Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX multiple instances of same vg on same AIX machine Post 302218261 by navadeep on Thursday 24th of July 2008 09:10:28 PM
Old 07-24-2008
multiple instances of same vg on same AIX machine

hi,
i am new to AIX and to this forum as well. Can you please help me out with following issue/requirement

1) I have one physical volume (pv1) (a scsi disk). (pv1) on 1st AIX machine. I have a single volume group on it(vg1).
2)I removed it from the 1st AIX machine and exported to the 2nd AIX machine. I am able to successfully import the vg1 and use it.
3) Now i got a new physical volume (pv2) on 1st AIX machine, and created the same volume group on it i.e vg1. (it has some updated information than the old volume group vg1).
4) Now i removed from 1st AIX machine and exported to 2nd AIX machine. 5) Now when i try to import this new vg1 on AIX2 it says vg1 is already used.

But i want to have both the volume groups (old vg1 and new vg1) on the same AIX server (2nd one). So some one can help me how i can do it? I dont want to use different vg names.

I have AIX 6.1 on 64bit kernel

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

multiple instances of syslogd - is it possible?

I would like to start up multiple instances of syslog daemon. I am having a little difficulty. Is this at all possible? I have separate syslog.conf1.... syslog.conf5 files. I have linked the daemon to separate files syslogd1 ... syslogd5 I have arranged the rcd.2 start/stop scripts for... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gary Dunn
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Multiple file instances

I am capturing text based reports with a specific program, which works no problem. However, since I send report warehouse output as they are migrated from the database software, on occasion when two capture process' initiate simultaneously, the capture file locks up. Is there a way to setup (in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gozer13
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

detecting multiple instances

Hi Gurus I have a requirement like this. i use solaris OS.. if there are 2 instances of the same ksh file running in the directory, i need to kill the ksh file that started to run latest. suppose ragha.ksh starts running thru cron in abc/xyz directory now ragha.ksh started running by any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ragha81
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

kill multiple instances of the same program

Hi, I know that the answer to this is very simple, since I saw somebody do it some time back..but I forgot how. The problem is, I have multiple instances of the same program running simultaneously and I want to kill them all in a single command. I know that it can be done using awk '{print... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ipzig
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple instances of a job.

Could you please let me know how to create/make a multiple instances of a job/process in ksh(shell scripting). i.e., at present the parent script is calling another child/dependent script for only once. What we want is, the parent script itself has to execute multiple times, and in each one it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gangegowda
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep with multiple instances of same pattern

Hi, This is my text file I'm trying to Grep. Apple Location Greenland Rdsds dsds fdfd ddsads http Received Return Immediately Received End My Grep command: grep only--matching 'Location.*Received' Because the keyword Received appears twice, the Grep command will stop at the last... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: spywarebox
3 Replies

7. Programming

Control multiple program instances - open multiple files problem

Hello. This shouldn't be an unusual problem, but I cannot find anything about it at google or at other search machine. So, I've made an application using C++ and QtCreator. I 've made a new mime type for application's project files. My system (ubuntu 10.10), when I right click a file and I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script counting instances of software running on a machine

Hello to all @here, as Iīm new to this forum, I will try to start in a easy way for my first post. Iīm not beginner in scripting, but also not a proffessional. So please keep easy, if I donīt understand your explanation at once ;) I donīt mean it in a bad way! Here is the Problem: There were... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: muogli
2 Replies

9. Programming

Multiple instances of pthread

Suppose I declare pthread_t clear_thread; and then pthread_create(&clear_thread, &detach, clear_message, this); the thread is supposed to go away, perform the service it is intended to procide, and then kill itself. A little while later, I require this service again, so I say ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: clerew
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Connecting to multiple instances on the same server

I have a db server with two instances...trying to create an expect script that will scan both the listener and the alert log files and retrieve their sizes. Issue we have is that the .profile is hard coded with one of the databases name and script is always pulling from the same instance (testdb1)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: donpasscal
1 Replies
lvdisplay(1M)															     lvdisplay(1M)

