Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to create SQRT function in catenate file Post 302150061 by vgersh99 on Monday 10th of December 2007 02:05:02 AM
Old 12-10-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahjiefreak
Hi,

The answer to this question is:-

1. what "t=sqrt($t)' | bc -l " is supposed to do
2. what is the value of 'h' in "t= h*($3+$2);"
I am basically trying to get an operation of two fields of columns $3 and $2 with multiplication of some constant value(h). These operation will end up giving me a number which is t. Then, this t value I would like to get its square root and assign to a new variable.
Where the 'constant' (h) gets assigned it's value?
What do you think the value of '$t' in 'sqrt($t)' is?
Why are you trying "pipe" 'sqrt($t)' into 'bc -l'? Wouldn't a simple 't=sqrt(t)' be enough?
Quote:
Perhaps I should write as "w=sqrt($t)" |bc -l in the first place.

3. What do think the value of $2 and $1 will be in the 'END' block
4. what's the intent of this: count($1)=$2/t
I would like to divide again the field of column 2 with the square root value to associate with field $1. Basically in my case, $1 is unique line number and $2 is just a numeric value for each line in the file a.txt.
'count($1)' looks like a function 'count' taking a parameter with value of '$1'. And you're assigning '$2/t' to the function. This does not make any sense.
DO mean you want to use the associative array indexed by the value of your FIRST '$1' column? Something like that:
Code:
countArray[$1] = $2/t

Quote:
5. why are you doing this 'cat a.txt'
The cat a.txt is bascially I would like to open the file which contains all the numbers and have 3 fields; $1, $2 and $3.

-Jason
The general awk paradigm for 'reading' files is:
Code:
awk '... awk BODY...' myInputFile.

Last edited by vgersh99; 12-10-2007 at 03:18 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

sqrt

Hi! when i'm trying to compile this lite example on my linux machine I'll get errors and i don't know why.. #include <stdio.h> #include <math.h> /* needed by sqrt() */ int main() { printf("%f", sqrt(10.0)); return (0); } this is the error: /tmp/cc33hNVHK.o: In function... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: CreamHarry
1 Replies

2. Programming

sqrt is not find???

I was writing a simple program in linux, which includes sqrt function of c. I included the math.h. But when I use gcc to compile it, it gave an error message: /home/murat/tmp/ccOv9upo.o(.text+0x4b): In function `main': : undefined reference to `sqrt' collect2: ld returned 1 exit status I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: murataht
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

create function with awk

hi all, i print four variable delimited by comma with awk : awk -F "," '{print $1;$2;$3;$4}' ' if $3="" code ... } i want to extract this information from another file using another awk using the $1 printed awk -v { code } but the problem i can't use two awk in the same code... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamel.seg
2 Replies

4. Programming

create a thread from a returning function

hi all, my requirement is to create a thread by calling another function. i.e i dont call pthread_create directly from main, but by calling another function (createThd - below ), from main. Example: void *thread_function(void *arg) { /* thread function */ int i; rc =... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolwy_pete
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to create alias for a function

Hi, In Unix (AIX/LINUX) how do we create a alias for a UNIX shell function? Please help me with that. Thanks!! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: neeto
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how can i find sqrt of a any number without using expr

hi friends can any body tell me how can i find sqrt of a any given number without using expr in bash shell while i am doing i got some errors please take a look and code is here x=$((( ( sqrt($1) ) | bc ))) echo $x $ sh quadratic-eqn-roots.sh 9 quadratic-eqn-roots.sh: line 12: ( (... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: srinivas2828
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sqrt in bash

Hi, i have a the following script: #!/bin/bash a=3 b=9 let "c= b*a" let "d=sqrt $c " echo $d But when i execute the code, it gives me the an error saying: line 5: let: d=sqrt 27 : syntax error in expression (error token is "27 ") Can any body tell me what I'm doing wrong? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: limadario
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create .txt file by using function?

