Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux How to edit /etc/fstab when root was mounted as read only Post 302171573 by ilan on Thursday 28th of February 2008 09:51:09 PM
Old 02-28-2008
Thanks for your time helping me.

i did it like this..
1.boot with a instalation CD and go on to 'linux rescue' mode
2. mount the root partition to some other path other than root (as it is already mounted)
say mount on to /mnt/root
3. and then i got the /etc/fstab editable.

as i had to do this on te same day...i had to ask my *boss* for this trick :-)

again, i will try your approaches too...no harm in knowing more ways to do.

-ilan
This User Gave Thanks to ilan For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Mounted Root Filesystem

In my Solaris 10 based server, I have noticed the following mounts when a use DF -K /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 5062414 3213876 1797914 65% / / 5062414 3213876 1797914 65% /net/se420 I understand the first mount because it appears in my vfstab file and is the mount of root that I would expect.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jimthompson
1 Replies

2. Debian

/ is getting mounted in read-only!

once after the fsck during booting linux(debian 3.0) found some corruption in root (/) partition. Then it corrected it; but problem here is root partition is getting mounted in readonly. Other partitions like /home /tmp /boot are normal (rw). after doing fsck -f for the root partion it finds... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: yogesh_powar
0 Replies

3. Red Hat

RedHat hang after VFS Mounted Root

I can install RedHat ASE3 on a virtual machine (Ram set to 600Mb) without any problems. However if I start a Virtual machine with greater than 600Mb then either try and boot an existing image or install a new one it will stop at the line: VFS: Mounter Root (ext2 fielsystem) Ocastionally I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ralf
1 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

How to find the time a filesystem was mounted without using root privileges

Hi, Im running RHEL. How do I find the time a particular filesystem was mounted? Please Let me know Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: neuralninja
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to find the time a filesystem was mounted without using root privileges

Hi, Im running RHEL. How do I find the time a particular filesystem was mounted? Please Let me know Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: neuralninja
1 Replies

6. Linux

Parameter to edit in /etc/fstab in RH 8.0

Hi All, In RH 8.0, I am not able to mount USB pendrive. I know one method where in /etc/fstab is to be edited, so that it points to a directory /mnt/usb. After that it mount automatically. Unfortunately, i have forgotten the parameter to add in /etc/fstab-can anyone help me please? Thanks... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scriptlearner
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

edit/write the /etc/fstab file

Hi, I comment out some vol group in fstab accidentally. I also comment the swap space in /etc/fstab But I cannot edit /remove it back by using vi /etc/fstab again in init 1 and init 6 . The file system /etc/fstab is read -only . I cannot chmod ..... What can I do in order to recover it ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chuikingman
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Not able to edit files present in mounted directory

I had mount from server A to server B. I am able to access the files present under server B. I can create new files on server B, but i am not able to edit the files which are already present. When i saw the permissions on those files it is 777. can some one tell me why i am not able to edit... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: subbaraju
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

Rc.sysinit mounts root FS then why we have entry in fstab

Hello, In linux /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit mounts root File System as RW during the booting phase. So why we have entry of it in /etc/fstab? Thanks, Nitin (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nitin Pradhan
1 Replies

10. Ubuntu

Create zip file from root owned fstab

I want to zip up my fstab file for backup purposes. This does not work because of permission issues. cd /etc/ zip -u fstab.zip fstab Can I use this with zip? echo xxx | sudo -S or change fstab owner to me? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew77
3 Replies
QUOTAON(8)						      System Manager's Manual							QUOTAON(8)

NAME
quotaon, quotaoff - turn filesystem quotas on and off SYNOPSIS
quotaon [-v] filesystem ... quotaon [-v] -a quotaoff [-v] filesystem ... quotaoff [-v] -a DESCRIPTION
Quotaon announces to the system that disk quotas should be enabled on one or more filesystems. Quotaoff announces to the system that the specified filesystems should have any disk quotas diskquotas turned off. The filesystems specified must have entries in /etc/fstab and be mounted. Quotaon expects each filesystem to have a quota file named quotas located at the root of the associated file system. These defaults may be overridden in /etc/fstab. Available options: -a If the -a flag is supplied in place of any filesystem names, quotaon/quotaoff will enable/disable all the filesystems indi- cated in /etc/fstab to be read-write with disk quotas. -v Causes quotaon and quotaoff to print a message for each filesystem where quotas are turned on or off. FILES
quotas at the filesystem root with user quotas /etc/fstab filesystem table SEE ALSO
quota(1), setquota(2), fstab(5), edquota(8), quotacheck(8), repquota(8) HISTORY
The quotaon command appeared in 4.2BSD. 4.2 Berkeley Distribution January 21, 1996 QUOTAON(8)