Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers List all inactive users who has not logged on since last 90 days Post 302210537 by zaxxon on Tuesday 1st of July 2008 07:15:42 AM
Old 07-01-2008
Why does "last" not work? Does it take endless time until it is done displaying the 2GB wtmp? Or does it bring an error?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to logout inactive users????

I would like to automatically logout from the system inactive users depending on their functions. For example there are users that I would like to logout after 15 minutes of inactivity, but there are others that I would like to logout after 30 minutes of inactivity. It's possible to do this??? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rrivas
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to get list of logged on users sorted

I'm trying to execute a single shell command that will give me a sorted list of all the users currently logged into the system, displaying the users name as it appears in /etc/passwd. I've tried awk -F: '{print $1}' /etc/passwd | xargs finger -s | cut -c11-28 | uniq This list whoever does... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kungfuice
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Make an account inactive after 90 days.

Is this possible? Say I create an account today and in 90 days I want it to be turned off. Is this sort of thing possible using the built in components of a Unix system? (Using Solaris 9) I see things about password expires, but what if the person changes his password on the 89th day,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LordJezo
1 Replies

4. Solaris

List all inactive users who has not logged on since last 90 days

I need actuall script which List all inactive users who has not logged on since last 90 days Thanks in advance. Di! (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: haridham
17 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to do a login time and date list of users never logged on?

Hello, I'm trying to do a list of user that never connected to a couple of servers. I want to do a diff between the servers lists, and print out only the users that never has logged on each server. Here my first step : SERVER01: # finger `egrep -v -e "^\s*#" /etc/passwd | awk '{ print $1 }' |... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gogol_bordello
4 Replies

6. Programming

Get the list of logged in users

How can I get the list of logged in users in the system programmatically? I can get the list with 'who' or 'users' commands but I need to get the list programmatically... May someone help, please? Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyzt
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Users not logged in for last 90 days

Hi, How to find the users who did not login into a UNIX box (thru ssh/ftp or any other way) for last 90 days? I think of using "finger" or "last" command to findout each user's last login and then find number of days between today and that day. Is there any other better way or anyone prepared... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: reddyr
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

(RHEL, Bash) List users and check if they have logged on during the last 2 months

Hi everyone, At work we were told to check the list of users of an application server and delete all those that have left the company or don't need access to the application anymore. Here's what I came up with. Would you be as kind as to tell me your opinion and whether there is a faster / easier... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gacanepa
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to show a list of currently logged in and logging out users?

Hi Guys! I am sure that this question might appeared previously, but I still don't know how to show a list of logged out users. Please help with this! Thanks in advance:) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: saloliubliu
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to find users not logged in for 90 days

Dear All, I need your help in finding out users not logged in to linux system for more than 90 days. I found a script from our forum i am getting error while using that. from the code i have debugged line by line to see where i am getting the problem. i found out the below line i am getting... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sachinlinux
5 Replies
UTMP(5) 						      BSD File Formats Manual							   UTMP(5)

NAME
utmp, wtmp, lastlog -- login records SYNOPSIS
#include <utmp.h> DESCRIPTION
The file <utmp.h> declares the structures used to record information about current users in the file utmp, logins and logouts in the file wtmp, and last logins in the file lastlog. The time stamps of date changes, shutdowns and reboots are also logged in the wtmp file. The wtmp file can grow rapidly on busy systems, and is normally rotated with newsyslog(8). These files must be created manually; if they do not exist, they are not created automatically. #define _PATH_UTMP "/var/run/utmp" #define _PATH_WTMP "/var/log/wtmp" #define _PATH_LASTLOG "/var/log/lastlog" #define UT_NAMESIZE 8 #define UT_LINESIZE 8 #define UT_HOSTSIZE 16 struct lastlog { time_t ll_time; char ll_line[UT_LINESIZE]; char ll_host[UT_HOSTSIZE]; }; struct utmp { char ut_line[UT_LINESIZE]; char ut_name[UT_NAMESIZE]; char ut_host[UT_HOSTSIZE]; time_t ut_time; }; Each time a user logs in, the login(1) program looks up the user's UID in the file lastlog. If it is found, the timestamp of the last time the user logged in, the terminal line and the hostname are written to the standard output, providing the login is not set quiet; see login(1). The login(1) program then records the new login time in the file lastlog. After the new lastlog record is written, the file utmp is opened and the utmp record for the user inserted. This record remains there until the user logs out at which time it is deleted (by clearing the user and host fields, and updating the timestamp field). The utmp file is used by the programs rwho(1), users(1), w(1), and who(1). Next, the login(1) program opens the file wtmp, and appends the user's utmp record. When the user logs out, a utmp record with the tty line, an updated time stamp, and cleared user and host fields is appended to the file by init(8). The wtmp file is used by the programs last(1) and ac(8). In the event of a date change, a shutdown or reboot, the following items are logged in the wtmp file. reboot shutdown A system reboot or shutdown has been initiated. The character '~' is placed in the field ut_line, and reboot or shutdown in the field ut_name (see shutdown(8) and reboot(8)). date The system time has been manually or automatically updated by date(1). The command name date is recorded in the field ut_name. In the field ut_line, the character '|' indicates the time prior to the change, and the character '{' indicates the new time. FILES
/var/run/utmp The utmp file. /var/log/wtmp The wtmp file. /var/log/lastlog The lastlog file. SEE ALSO
last(1), login(1), w(1), who(1), utmpx(5), ac(8), init(8), lastlogin(8), newsyslog(8) HISTORY
A utmp and wtmp file format appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. The lastlog file format appeared in 3.0BSD. BSD
May 14, 2003 BSD