Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Conditional merging of lines
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Conditional merging of lines Post 302233169 by ghostdog74 on Saturday 6th of September 2008 11:31:33 AM
Old 09-06-2008
Code:
while read -r line
do
    case $line in
        "UNIX is cool") echo $line;;
        "UNIX is coo") 
            read nextline
            echo "$line$nextline"
            ;;
        * ) echo $line;;
    esac 
done < file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Merging lines into one

Hello. I would be very pleased if sb. help me to solve my problem. I've got a file with many non blank lines and I want to merge all lines into one not destroy the informations on them. I've tryed it with split and paste, tr, sed , but everything I've done has been wrong. I know about crazy... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Foxgard
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

merging two lines in a file

Hi All, I want to merge two lines in a file till the end of the file. So what could be the command to get so. say file name : sample.txt contents: country=1 send apps =1 rece=2 country=2 send apps =3 rece=3 .. ... output: country=1;send apps =1 rece=2 country=2;send apps =3... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: thaduka
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging lines in a file

Hi, I want to merge the lines starting with a comma symbol with the previous line of the file. Input : cat file.txt name1,name2 ,name3,name4 emp1,emp2,emp3 ,emp4 ,emp5 user1,user2 ,user3 Output name1,name2,name3,name4 emp1,emp2,emp3,emp4,emp5 (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohan_tuty
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conditional concat lines awk

Hello, I have a text file like this: NONE FILE_Rename frompath: /log_audit/AIX/log/current/AIXAFTPP.log NONE FILE_Unlink filename /audit/tempfile.14041142 NONE FILE_Rename ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: carloskl
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging lines

Hi folks. Could somebody help me write a script or command that will look through a file and for every line that doesn't contain a certain value, merge it with the one above? For example, the file contains: SCOTLAND|123|ABC|yes SCOTLAND|456|DEF|yes SCOTLAND|78 9|GHI|yes ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MDM
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

merging two .txt files by alternating x lines from file 1 and y lines from file2

Hi everyone, I have two files (A and B) and want to combine them to one by always taking 10 rows from file A and subsequently 6 lines from file B. This process shall be repeated 40 times (file A = 400 lines; file B = 240 lines). Does anybody have an idea how to do that using perl, awk or sed?... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ink_LE
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk if conditional, multiple lines

Hi experts, I have a file with hundreds of lines that looks something like this: Cake 1 3 4 2 3 1 3 Onion 3 2 4 1 3 4 2 Apple 2 3 4 4 1 2 1 Orange 4 3 4 1 2 4 1 Cake 3 1 4 2 4 2 1 Onion 2 4 2 1 4 2 1 Apple 4 3 3 3 3 2 1 Orange 2 1 2 2 2 4 1 Cake 4 3 4 3 1 3 3 ... I'm trying to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: david_seeds
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging lines

Thanks it worked for me. I have one more question on top of that. We had few records which were splitted in 2 lines instead of one. Now i identified those lines. The file is too big to open via vi and edit it. How can i do it without opening the file. Suppose, I want line number 1001 & 1002 to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gangadhar Reddy
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging 2 lines together

I have a small problem, which due to my lack of knowledge, has left me unable to decipher some of the solutions that I looked at on these forums. So below is a piece of text, which I ran via cat -vet, which comes from within a program file. I have many such programs to process and repeatable,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: skarnm
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging multiple lines to columns with awk, while inserting commas for missing lines

Hello all, I have a large csv file where there are four types of rows I need to merge into one row per person, where there is a column for each possible code / type of row, even if that code/row isn't there for that person. In the csv, a person may be listed from one to four times... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: RalphNY
9 Replies
echo(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						  echo(1B)

NAME
echo - echo arguments to standard output SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/echo [-n] [argument] DESCRIPTION
echo writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files and for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of envi- ronment variables. For example, you can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o echo your current-working-directory's full pathname o pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters o pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo "echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w" See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. The shells csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1), each have an echo built-in command, which, by default, will have precedence, and will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. /usr/ucb/echo and csh's echo() have an -n option, but do not understand back-slashed escape characters. sh's echo(), ksh's echo(), and /usr/bin/echo, on the other hand, understand the black-slashed escape characters, and ksh's echo() also understands a as the audible bell character; however, these commands do not have an -n option. OPTIONS
-n Do not add the NEWLINE to the output. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), echo(1), ksh(1), sh(1), tr(1), wc(1), attributes(5) NOTES
The -n option is a transition aid for BSD applications, and may not be supported in future releases. SunOS 5.11 3 Aug 1994 echo(1B)