Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Code Understand ?
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Code Understand ? Post 302191534 by Perderabo on Friday 2nd of May 2008 06:44:14 PM
Old 05-02-2008
Let's say the basename is just xyz...

if xyz.8 exists then move xyz.8 to xyz.9
if xyz.7 exists then move xyz.7 to xyz.8
if xyz.1 exists then move xyz.1 to xyz.2

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl - understand process status and continue the code execution

Hello, I need advice on how to check if started processes are finished in perl, here's explanation : OS is RHEL 4, perl -v = "This is perl, v5.8.0 built for i386-linux-thread-multi" The logic of the script : #!/usr/bin/perl use warnings; $param1 = $ARGV; $param2 = $ARGV; $param3 =... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sysgate
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unable to understand a awk code

i am not able to understand the following code for awk: $awk -F"|" '{ kount++} >END { for (desig in kount) > print desig,kount }' emp.list the input file i.e. emp.list is :: 3432| p.k.agrwal |g.m |sales 4566|g.l.sharma |director|production 3433|r shah | g.m | production... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: streetfi8er
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to understand Awk code.

Hi Guys, Can someone please explain this code to me. I could figure out it's adding and comparing two fields but I am not sure which ones. sort -t"|" -k3.1 /tmp/mpcashqc.xtr| awk -F"|" '{CHECKAMT+=$3;BATCHTOT=$4;\ items++}END{for(i in CHECKAMT) if (CHECKAMT!=BATCHTOT)... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nua7
6 Replies

4. Programming

Need help with this c++ source code! DOnt understand what some stuff mean.

Okay so I am just starting programming c++. I just started started to red "C++ for Dummies yesterday and theres a lot of things I do not understand from this book and this source code especially. I will first post the full source code and then post questions about certain thing, usually what they... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: orszhak
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

help can't understand the code

Hi All, Good day, i'm just wondering what is the meaning of this code? COUNT_EXTRACTED_FILE=`${ECHO_CMD} "${SE_IN_PATH}${SE_IN_FILE}" | ${AWK_CMD} -F"__" '{print $2}'` Thanks, -niks(newbie) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikki1200
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

can't understand!

Hi All, can you please help me to figured out what's the meaning of this. ${SERVER_DATABASE} -b << EOF 2>>/dev/null THanks, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikki1200
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trying to understand a complex bit of code

Hi, To re-introduce myself, I'm a router guy trying to learn some scripting from the examples in my work place... In a ksh script, one of the script guys wrote the following and I am trying to understand it. I'm hoping someone can explain it to me. The script flow enters a case structure.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Marc G
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help me to understand this code

Hi guys can you please help me to understand this code . tmpArray=(${line//=/ }) Please next time open a new thread in the appropriate forum and use code tags (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandhya.gilla
6 Replies
assert(3C)																assert(3C)

NAME
assert - verify program assertion SYNOPSIS
#include <assert.h> void assert(int expression); The assert() macro inserts diagnostics into applications. When executed, if expression is FALSE (zero), assert() prints the error message Assertion failed: expression, file xyz, line nnn on the standard error output and aborts. In the error message, xyz is the name of the source file and nnn the source line number of the assert() statement. These are respectively the values of the preprocessor macros __FILE__ and __LINE__. Since assert() is implemented as a macro, the expression may not contain any string literals. Compiling with the preprocessor option -DNDEBUG (see cc(1B)), or with the preprocessor control statement #define NDEBUG ahead of the #include <assert.h> statement, will stop assertions from being compiled into the program. Messages printed from this function are in the native language specified by the LC_MESSAGES locale category. See setlocale(3C). See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ cc(1B), abort(3C), gettext(3C), setlocale(3C), attributes(5), standards(5) 30 Mar 2005 assert(3C)