Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how to extract data from tape. Post 302197541 by djahmed on Wednesday 21st of May 2008 06:43:21 AM
Old 05-21-2008
Tools how to extract data from tape.

i have try tar -xvf command but it returns following error.

tar: 0511-164 There is a media read or write block size error

i have also try to copy data from tape to disk uisng tcopy command , it was succesful but still i am unable to extract data from that file on my disk.

one thing to add that i try to identify that file using an application , and that application show that it was ustar file.

can any one help me out with this..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Backup Data to tape

Hi everyone!!! I have a question on incremental backup`s and full backup`s? We currently use the Round-Robin schema to do full backup`s on a daily basis but want to change that as our data is increasing. I would like to imply the Grandfather-father-Son policy taking a full backup on the 1st of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: donovan
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with DDS data tape

Hi all I have BIG headache with an old unix server I have and I need some help and ideas how to solve them effectively. Thanks in advance ***Story*** I have an OLD SCO OpenServer 5 release 5 server with DDS4 tape device. I also have a box full of DDS4 tapes with data inside. I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: khaos83_2000
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to extract multiple files from tape

Hello everyone, I am having difficulties restoring data from a tape and I was hoping someone could help me. Here it goes. Whenever I type tar -xvf /dev/nst0, only the first file on the tape is restored which means that in the particular tape there are multiple tar files. Can someone please... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: goude
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy data from tape in unix

Dear sir/madam Could you tell me how to copy or get data from tape to any folder in unix? Thanks, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: seyha_moth
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract data from a data matrix with filter criteria

Here is what old matrix look like, IDs X1 X2 Y1 Y2 10914061 -0.364613333 -0.362922333 0.001691 -0.450094667 10855062 0.845956333 0.860396667 0.014440333 1.483899333... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssshen
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract data based on match against one column data from a long list data

My input file: data_5 Ali 422 2.00E-45 102/253 140/253 24 data_3 Abu 202 60.00E-45 12/23 140/23 28 data_1 Ahmad 256 7.00E-45 120/235 140/235 22 data_4 Aman 365 8.00E-45 15/65 140/65 20 data_10 Jones 869 9.00E-45 65/253 140/253 18... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract specific data content from a long list of data

My input: Data name: ABC001 Data length: 1000 Detail info Data Direction Start_time End_time Length 1 forward 10 100 90 1 forward 15 200 185 2 reverse 50 500 450 Data name: XFG110 Data length: 100 Detail info Data Direction Start_time End_time Length 1 forward 50 100 50 ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
11 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

extract cpio backup on tape

Hi, I was wondering, If I take a backup using cpio to tape from UNIX, can I extract data on windows box using cpio for windows? Anybody ever do this? Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yonez
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to erase tape data in unix V4.0 D?

hi! my computer is... System: Digital Personal Workstation 433a Processor: Digital Alpha 21164, 433 MHz Memory: 64 MB OS: Digital Unix Console (SRM), Digital Unix V4.0D how to erase tape data? I tried with mt erase but no success. My tape is 120m. So, how can i erase tape? ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: akz
5 Replies

10. AIX

Extract data from an AS/400 tape

Hello, we received an IBM data cartridge with some data on it. It is a backup of an old IBM AS400 machine that had gone for good some years ago. I am able to extract data from this tape by using dd on a LINUX system: Analysing the received file with forensic software (Xways, haven't tried Encase... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mindmachine
4 Replies
AMRESTORE(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      AMRESTORE(8)

NAME
amrestore - extract backup images from an Amanda tape SYNOPSIS
amrestore [ -r | -c | -C ] [ -b blocksize ] [ -p ] [ -h ] tapedevice | holdingfile [ hostname [ diskname [ datestamp [ hostname [ diskname [ datestamp ... ]]]]]] DESCRIPTION
Amrestore extracts backup images from the tape mounted on tapedevice or from the holding disk file holdingfile that match hostname, diskname and datestamp patterns given on the command line. The tape or holding file must be in a format written by the amdump or amflush program. If diskname is not specified, all backups on the tape for the previous hostname are candidates. If datestamp is not specified, all backups on the tape for the previous hostname and diskname are candidates. If no hostname, diskname or datestamp are specified, every backup on the tape is a candidate. Hostname and diskname are special expression descibe in the "HOST & DISK EXPRESSION" section of amanda(8). Datestamp are special expres- sion describe in the "DATESTAMP EXPRESSION" section of amanda(8). For example, if diskname is "rz[23]a", it would match disks rz2a and rz3a. Datestamp is useful if amflush writes multiple backup runs to a single tape. Unless -p is used, candidate backup images are extracted to files in the current directory named: hostname.diskname.datestamp.dumplevel OPTIONS
-b Set the blocksize used to read the tape or holding file. All holding files must be read with a blocksize of 32 KBytes. Amrestore should normally be able to determine the blocksize for tapes on its own and not need this parameter. The default is 32 KBytes. -p Pipe output. The first matching backup image is sent to standard output, which is normally a pipe to restore or tar, then amrestore quits. It may be run again to continue selecting backups to process. Make sure you specify the no-rewind tapedevice when doing this. Note: restore may report "short read" errors when reading from a pipe. Most versions of restore support a blocking factor option to let you set the read block size, and you should set it to 2. See the example below. -c Compress output using the fastest method the compression program provides. Amrestore normally writes output files in a format understood by restore or tar, even if the backups on the tape are compressed. With the -c or -C option, amrestore writes all files in compressed format, even if the backups on the tape are not compressed. Output file names will have a .Z or .gz extension depend- ing on whether compress or gzip is the preferred compression program. This option is useful when the current directory disk is small. -C Compress output using the best method the compression program provides (may be very CPU intensive). See the notes above about the -c option. -r Raw output. Backup images are output exactly as they are on the tape, including the amdump headers. Output file names will have a .RAW extension. This option is only useful for debugging and other strange circumstances. -h Header output. The tape header block is output at the beginning of each file. This is like -r except -c or -C may also be used to compress the result. Amrecover uses the header to determine the restore program to use. If a header is written (-r or -h), only 32 KBytes are output regardless of the tape blocksize. This makes the resulting image usable as a holding file. EXAMPLES
The following does an interactive restore of disk rz3g from host seine, to restore particular files. Note the use of the b option to restore, which causes it to read in units of two 512-byte blocks (1 Kbyte) at a time. This helps keep it from complaining about short reads. % amrestore -p /dev/nrmt9 seine rz3g | restore -ivbf 2 - The next example extracts all backup images for host seine. This is the usual way to extract all data for a host after a disk crash. % amrestore /dev/nrmt9 seine If the backup datestamp in the above example is 19910125 and seine has level 0 backups of disks rz1a and rz1g on the tape, these files will be created in the current directory: seine.rz1a.19910125.0 seine.rz1g.19910125.0 You may also use amrestore to extract a backup image from a holding disk file that has not yet been flushed to tape: % amrestore -p /amanda/20001119/seine.rz1a.2 | restore -ivbf 2 - Amrestore may be used to generate a listing of images on a tape: % mt -f /dev/nrmt9 rewind % amrestore -p /dev/nrmt9 no-such-host > /dev/null This asks amrestore to find images for host no-such-host. It will not find any entries that match, but along the way will report each image it skips. CAVEATS
GNU tar must be used to restore files from backup images created with the GNUTAR dumptype. Vendor tar programs sometimes fail to read GNU tar images. AUTHOR
James da Silva <jds@cs.umd.edu> University of Maryland, College Park SEE ALSO
amanda(8), amdump(8), amflush(8), tar(1) restore(8) AMRESTORE(8)