+ domain name. This name typically encompasses a group of hosts or passwd entries under the same administration. The domainname command is used by various components of Solaris to resolve names for entries such as are found in passwd, hosts and aliases. By default, naming ser- vices such as NIS and NIS+ use domainname to resolve names. With appropriate privileges (root or an equivalent role [see rbac(5)]), you can set the name of the domain by specifying the name as an argument to the domainname command. The domain name for various naming services can also be set by other means. For example, ypinit can be used to specify a different domain for all NIS calls. The domain name of the machine is usually set during boot time through the domainname command by the svc:/system/iden- tity:domain service. If the new domain name is not saved in the /etc/defaultdomain file, the machine reverts to the old domain after it reboots. The sendmail(1M) daemon, as shipped with Solaris, and the sendmail implementation provided by sendmail.org (formerly referred to as "Berke- ley 8.x sendmail") both attempt to determine a local host's fully qualified host name at startup and both pursue follow-up actions if the initial search fails. It is in these follow-up actions that the two implementations differ. Both implementations use a standard Solaris or Unix system call to determine its fully qualified host name at startup, following the name service priorities specified in nsswitch.conf(4). To this point, the Solaris and sendmail.org versions behave identically. If the request for a fully qualified host name fails, the sendmail.org sendmail sleeps for 60 seconds, tries again, and, upon continuing failure, resorts to a short name. The Solaris version of sendmail makes the same initial request, but then, following initial failure, calls domainname. If successful, the sleep is avoided. On a Solaris machine, if you run the sendmail.org version of sendmail, you get the startup behavior (omitting the domainname call) described above. If you run the Solaris sendmail, the domainname call is made if needed. If the Solaris sendmail cannot determine the fully qualified host name, use check-hostname(1M) as a troubleshooting aid. This script can offer guidance as to appropriate corrective action. FILES
/etc/defaultdomain /etc/nsswitch.conf ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
NIS+(1), nischown(1), nispasswd(1), svcs(1), check-hostname(1M), hostconfig(1M), named(1M), nisaddcred(1M), sendmail(1M), svcadm(1M), ypinit(1M), sys-unconfig(1M), aliases(4), defaultdomain(4), hosts(4), nsswitch.conf(4), passwd(4), attributes(5), rbac(5), smf(5) NOTES
The domainname service is managed by the service management facility, smf(5), under the service identifier: svc:/system/identity:domain Administrative actions on this service, such as enabling, disabling, or requesting restart, can be performed using svcadm(1M). The ser- vice's status can be queried using the svcs(1) command. SunOS 5.11 8 Mar 2006 domainname(1M)