Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: zcat on Linux
Operating Systems Linux zcat on Linux Post 302207328 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 19th of June 2008 02:28:24 PM
Old 06-19-2008
It appears to be correct - you are reading from "-" which is stdin -- in this case the right hand side of the pipe

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

zcat --> Arg list too long

Hi all I have more than 1000 files in a folder and when ever i use a "compress" or "zcat" command it give error /bin/zcat: Arg list too long. . any solution for this :o (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: muneebr
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

zcat two files

Hi, Like cat file1 file2 > file Can I do zcat file1.gz file2.gz > file.gz (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH ZCAT EGREP Shell Script

I created a backup script that emails all the admins when the backup is complete and attaches a log file of what what backed up. On occasion, something happens in which the backups stop working, I started "grep"ing around /var/log/syslog and I usually find the smoking gun. My goal is to zcat... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: metallica1973
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How zcat works?

Hi, just i would like to know, how will be the response if you try to read a 40GB compressed file using zcat. a)Uncompress the 40GB file and have it in the disk. use cat to view the steps. b)Use zcat directly to view the compressed file? What are the steps being occurred in step (b)? Where... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk & zcat not working together

I have a tar file which i want to read and check some specific fields basis on which i want to get output. Code zcat samplefile.tar.gz | awk 'FNR==1 {++counter} counter ==2 {BB=1;next} substr($0,26,2) =="01") {next} (substr($0,28,12) ~ "^") {next} (substr($0,184,3) in BB) {next} 1 '... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: siramitsharma
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[zcat] [gunzip -c] header

Hello, When i lauches this command ssh -n server_name gunzip -c "/REP/xxxx.gz" > server.logThere are a few stray characters like NULNULNULNUL100644 NUL000000NUL000000NUL00024002704 12135060747 012607NUL at the beginning of server.log. In the xxxx.gz there is a tar file I'm not sure but it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: amazigh42
5 Replies

7. Solaris

ZCAT xxx.Z|tar -xvf - decompression slow ?

I have recently built a new server and patched Soalris 10 up tp latest bundle etc... When I run a decompress using the format zcat fred.Z |tar -xvf - it runs at a very slow rate. A similiar server which is less powerful runs over twice as quick. Is there any work arounds to configure decompress... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: smcart
4 Replies
PIPE(2) 							System Calls Manual							   PIPE(2)

NAME
pipe - create an interprocess channel SYNOPSIS
#include <u.h> #include <libc.h> int pipe(int fd[2]) DESCRIPTION
Pipe creates a buffered channel for interprocess I/O communication. Two file descriptors are returned in fd. Data written to fd[1] is available for reading from fd[0] and data written to fd[0] is available for reading from fd[1]. After the pipe has been established, cooperating processes created by subsequent fork(2) calls may pass data through the pipe with read and write calls. The bytes placed on a pipe by one write are contiguous even if many processes are writing. Write boundaries are preserved: each read terminates when the read buffer is full or after reading the last byte of a write, whichever comes first. The number of bytes available to a read(2) is reported in the Length field returned by fstat or dirfstat on a pipe (see stat(2)). When all the data has been read from a pipe and the writer has closed the pipe or exited, read(2) will return 0 bytes. Writes to a pipe with no reader will generate a note sys: write on closed pipe. SOURCE
/sys/src/libc/9syscall SEE ALSO
intro(2), read(2), pipe(3) DIAGNOSTICS
Sets errstr. BUGS
If a read or a write of a pipe is interrupted, some unknown number of bytes may have been transferred. When a read from a pipe returns 0 bytes, it usually means end of file but is indistinguishable from reading the result of an explicit write of zero bytes. PIPE(2)