Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Permission change query
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Permission change query Post 302216100 by Perderabo on Friday 18th of July 2008 02:43:39 AM
Old 07-18-2008
The number is 3710 and
chmod 3710 dir
should work. Unless your chmod implements silly restrictions against this (as, I believe, Solaris does). In that case, cheat a little bit with...
perl -e 'chmod(03710, shift);' dir

Code:
$ chmod 0 file
$ perl -e 'chmod(03710,shift);' file
$ ls -l file
-rwx--s--T  1 bin  other  41 Jul 18 02:27 file
$

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Timestamp of File permission change

Hi!! Experts, Is there any way to find the timestamp when the permission of a file was modified?? I mean no change to file contents.. Just the chnage of permissions. :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jyotipg
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change permission for directories and files

Is there a way to change subdirectories permission plus the files in the subdirectories in a directory i specified without using the find command? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mingfei2006
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

change permission chmod

Hi, when I launch my perl script, I write on the shell: perl x.pl How I can can change the permission to write only: x to launch the program? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Minguccio75
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Permission Change Upon Reboot

I have a Sun 4800 running on Solaris 9 OS. Each time I reboot the server the permissions on /tmp are change from root/sys 1777 to root/root 775. This causes a problem as I have custom programs the need this directory set to root/sys. I have search the sun site and can't find a solution. Anybody... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gross
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Root cannot change /home permission

Folks; I'm a root but i couldn't change /home directory permission or group. i'm getting operation not permitted. Any help? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: moe2266
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change permission for a set of files

Hi there, I want to change from this permission -r-xr-xr-x to -r-xr-xr-- for a set of files under unix. Can someone help me to go-about doing this in one shot. Cheers, RN (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthickrn
2 Replies

7. HP-UX

could not able change permission of /home dir

Hi i am new to this admin area . i have created user with name as "ab" and gave home dir as /home/ab . when i tried to create the /home/ab dir , i got he following error. "mkdir: Failed to make directory "/home/ab"; Operation not applicable " Thanks in advance . (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: expert
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change the file permission

Guys, I need help. I need to change the .txt file permission after I have reset the file content to 0. The code that reset the file content to 0 is as follows: #!/bin/sh for i in /root/script/*.txt do echo "0" > $i done However, the file is generated by the apache application,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jasperux
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change permission to a directory

Hi, How do i change the permission to read/write to a windows directory? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lg123
1 Replies

10. Linux

Unable to change the permission for directory

unable to chnage the ownership as group does not exist ls -ltr drwxr-xr-x 2 1520291 remote 1024 Sep 25 2014 img root@servername#chown content:remote img chown: img: Not owner (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghur77
1 Replies
CHMOD(1)						      General Commands Manual							  CHMOD(1)

NAME
chmod - change mode SYNOPSIS
chmod mode file ... DESCRIPTION
The mode of each named file is changed according to mode, which may be absolute or symbolic. An absolute mode is an octal number con- structed from the OR of the following modes: 4000 set user ID on execution 2000 set group ID on execution 1000 sticky bit, see chmod(2) 0400 read by owner 0200 write by owner 0100 execute (search in directory) by owner 0070 read, write, execute (search) by group 0007 read, write, execute (search) by others A symbolic mode has the form: [who] op permission [op permission] ... The who part is a combination of the letters u (for user's permissions), g (group) and o (other). The letter a stands for ugo. If who is omitted, the default is a but the setting of the file creation mask (see umask(2)) is taken into account. Op can be + to add permission to the file's mode, - to take away permission and = to assign permission absolutely (all other bits will be reset). Permission is any combination of the letters r (read), w (write), x (execute), s (set owner or group id) and t (save text - sticky). Let- ters u, g or o indicate that permission is to be taken from the current mode. Omitting permission is only useful with = to take away all permissions. The first example denies write permission to others, the second makes a file executable: chmod o-w file chmod +x file Multiple symbolic modes separated by commas may be given. Operations are performed in the order specified. The letter s is only useful with u or g. Only the owner of a file (or the super-user) may change its mode. SEE ALSO
ls(1), chmod(2), chown (1), stat(2), umask(2) CHMOD(1)