Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Alternate way for echo.
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Alternate way for echo. Post 302172962 by bakunin on Wednesday 5th of March 2008 07:21:04 AM
Old 03-05-2008
You might want to read "12 ways to parse a file" about the topic.

bakunin

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

alternate lines from two files

A basic request two files want to combine them but on alternate lines (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SummitElse
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alternate command for cut

Hello, I have a string below DUMMY=1,2,3,4,5,6 I want to extract fields 1-3 and put it as under in a file 1,2,3 I can do this using cut like below echo $DUMMY | cut -d, -f1-3 But I would be processing more than 15000 such entries and I found that "cut" was using more CPU. So anyone... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mohammed
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

alternate lines

Hi, I'm new to Unix. I want to read the all the lines from a text file and write the alternate lines into another file. Please give me a shell script solution. file1 ----- one two three four five six seven newfile(it should contain the alternate lines from the file1) ------- one... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pstanand
6 Replies

4. Solaris

Self ssl alternate in Solaris

Instead of using an external Certification Authority CA such as Verisgn, in windows I have been told there is something called self ssl ( The server is its own Certification Authority) In Solaris is there such an alternate? In need it for apache. Much appreciate for any guidence. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tirmazi
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wants alternate to the Sleep option??

I am new to Shell Scripting and I need help to write the following script in a different format... This is the current script: #!/usr/bin/ksh environment=rms export environment . $AW_HOME/RETEK/exec/RETEK_ENVAR ls -ltr $MMPOS/RTLOG* | tr -s " " | cut -d " " -f9... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: satyajit007
20 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to correctly use an echo inside an echo?

Bit of a weird one i suppose, i want to use an echo inside an echo... For example... i have a script that i want to use to take users input and create another script. Inside this script it creates it also needs to use echos... echo "echo "hello"" >$file echo "echo "goodbye"" >$file ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mokachoka
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

uniq not working, so any alternate?

Hi, I have these two files . file1 /home/prog/bug/perl /home/prog/bug/ant /home/prog/bug/make /home/prog/bug/gen /home/prog/bug/tiff file2 /home/prog/bug/make /home/prog/bug/gen i want a output file which should contain file1-file2 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: debu182
2 Replies

8. HP-UX

Alternate for wget

Hi, Whats the alternate for wget in HP-UX ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alternate for sed -i in AIX

Experts, At the moment I am working in AIX box where sed -i is not available. My requirement is as below Two files file1 and file2. file1 contains the IP address, its count. file2 contains the Hostname and its corresponding IP address. I would like get the IP address replaced with the apt... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sathyaonnuix
7 Replies
echo(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						  echo(1B)

NAME
echo - echo arguments to standard output SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/echo [-n] [argument] DESCRIPTION
echo writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files and for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of envi- ronment variables. For example, you can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o echo your current-working-directory's full pathname o pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters o pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo "echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w" See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. The shells csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1), each have an echo built-in command, which, by default, will have precedence, and will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. /usr/ucb/echo and csh's echo() have an -n option, but do not understand back-slashed escape characters. sh's echo(), ksh's echo(), and /usr/bin/echo, on the other hand, understand the black-slashed escape characters, and ksh's echo() also understands a as the audible bell character; however, these commands do not have an -n option. OPTIONS
-n Do not add the NEWLINE to the output. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), echo(1), ksh(1), sh(1), tr(1), wc(1), attributes(5) NOTES
The -n option is a transition aid for BSD applications, and may not be supported in future releases. SunOS 5.11 3 Aug 1994 echo(1B)