Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Change FileHandle
Top Forums Programming Change FileHandle Post 302212889 by findandy on Tuesday 8th of July 2008 04:42:33 PM
Old 07-08-2008
Thanks for the response shamrock. I looked into it but was still unable to get this working. Im using PERL and the POSIX module has a dup2() that is suppose to mimic the c function.

Is there any easy way to determine the File Desc of the old log file? I was hoping i could just enter the path of the oldfile and the path of the new and the function would take care of the rest.

Thanks again for the help

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl: howto print to screen & filehandle

Hello, I need to print messages both to screen and to file handle in perl , like tee does in unix . Any suggestions ? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alalush
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: Opening a filehandle but not getting anything back from it

I have two perl functions defined, both run a set of shell commands on some somplied data and return hashs of the resulting parsed output from these shell commands. One works, one doesn't and I can't seem to see why. It's driving me insane :mad: The working one: sub getcellstatus { ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Smiling Dragon
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to call a shell script from a perl module which uses Filehandle to login

Hi Guru's, Pardon me for the breach of rules..... I have very little knowledge about Shell Programming and Scripting hope you guys help me out of this troble I have very little time hence could not find the right way to direct my queries. coming to the problem I need to call a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saikrishna_tung
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to use the filehandle stored in a variable without knowing its file association

how to use the filehandle stored in a variable without knowing its file association i.e. the filename code my $logFH = $connObj->get('logFH'); infoPrint("Variable is of type IO \n") if(UNIVERSAL::isa($logFH, 'IO')); infoPrint("$logFH\n"); output == INFO :: Variable is of type... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rrd1986
0 Replies

5. Programming

Error:readline() on closed filehandle Perl

Hi, i have run the below perl code and i am getting an error Error:readline() on closed filehandle OR at run.pl line 31. CODE: =========================================== open OR,$ARGV; while (<OR>) { # find the batch date next if length $_ < 3; # BLANK LINE # last if $. > 120; #... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pspriyanka
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh; Change file permissions, update file, change permissions back?

Hi, I am creating a ksh script to search for a string of text inside files within a directory tree. Some of these file are going to be read/execute only. I know to use chmod to change the permissions of the file, but I want to preserve the original permissions after writing to the file. How can I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: right_coaster
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl FileHandle Closure during after unlock

Hi we have one function which is used to append data the file in exclusive lock mode in aperl script. This script is executed by multiple threads at the same time. accessing the same file.this script runs throught the day. sometimes the file2.txt size is getting reduced. for eg from 10 M... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shahul
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change the content of files but not change the date

I have 100 files in a directory , all the files have a word "error" and they are created in different date . Now I would like to change the word from "error" to "warning" , and keep the date of the files ( that means do not change the file creation date after change the word ) , can advise what can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ust3
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change the content of files but not change the date

I have 100 files in a directory , all the files have a word "error" and they are created in different date . Now I would like to change the word from "error" to "warning" , and keep the date of the files ( that means do not change the file creation date after change the word ) , can advise what can... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ust3
7 Replies

10. SCO

How to change raid controller driver ? (hardware change)

Hello I'm trying to virtualize an instance of Sco Unix 5.0.5 in VirtualBox (called VM-A) , but sco I have problems set to launch with the new raid controller . The physical machine has a raid controller adaptec (alad driver) but VirtualBox uses buslogic (blc driver) What ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: flako
3 Replies
explain_dup2_or_die(3)					     Library Functions Manual					    explain_dup2_or_die(3)

NAME
explain_dup2_or_die - duplicate a file descriptor and report errors SYNOPSIS
#include <libexplain/dup2.h> void explain_dup2_or_die(int oldfd, int newfd); DESCRIPTION
The explain_dup2_or_die function is used to call the dup2(2) system call. On failure an explanation will be printed to stderr, obtained from explain_dup2(3), and then the process terminates by calling exit(EXIT_FAILURE). This function is intended to be used in a fashion similar to the following example: explain_dup2_or_die(oldfd, newfd); oldfd The oldfd, exactly as to be passed to the dup2(2) system call. newfd The newfd, exactly as to be passed to the dup2(2) system call. Returns: This function only returns on success. On failure, prints an explanation and exits. SEE ALSO
dup2(2) duplicate a file descriptor explain_dup2(3) explain dup2(2) errors exit(2) terminate the calling process COPYRIGHT
libexplain version 0.52 Copyright (C) 2008 Peter Miller explain_dup2_or_die(3)