Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Processing with AWK and Arrays Post 302166126 by fusionX on Monday 11th of February 2008 04:12:55 AM
Old 02-11-2008
Error Processing with AWK and Arrays

Done, thanks for the help - worked.

Last edited by fusionX; 02-20-2008 at 01:01 AM.. Reason: Job Done. now its owkring.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Two or more arrays in Awk

Hi All, I have been working on awk and arrays. I have this small script: cat maillog*|awk -F: '$2=="SMTP-Accept" && $5~/string/ {lastdate=substr($1,1,8); internaluser=$5; v++} END {for (j in v) {print lastdate, v, j}'| sort>> mail.list This gives me the number of mails users are getting. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nitin
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk arrays

Guys, OK so i have been trying figure this all all day, i guess its a pretty easy way to do it. Right, so i have to column of data which i have gotten from one huge piece of data. What i would like to do is to put both of these into one array using awk. Is this possible?? If so could... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: imonthejazz
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Arrays in awk

Hi, I've written the following code to manipulate the first 40 lines of a data file into my desired order: #!/bin/awk -f { if (NR<=(4)){ a=a$0" "} else { if ((NR >= (5)) && (NR <= (13))) { b=b$0" " } else {if ((NR >= (14)) && (NR <= (25))){ c=c$0" "} ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: catwoman
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk arrays can do this better - but how?

Hi, I have spent the afternoon trawling Google, Unix.com and Unix in a Nutshell for information on how awk arrays work, and I'm not really getting too far. I ahve a batch of code that I am pretty sure can be better managed using awk, but I'm not sure how to use awk arrays to do what I'm... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: littleIdiot
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

arrays in awk

Hi, I have the following data in a file for example: Name="Fred","Bob","Peterson","Susan","Weseley" Age="24","30","28","23","45" Study="English","Engineering","Physics","Maths","Psychology" Code="0","0","1","1","0" Name="Fred2","Bob2","Peterson2","Susan2","Weseley2"... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: james2009
14 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk arrays

Hi Can someone please explain the logic of awk arrays. I have been doing some reading but I dont understand this: #!/usr/bin/gawk -f { arr++; } end { for(i in arr) { print arr,i } } As I understand arr refs the arrays index, so while $2 is a string that cant... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chronics
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

help in awk arrays!

Hi, buddies I am new to shell scripting and trying to solve a problem. I read about arrays in awk that they are quite powerful and are associative in nature. Awk Gurus Please help! I have a file: Id1 pp1 0t4 pp8 xy2 Id43 009y black Id6 red xy2 Id12 new pp1 black I have... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: geli21
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logic for processing 2 arrays

Hi, I need a logic for processing 2 arrays at a same time. x=a,b,c y=d,e now the sequence to be followed is (a,d) , (b,e) , (c,d) , (a,e) , (b,d) , (c,e) and again...(a,d) The sequence should be maintained. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: giri_luck
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk Arrays

So I'm back once again beating my head off a wall trying to figure out how to get this to work. My end goal is to take input such as what's below, which will be capture in real time with a tail -f from a file or piped output from another command: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ShadowBlade72
5 Replies

10. Programming

awk processing / Shell Script Processing to remove columns text file

Hello, I extracted a list of files in a directory with the command ls . However this is not my computer, so the ls functionality has been revamped so that it gives the filesizes in front like this : This is the output of ls command : I stored the output in a file filelist 1.1M... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram
5 Replies
DPKG-AWK(1)						      General Commands Manual						       DPKG-AWK(1)

NAME
dpkg-awk - Utility to read a dpkg style db file SYNOPSIS
dpkg-awk [(-f|--file) filename] [(-d|--debug) ##] [(-s|--sort) list] [(-rs|--rec_sep) ??] '<fieldname>:<regex>' ... -- <out_fieldname> .. DESCRIPTION
dpkg-awk Parses a dpkg status file (or other similarly formatted file) and outputs the resulting records. It can use regex on the field values to limit the returned records, it can also be told which fields to output, and it can sort the matched fields. OPTIONS
-f filename --file filename The file to parse. The default is /var/lib/dpkg/status. -d [#] --debug [#] Each time this is specified, it increased the debug level. -s field(s) --sort field(s) A space or comma separated list of fields to sort on. -n field(s) --numeric field(s) A space or comma separated list of fields that should be interpreted as numeric in value. -rs ?? --rec_sep ?? Output this string at the end of each output paragraph. -h --help Display some help. fieldname The fields from the file, that are matched with the regex given. The fieldnames are case insensitive. out_fieldname The fields from the file, that are output for each record. If the first field listed begins with ^, then the list of fields that follows will NOT be output. BUGS
Be warned that the author has only a shallow understanding of the dpkg packaging system, so there are probably tons of bugs in this pro- gram. This program comes with no warranties. If running this program causes fire and brimstone to rain down upon the earth, you will be on your own. This program accesses the dpkg database directly in places, querying for data that cannot be gotten via dpkg. AUTHOR
Adam Heath <doogie@debian.org> DEBIAN
Debian Utilities DPKG-AWK(1)