NAME
lvdisplay - display information about LVM logical volumes SYNOPSIS
lv_path ... Remarks If the logical volume input arguments belong to a combination of volume groups versions 1.0 and 2.0 or higher, the arguments may not be processed in the order they are listed on the command line. Mirrored disk information requires the installation of the optional HP MirrorDisk/UX software, which is not included in the standard HP-UX operating system. DESCRIPTION
The command displays the characteristics and status of each logical volume specified by lv_path. Options and Arguments recognizes the following options and arguments: lv_path The block device path name of a logical volume, for example, Produce a compact listing of fields described in The output is a list of colon separated fields formatted as value...]. For each logical volume, display the physical volume distribution, and the mapping of the logical extents onto the physical extents of the physical volumes. This option displays the same information as the option, except in the column where is displayed, the (Physical Volume Number in VG) will be displayed instead. Use this option with the option. Display Without -v Option If you omit the option, displays the following information for each logical volume: The block device path name of the logical volume. The path name of the volume group. The access permission and quiesce mode: The access permission is either: or If the VG containing the LV is quiesced, the quiesce mode is displayed on the same line. The quiesce mode is either: or State of the logical volume: Available but contains physical extents that are not current. Available with no stale extents. Not available for use. Number of mirror copies. Mode of mirror consistency recovery which determines how LVM performs mirror consistency recovery during volume group activation: Recover mirror consistency by using the Mirror Write Cache and Mirror Consistency Record. Implies that Mirror Write Cache is on. Recover mirror consistency by going through all logical extents and copying data from a non-stale copy to the other mirror copies. Implies that Mirror Write Cache is off. No mirror consistency recovery during volume group activation on this logical volume following a system crash. The user of the logical volume is responsible for ensuring mirror consistency. Implies that Mirror Write Cache is off. Striped, sequential or parallel scheduling policy. Striped policy is by default parallel scheduling for mirrored I/O. Size of the logical volume in megabytes (MB). Number of logical extents currently in the logical volume. Number of physical extents allocated to the logical volume. The number of stripes. If this field is 0, then the logical volume is not striped. The size of each stripe in kilobytes (KB). Bad block relocation policy. Current allocation state, displayed as one of: Physical extents are allocated in an ascending order without any gap between adjacent extents. All physical extents of a given mirror are contained in a single physical volume. Distributed allocation is turned on and any two consecutive logical extents are guaranteed to be located on different physical volumes. See lvcreate(1M) for more information. Distributed allocation is turned on but any two consecutive logical extents are NOT guaranteed to be located on different physical volumes. See lvchange(1M) for more information. Physical extents that belong to the same logical extent can be allocated on the same physical volume or physical volume group. Mirror copies for a logical extent are not allocated on the same physical volume group. Mirror copies for a logical extent are not allocated on the same physical volume. The IO timeout used by LVM for all IO to this logical volume. A value of default, indicates that the system will use the value of "forever". (Note: the actual duration of a request may exceed this timeout value when the underlying physical volume(s) have timeouts which either exceed this value or are not integer multiples thereof.) Display With -v Option If you specify the option, also lists the distribution of each logical volume across the physical volumes of the volume group and the map- ping of each logical extent of the logical volume on the physical extents of the physical volume. The distribution of logical volume lv_path across the physical volumes of the volume group, displayed in the following columns: The block device path name of the physical volume where the logical extents are allocated. The Physical Volume Number in VG (if option is specified). Number of logical extents allocated on the physical volume. Number of physical extents allocated on the physical volume. The mapping of logical extents onto physical extents, displayed in the following columns: Logical extent number. The block device path name of the physical volume that corresponds to the location of the first physical extent of the logical extent. First physical extent number allocated to the logical extent. Status of the first physical extent: or The following columns are displayed if there is at least one mirror copy: The block device path name of the physical volume that corresponds to the location of the second physical extent (first copy) of the logical extent. Second physical extent number allocated to the logical extent. Status of the second physical extent: or The following columns are displayed if there are at least two mirror copies: The block device path name of the physical volume that corresponds to the location of the third physical extent (second copy) of the logical extent. Third physical extent number allocated to the logical extent. Status of the third physical extent: or If there are more than 3 physical extents associated with one logical extent (applicable for logical volumes created within volume groups versions 2.0 or higher only), then a second line of physical extent(s) is displayed for the logical extent. The rest of the line contains the following columns: The following columns are displayed if there are at least three mirror copies: Logical extent number. The block device path name of the physical volume that corresponds to the location of the fourth physical extent(third copy) of the logical extent. Fourth physical extent number allocated to the logical extent. Status of the fourth physical extent: or The following columns are displayed if there are at least four mirror copies: The block device path name of the physical volume that corresponds to the location of the fifth physical extent (fourth copy) of the logical extent. Fifth physical extent number allocated to the logical extent. Status of the fifth physical extent: or The following columns are displayed if there are five mirror copies: The block device path name of the physical volume that corresponds to the location of the sixth physical extent(fifth copy)of the logical extent. Sixth physical extent number allocated to the logical extent. Status of the sixth physical extent: or Compact Listing (-F Option) The option generates a compact and parsable listing of the command output in colon separated fields formatted as value...]. The option is designed to be used by scripts. The resulting command output may be split across multiple lines. The output may include new keys and/or values in the future. If a key is deprecated, its associated value is set to For the current version of the command, the lines format is: The format of Line 1 is as follows: lv_name=value:vg_name=value:lv_permission=value:lv_status=value: mirror_copies=value:consistency_recovery=value:schedule=value: lv_size=value:current_le=value:allocated_pe=value:stripes=value: stripe_size=value:bad_block=value:allocation=value:used_pv=value: io_timeout=value The format of Line 2 is as follows: pv_name=value:le_on_pv=value:pe_on_pv=value The above line may be repeated with different values. The format of Line n is as follows: le=value:pv1=value:pe1=value:status_1=value[:...:pvN=value:peN=value: status_N=value] The above line may be repeated with different values. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the language in which messages are displayed. If is not specified or is null, it defaults to "C" (see lang(5)). If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, all internationalization variables default to "C" (see environ(5)). EXAMPLES
Display information about a logical volume: Display all the available information about a logical volume, including the characteristics, status and distribution map: Display all the available information about a logical volume, but display instead of in the status and distribution map. SEE ALSO
lvchange(1M), lvcreate(1M), lvextend(1M), lvmadm(1M), lvreduce(1M), lvm(7), pvdisplay(1M), vgdisplay(1M). lvdisplay(1M)