Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Printing Formatted Records From A File Post 302231691 by era on Wednesday 3rd of September 2008 02:16:36 AM
Old 09-03-2008
Have a look at the printf function in awk.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count No of Records in File without counting Header and Trailer Records

I have a flat file and need to count no of records in the file less the header and the trailer record. I would appreciate any and all asistance Thanks Hadi Lalani (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guiguy
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating a report -Formatted printing -Urgent

Hi, My aim is to generate a report using shell script. There are various formats fields coloumns etc. I want to print in a single line (row) but in different coloumn as given below: field1 field2 field3 field4 ....... ....... ...... ....... The spacing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jisha
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing records which meet condition using awk

Below is the code nawk -F"|" 'tolower($1) ~ "abc" |"" {if (tolower($2) ~"abc"|"") print$0}' file I want the records from file whose 1st and 2nd field should be either "abc" or "null" I tried but its giving error. Appreciate help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with formatted printing in AWK

Hi, I want to print 130 fileds using formatted printing in AWK. It looks like awk '{printf ("%7.2f%7.2f...%7.2\n",$1,$2,...,$130)}' inflie>oufile But it gives me an error: Word too long! Can you please help me with this? Is there another way to do this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: PHL
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep specific records from a file of records that are separated by an empty line

Hi everyone. I am a newbie to Linux stuff. I have this kind of problem which couldn't solve alone. I have a text file with records separated by empty lines like this: ID: 20 Name: X Age: 19 ID: 21 Name: Z ID: 22 Email: xxx@yahoo.com Name: Y Age: 19 I want to grep records that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Atrisa
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting duplicate records from file 1 if records from file 2 match

I have 2 files "File 1" is delimited by ";" and "File 2" is delimited by "|". File 1 below (3 record shown): Doc1;03/01/2012;New York;6 Main Street;Mr. Smith 1;Mr. Jones Doc2;03/01/2012;Syracuse;876 Broadway;John Davis;Barbara Lull Doc3;03/01/2012;Buffalo;779 Old Windy Road;Charles... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vestport
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Printing records in different format

Hi all, I have a input file say record.txt hostname IP_address Port_No Version A 10.10.10.1 80 6.02 B 10.10.10.2 81 6.03 C 10.10.10.3 82 6.04 row 1 has 4 field headings : hostname, IP_address, Port_No and Version. and from 2nd row onwards the actual records start. now i need to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PranavEcstasy
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Separate records of a file on 2 types of records

Hi I am new to shell programming in unix Please if I can provide help. I have a file structure of a header record and "N" detail records. The header record will be the total number of detail records I need to split the file in 2: One for the header Another for all detail records Could... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jamcogar
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Help in printing records where there is a 'header' in the first record ???

Hi, I have a backup report that unfortunately has some kind of hanging indent thing where the first line contains one column more than the others I managed to get the output that I wanted using awk, but just wanting to know if there is short way of doing it using the same awk Below is what... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Processing a formatted file with awk

Hi - I want to interrogate information about my poker hands, sessions are all recorded in a text file in a particular format. Each hand starts with the string <PokerStars> followed by a unique hand reference and other data like date/time. There is then all the information about each hand. My first... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbeech23
5 Replies
script(1)						      General Commands Manual							 script(1)

NAME
script - make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
[file] DESCRIPTION
makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It starts a shell named by the environment variable, or by default and silently records a copy of output to your terminal from that shell or its descendents, using a pseudo-terminal device (see pty(7)). All output is written to file, or appended to file if the option is given. If no file name is given, the output is saved in a file named The recording can be sent to a line printer later with lp(1), or reviewed safely with the option of cat(1). The recording ends when the forked shell exits (or the user ends the session by typing "exit") or the shell and all its descendents close the pseudo-terminal device. This program is useful when operating a CRT display and a hard-copy record of the dialog is desired. It can also be used for a simple form of session auditing. respects the convention for login shells as described in su(1), sh(1), and ksh(1). Thus, if it is invoked with a command name beginning with a hyphen (that is, passes a basename to the shell that is also preceded by a hyphen. The input flow control can be enabled by setting environmental variable before running Please see section for details on using this envi- ronment variable. EXAMPLES
Save everything printed on the user's screen into file Append a copy of everything printed to the user's screen to file WARNINGS
A command such as which displays the contents of the destination file, should not be issued while executing because it would cause to log the output of the command to itself until all available disk space is filled. Other commands, such as more(1), can cause the same problem but to a lesser degree. records all received output in the file, including typing errors, backspaces, and cursor motions. Note that it does not record typed char- acters; only echoed characters. Thus passwords are not recorded in the file. Responses other than simple echoes (such as output from screen-oriented editors and command editing) are recorded as they appeared in the original session. When there is no input flow control is not set), there can be some data loss while using However, script(1) can behave unexpectedly, if is set and is not set. AUTHOR
was developed by the University of California, Berkeley and HP. script(1)