Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: SIGCHLD trace problem
Top Forums Programming SIGCHLD trace problem Post 302239116 by aaronwong on Tuesday 23rd of September 2008 02:01:55 AM
Old 09-23-2008
Question SIGCHLD trace problem

Hello,

I'd like to know whether it is possible to let the parent know who kills its child process. The case is likely as below:

if there are four processes, we call them A, B, C and D. B is the child of A, and can be killed by both C and D. if B is killed, then A will receive SIGCHLD from B. But how to let A know who kills B? C or D ?

Thanks in advance !

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Need help with SIGCHLD

Hello everybody, this is my first post on this forum. I have a program that has a child process that sleeps for 5 second and exit. I'm suppose to modify this program so that when the child exits, the parent reports the exit status of the child, so I also have to deal with SIGINT and SIGQUIT. Can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Unlimited Sky
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

catch SIGCHLD signal in parent process

I want to catch SIGCHLD signal in parent process. I can't use wait() system call to catch SIGCHLD according to project requirment. Operating system linux 3.1 can any one have a solution for this. Thanking you, ranjan (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranjan
2 Replies

3. Programming

signal handler for SIGCHLD

Hi, I have an c++ application which uses the function fork and execvp(). The parent does not wait until the child ends. The parents just creates children and let them do their stuff. You can see the parent program as a batch-manager. I have added a SIGCHLD handler to the program: void... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jens
3 Replies

4. Programming

When is SIGCHLD is raised.

Hi, I have 2 processes X and Y. Y is exec() from X. In Y i have an exit handler, which is called when i return from main. With in exit handler i delete and object which in turn calls the destructor of the object, which terminates all the threads of Y. I believe that SIGCHLD is raised by Y as... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: supersumanth
4 Replies

5. Programming

adv reqd on SIGCHLD on accept call

Hi, I have small problem. In my (concurrent)server programm, I am handling accept problem from client like this. sample of server code. /*******************/ end = 0; while (! end ) { sockfd = accept(...) if(sockfd == -1) { if (errno == EINTR) /* this is bcoz... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevenjagan
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

About SIGCHLD

When the SIGCHLD is sent? SIGCHLD is sent either a child exits spontaneously (e.g. exit(0)) or it is killed ? thank you in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Puntino
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Who sent the process SIGCHLD ?

I want to know whicj process send the signal SIGCHLD to the parent's child. Thank you in advance, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Puntino
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Log Trace

Hi I would like to display only error messages from my log files while monotring application on my solaris box using tail command. Is there other way we can monitor please let me know? In general # tail -f "xyz.log' ---> this will display current activity of the logs, instead i would like... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gkrishnag
4 Replies

9. Programming

SIGCHLD interrupts its own handler

Hi. I have a program whose job it is to manage 15 child processes. Sometimes these children die (sometimes deliberately other times with a SEGV). This causes a SIGCHLD to be sent to my program which uses waitpid() in the signal handler to gather information and, in most cases, restart the child.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jrichemont
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using SIGCHLD

I'm testing out how to use SIGCHLD and I had a question about intercepting the signal and executing an action in the signal handler. signal(SIGCHLD,countdown); What I'm trying to achieve is be able to printf(Hello) every second that child is set to sleep. I'm setting sleep = 3; so... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: l flipboi l
1 Replies
KILLALL(1)							   User Commands							KILLALL(1)

NAME
killall - kill processes by name SYNOPSIS
killall [-e,--exact] [-g,--process-group] [-i,--interactive] [-q,--quiet] [-v,--verbose] [-w,--wait] [-V,--version] [-S,--sid] [-c,--con- text] [-s,--signal signal] [--] name ... killall -l killall -V,--version DESCRIPTION
killall sends a signal to all processes running any of the specified commands. If no signal name is specified, SIGTERM is sent. Signals can be specified either by name (e.g. -HUP) or by number (e.g. -1). If the command name contains a slash (/), processes executing that particular file will be selected for killing, independent of their name. killall returns a zero return code if at least one process has been killed for each ilisted command. killall returns zero otherwise. A killall process never kills itself (but may kill other killall processes). OPTIONS
-e, --exact Require an exact match for very long names. If a command name is longer than 15 characters, the full name may be unavailable (i.e. it is swapped out). In this case, killall will kill everything that matches within the first 15 characters. With -e, such entries are skipped. killall prints a message for each skipped entry if -v is specified in addition to -e, -g, --process-group Kill the process group to which the process belongs. The kill signal is only sent once per group, even if multiple processes belong- ing to the same process group were found. -i, --interactive Interactively ask for confirmation before killing. -l, --list List all known signal names. -q, --quiet Do not complain if no processes were killed. -v, --verbose Report if the signal was successfully sent. -V, --version Display version information. -w, --wait Wait for all killed processes to die. killall checks once per second if any of the killed processes still exist and only returns if none are left. Note that killall may wait forever if the signal was ignored, had no effect, or if the process stays in zombie state. -S (Flask only) Specify SID: kill only processes with given SID. Mutually exclusive with -c argument. Must precede other arguments on command line. -c (Flask only) Specify security context: kill only processes with given security context. Mutually exclusive with -s. Must precede other arguments on the command line. FILES
/proc location of the proc file system KNOWN BUGS
Killing by file only works for executables that are kept open during execution, i.e. impure executables can't be killed this way. Be warned that typing killall name may not have the desired effect on non-Linux systems, especially when done by a privileged user. killall -w doesn't detect if a process disappears and is replaced by a new process with the same PID between scans. AUTHORS
Werner Almesberger <Werner.Almesberger@epfl.ch> wrote the original version of psmisc. Since version 20 Craig Small <csmall@small.drop- bear.id.au> can be blamed. SEE ALSO
kill(1), fuser(1), pgrep(1), pidof(1), ps(1), kill(2) Linux March 25, 2001 KILLALL(1)