Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Use awk to create new folder in current directory Post 302162098 by dennis.jacob on Monday 28th of January 2008 02:59:27 AM
Old 01-28-2008
One more approch...by calling the system command

Code:
echo $a |awk '{system("mkdir directory");}'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

create directory named current date

Since this site solved my problems before, I am back for more (solutions) I down load via a script every day a file that has the same name as the file of the day before. I want to move that file to its own directory like: /archive/jul30 How do I capture the systems date in a script an... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: flowrats
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding files in current directory when 100,000's files in current directory

Hi All I was wondering what is the most efficient way to find files in the current directory(that may contain 100,000's files), that meets a certain specified file type and of a certain age. I have experimented with the find command in unix but it also searches all sub directories. I have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kewong007
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create a directory using current date

Hi, I have a question, is there any way I can, when i create a directory, put the current date on it so that the directory name will be "name-current date"? just curious (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aric87
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Zip recursive content of folder when (not current directory=

Hi, Is there a way to zip the content (recursively) of a folder other then the current directory, and keep the directory structure intact? Example: /var/tmp/myfolder ----------------- file1 ----------------- file2 ----------------- folder1 ------------------------ file3 Now I want... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimih
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create a directory named as the current date

I am preparing a shell script to backup a few config files on a daily basis, with a retention of 30 days. Need some help with syntax/examples: The shell script (running as cron) would require the following: 1. create a sub-directory within a specified (backup) directory, in the format... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: FeNiCrC_Neil
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

current directory in awk

Hello, I want to use the string with the current directory in my awk command. I tried: 'pwd=system("pwd")' but it doesn't work. can please help somebody? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: daWonderer
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create a folder under different user directory

Hello All, I have to write a shell script and use it in informatica. The script has to perform below actions: The script gets executed from edw user. Through the script, a DT folder has to be created under edw_sca user. Is this scenario possible through a SHELL script or not. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bghosh
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to create link, download, and extract in sub-directory

The awk below will create sub-directories in a directory (which is always the last line of file1, each block separated by an empty line), if the number in line 2 (always the first 6 digits in the format xx-xxxx) of file2 is found in $2 of file1. This is the current awk output. If there is a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create directory and sub-directory with awk and bash

In the below I am trying to create a parent directory using the R_2019 line from f1 if what above it is not empty. I then create sub-directories under each parent if there is a match between $2 of f1 and $2. Inside each sub-folder the matching paths in $3 and $4 in f2are printed. If there is no... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to check directory and create missing folder from file

In the below bash I am trying to ensure that all folders (represented by $folders) in a given directory are created. In the file f1 the trimmed folder will be there somewhere (will be multiple trimmed folders). When that trimmed folder is found (represented by $S5) the the contents of $2 printed... (19 Replies)
19 Replies
gvfs-mkdir(1)							   User Commands						     gvfs-mkdir(1)

NAME
gvfs-mkdir - make a directory using the VFS system SYNOPSIS
gvfs-mkdir URI DESCRIPTION
gvfs-mkdir makes a directory specified by an URI using the VFS system. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: URI Specifies the file location in standard URI format. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Create a local directory example% gvfs-mkdir file:///tmp/example Example 2: Create a remote directory example% gvfs-mkdir ftp://example.com/dir ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables: NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The exit value 0 is returned regardless of success or failure. FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gvfs-mkdir Executable to make a directory using the VFS system ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-gvfs | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |Volatile | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
gvfs-copy(1), gvfs-info(1), gvfs-less(1), gvfs-ls(1), gvfs-cat(1) gvfs-monitor-dir(1), gvfs-monitor-file(1), gvfs-mount(1), gvfs-move(1), gvfs-open(1), gvfs-rm(1), gvfs-save(1), gvfs-trash(1), gvfs-tree(1), attributes(5), environ(5) NOTES
Written by Alvaro Lopez Ortega, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2008. SunOS 5.11 25 Mar 2008 gvfs-mkdir(1)