My Calling script is like below: for file in `echo $LIST_OF_FILES` --listing filenames eg, xyz_meta_20110501_00000789.tar do file_name=`basename $file` <call a function to create .txt file in below format> done Want to generate a .txt file that contains below data in ksh: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vedanta
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create function

I would like to make a perl function , this function could send mail via SMTP and also could import a text file into mail content , that mean I have a text file , want to use this function to send mail via SMTP , the mail content is the text file , would advise how to write this script ? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ust3
1 Replies

10. Programming

A Function To Create A 1 Second Sinewave WAVE Beep File In Python.

sinebeep.py Creating an audio WAVE file called... beep.wav ...that can be played using almost ANY audio player available. This simple DEMO snippet of code generates a 1 second sinewave WAVE file. It IS saved inside the CURRENT drawer so that you can find it... ;o) Note that the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
1 Replies
folders(1)						      General Commands Manual							folders(1)

NAME
folders - list folders and contents (only available within the message handling system, mh) SYNOPSIS
folders [+folder] [msg] [options] OPTIONS
Lists only the name of folders, with no additional information. This is faster because the folders need not be read. Prints a list of the valid options to this command. Lists the contents of the folder-stack. No +folder argument is allowed with this option. Re-numbers mes- sages in the folders. Messages are re-numbered sequentially, and any gaps in the numbering are removed. The default operation is -nopack, which does not change the numbering in the folder. Discards the top of the folder-stack, after setting the current folder to that value. No +folder argument is allowed with this option. This corresponds to the popd operation in the C-shell; see csh(1). The -push and -pop options are mutually exclusive: the last occurrence of either one overrides any previous occurrence of the other. Pushes the current folder onto the folder-stack, and makes the +folder argument into the current folder. If +folder is not given, the current folder and the top of the folder-stack are exchanged. This corresponds to the pushd operation in the C-shell; see csh(1). The -push switch and the -pop switch are mutually exclusive: the last occurrence of either one overrides any previous occurrence of the other. Lists folders recur- sively. Information on each folder is displayed, followed by information on any sub-folders which it contains. Displays only the total number of messages and folders in your Mail directory. This option does not print any information about individual folders. It can be sup- pressed using the -nototal option. The defaults for folders are: +folder defaults to all msg defaults to none -nofast -noheader -nototal -nopack -norecurse DESCRIPTION
The folders command displays the names of your folders and the number of messages that they each contain. The folders command displays a list of all the folders in your Mail directory. The folders are sorted alphabetically, each on its own line. This is illustrated in the following example: Folder # of messages ( range ); cur msg (other files) V2.3 has 3 messages ( 1- 3). adrian has 20 messages ( 1- 20); cur= 2. brian has 16 messages ( 1- 16). chris has 12 messages ( 1- 12). copylog has 242 messages ( 1- 242); cur= 225. inbox+ has 73 messages ( 1- 127); cur= 127. int has 4 messages ( 1- 4); cur= 2 (others). jack has 17 messages ( 1- 17); cur= 17. TOTAL= 387 messages in 8 folders. The plus sign (+) after inbox indicates that it is the current folder. The information about the int folder includes the term (others). This indicates that the folder int contains files which are not messages. These files may be either sub-folders, or files that do not belong under the MH file naming scheme. The folders command is identical to the effect of using the -all option to the folder command. If you use folders with the +folder argument, it will display all the subfolders within the named folder. as shown in the following exam- ple: % folders +test Folder # of messages ( range ); cur msg (other files) test+ has 18 messages ( 1- 18); (others). test/testone has 1 message ( 1- 1). test/testtwo has no messages. TOTAL= 19 messages in 3 folders. See refile(1) for more details of sub-folders. RESTRICTIONS
MH does not allow you to have more than 100 folders at any level in your Mail directory. PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine your MH directory Folder-Protect: To set protections when creating a new folder Folder-Stack: To determine the folder stack lsproc: Program to list the contents of a folder FILES
The user profile. SEE ALSO
csh(1), folder(1), refile(1), mhpath(1) folders(1)